When should I change my oil?

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
OK. As I've stated, I don't put a lot of miles on my Envoy.

The most I put on was the year I retired. 12,479 miles and that was with 2 trips to Florida. So I only need yearly oil changes.

However, I was challenged to start a thread about oil changes by djthumper.

So, here's your chance to up your post count. :wootwoot:

OLM, time or mileage.

Let the discussion begin. :popcorn:

Unless you do a lot of driving in dusty conditions, IMHO, the OLM should be followed.

91RS

Dec 4, 2011
This ought to be a good one! I personally believe the OLM goes WAY to long. I've seen engines slugged up that followed the OLM (even some Cadillac 3.6Ls that use Mobil 1). I usually change my oil every 5k or one year, the last two years since I bought my C55 I had only done around 4k but I expect that to be higher this year since I just traded my 02 for an SS. I also live fairly close to work so I don't really put on tons of miles anyway and I have two cars they get split up on. I just don't think it's worth it to save a few bucks on oil over the long run.

mika

Dec 6, 2011
Well I might change it to soon, I do one every 5000 - 5500 kilometers (3200 -3500 miles). Not hurting anything exept my pocket, there is a few short runs I do where I feel the engine dosen't run long enough to warm every thing up, espesially in the winters cold days. May not be nesessary but it makes me feel better.:biggrin:

Vicompc

Dec 5, 2011
I was changing mine every 3000 miles. I switched my oil to Penzoil high mileage and have gone 7000 miles on the current change. The oil life on the DIC is showing 52% life left. The oil is looking pretty dirty so I'm thinking of chanigng it in the next week or so.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I use the OLM. When it hits between 15 & 20%. I change the wifes at the same time and she does less miles than I do.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I usually run whichever full synthetic is on sale and change it every 7500 miles.
The reason I chose 7500 is my vehicle doesn't have the OLM or it is disabled or something.(The light is there but never comes on)
My manual gave no guidance as to when to change it.
I had an 03 S10 that the manual said to change every 3000 for heavy duty or 7500 for normal use.
I figure if I use the normal use with the 7 qts and synthetic I am in good shape.
The oil always looks good and my 06 doesn't burn any oil.
Been using synthetic since 15k miles.
I've never done an oil analysis though I have been tempted to.
It comes out to me changing my oil about 2X per year. I wouldn't want to change it any less than that.

Ray Dockrey

Dec 6, 2011
I run regular dino oil and change it every 6000-7000 miles. I figure with todays parts and oils and the fact the 4.2 holds 7 quarts I can be safe with the way I am changing it. My change oil light comes on around every 10000 miles which is too long for me.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I never see a light and do not have OLM. So after 5,000ish miles of fairly rough life, I figure the oil needs changed. Sometimes if I will do more often if a lot of heat or wheeling has been part of the life of the oil.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
I don't have the OLM either.. the dealership asks me everytime if I want to go 6,000 or 8,000 miles inbetween changes. I always do 6,000 as my SS does get driven like it should and it sees the track... plus I add the "extra" half a quart since the LS2 motor starves for oil at a WOT or a hard launch..

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
I follow the OLM, use Mobile 1 oil/filter. Oil always comes out visually OK. I also run an extra 1/2 quart in the 4.2L. As it will starve on steep hill climbs.

I ordered a Blackstone Labs oil test kit recently, since the TB is over 100K now. We'll see if I'm doing things correctly or not.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i follow the OLM. usually change once it hits 10%
currently @ 36%, have gone 5170 mi since last change.
if i change @ 10% left, should be @ approx 7,000 mi

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
I am another that follows the OLM. I average around 9k miles between changes, usually having to add a quart or so about mid way. I am at 240k and going strong, so no current worries.

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
Here's my 2cents.
When working for my old company twice I took in my trucks oil (Mobil 1) to have analyzed by the materials, chemical and environmentals team. The team worked on developing and testing new chemicals and materials for our programs.

The short of it was that my oil was both times within specs and tolerance. First time I took it in I changed at my normal 5,000 miles. Second time I took it in when the OLM went off.

I also brought in my motorcycle OIL (amsoil). I changed it before the season ended and then let it sit all winter. Then I drained it before starting brought it in and had it tested. My motorcycle at the time did sit inside. There was a debate going on with a group of us on if it is better to change the oil for the first time at the beginning of the season or end of the last season.

The oil was still within spec and tolerance but they were suprised on the amount of water that was present in the sample. More or less they said that the water should displace with a good warm up. I never did test out the theory. The materials guy that I was working with said that letting old oil sit in the engine should cause no harm, but also believed that the amount of water in the fresh oil would not cause any harm either. Our group never did settle that debate.

Basically from what I learned is that synthetic oil is amazingly durable. As long as it is not subjected to severe conditions for extended periods of time. You can expect that it will still be within spec limits when the OLM says to change it.

With that said the OLM system is a guess, a overestimated but pretty accurate one but a guess none the less. It does not "test" the material with a highend machine. The Visual method for inspection of oil is like visually inspecting tire pressure. Not really that accurate and only really helpful in extreme situations.

For me since I rotate my tires every 5K miles I make sure that I change my oil at the same time. I figure kill two birds during the same time while I am dressed for it.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
my understanding is that our OLM uses an algorithm that takes into consideration things like number of revolutions, temp, time etc and based on that can tell when it is time for a change. I understand it is smarter than just counting revolutions or some kind of hour meter but isn't yet capable of actually analyzing the oil.

coleman

Dec 4, 2011
I always use the OLM, but change it when it gets down to 20%. I had an issue before with the camshaft sensor screen getting clogged (if memory serves) and play it safe.

I use AMSOIL SAE 5W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Oil with the AMSOIL Ea Oil Filters (15,000/25,000 miles). I usually go by what the OLM shows and change it at about 5%. This time around I am going with 15k with an analysis at 5k and again at 10k just to make sure things are still going smooth inside the motor. I know that I will go the 15k in a year as I have a 50 +/- a few miles round trip to work, plus the short trips to town and also being a volunteer fire fighter.

With this oil I could go 25k or a year which ever comes first, and I think it would be a year before I hit the 25k mark. Thats why I opted with the 15k interval. If the 10k analysis shows that the oil is still producing I can always extend it.

There will be more debate on this and I am curious to see what others have to say.

steve

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
Wow 8,000 miles you are a high mileage driver compared to my wife with her Rainier. She is a 4,000 - 5,000 mile a year driver and that includes our trips back and forth to the lake all summer. I just wait unti the olm shows it is getting close to maybe 10% or 20% and get it done.

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
Correct OLM does not analyze the oil.

As I said the OLM is guess. Pretty accurate but still a guess. Because it is a calculation based upon a number a factors and the knowledge about how those factors influence the standard degradation of the oil based upon a standard curve. One thing to note is that the OLM guess is based upon OIL's that meet the GM specs for that engine. The OLM is not the same calculation for all vehicles it is modified based upon the tests for that engine, recommended oil. The OLM I believe reading recieved a modified algorithm after the engine change between 05 - 06.

I will try to say this differently Oil degrades based upon a soft curve and not a hard curve. This curve though can be influenced by factors: driving habit, temp, environment,etc. This can and does speed up the degradation of the oil. It is not like one day it is good and the next it is bad. As one funny ME once said to me, it is a level of goodness. Each engine (or Mechanical device) has different spec levels where a given OIL can operate and the mechanical device will continue to function within its operating parameters.

The OLM is a calculated guess based upon the statistics of how oil has degraded from environmental factors. No more, no less. Additionally the GM OLM is a conservative or Overestimated guess in my opinion. Meaning that the % life that GM calculates is always less then the % life that is actually left based on if you did an analysis of the Oil.

When the OLM went off for me using Mobil 1 I had 8K miles on the truck. The person that did analysis on my oil said that it was only about 60% degraded and was well within the tolerance and spec limits. So if I had to wager we could probably go 10K or more miles on Mobil 1 between changes.

But as I said before I change at 5K because it dosen't hurt anything and I have to do the tires anyways.... Oh yea might as well check the trans stick, Tire pressure, coolant level, and windshield washer level well at it. I just think 5K miles is a good round number to do maintenance.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If I do have a change oil light it has never come on. I changed my oil before my vacation in 2010 because it had 3500 miles on it and the oil was changed just before I bought it from the previous owner. I wanted to see when the light came on and it has not come on. That oil change went for almost 15000 miles but I started to have a problem with it throwing codes to do with the CPAS with as low of a mileage that I had on the truck did not believe the codes. I checked the oil and it had gotten pretty dark so I decided to change the oil. I still have not gotten the change oil light to come on nor has it been reset. Running a synthetic blend I feel pretty comfortable to say i can easily do 10000 miles on an oil change and still be fairly conservative.

I didn't really challenge you to start the thread, I pretty nominated you since the discussion in the other thread started to get off topic. I figured you brought it up why not you start the new topic. :biggrin:

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Not a problem. :wink:

I'd been thinking about starting the thread, just needed a kick in the ass to do it.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
OK. As I've stated, I don't put a lot of miles on my Envoy.

The most I put on was the year I retired. 12,479 miles and that was with 2 trips to Florida. So I only need yearly oil changes.

OLM, or mileage.

I'm not even going to read the responses to this thread, there is only one answer, and that is BOTH.

If the OLM comes on, change the oil, if 12 months pass and the light does not come on, change the oil.

Of course, I read some of the responses and here is one that is typical of most car/truck owners.

walterc4553 said:
But as I said before I change at 5K because it dosen't hurt anything

"It doesn't hurt anything", do you think companies like GM spent $$$$$$$$ to just give the owner one more light on the dashboard.

Let's talk about what it hurts................................... The US is completely dependent upon foreign oil and we (you) dump millions of gallons of completely good motor oil every day.

What does it hurt, it hurts my pocket, your pocket and the enviroment............that's what it hurts.

Get smart people, use the OLM.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
RayVoy said:
The US is completely dependent upon foreign oil and we (you) dump millions of gallons of completely good motor oil every day.

What does it hurt, it hurts my pocket, your pocket and the enviroment............that's what it hurts.

Uh oh, you lost me the instant you mentioned the environment. Also the fallacy of composition is rampant in this post. I do agree that people have fallen for the 3000 mile marketing myth. Everytime I get the oil changed, the write the miles for the next change in at 3000 miles more than I have at the time.

Joe D 04

Dec 5, 2011
Every 5K on the dot with Mobile 1 full synthetic.

I drive a lot, so I change it once every two months it seems.

165,000 with original drive train. Runs flawlessly.

Brian@work

Dec 5, 2011
I go by the OLM on my wifes TB which averages out to be about once a year. My S-10 gets changed about every 5,000 miles. The only reason I change it more often is the 4.3L motors are notorious for blowing intake manifold gaskets so keeping the oil changed makes me keep an eye on other fluids as well. With 194K miles it's better to be safe than sorry.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I change mine (full synthetic) about every 7500 miles. I expect I could go 10k or more but every 7500 miles is about 2X per year for me and it guarantees I will crawl under my truck at least 2X per year and take a look at things.

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
RayVoy said:
Let's talk about what it hurts................................... The US is completely dependent upon foreign oil and we (you) dump millions of gallons of completely good motor oil every day.

.... Well how about you get smart. I don't dump my oil I recycle it. And unlike what you are saying upwards of 60% of the used oil in this nation is recycled into either synthetic or Heating oil. This number has been increasing every year. This is because the quick lube/dealer places which 60-70% of the nation use, are required by either state or company requirements to recycle. I think we all should be recycling it. In fact I use that recycled Oil. I use full synthetic so again has nothing to do with what you are talking about or suggesting. Additionally it is helping, not hurting the environment because much of syn oil is reused and recycled again.

You should probably "Get smart" and realize that the trend is that more manufacturers are recommending synthetic and more Quick Lube/Dealers are using synthetic as their base oil. To that point on many GM cars now require the Oil to meet specs for DexOS1 and DexOS2. If you don't use an oil that meets those specs (and have recipts to prove) they can deny your warranty, a nice fine print clause written into my malibu's warranty. Oh and Mobil 1 meets those specs and I keep my receipts.

As for your statements on influencing price. Lets break this down. What is a barrel of oil going to
19.15 Gal. Gasoline
09.21 Gal. Diesel Fuel
01.75 Gal. Heating Oil
01.76 Gal. Heavy Fuel Oils (Residuals)
03.82 Gal. Jet Fuel
01.72 Gal. L.P.G.
07.27 Gal. Misc. Other Products

Of that the Consumer grade oil for engines is just a fraction of a percent of the Misc. In fact because of the increased demand for synthetic oils, the dino oils are being reduced in demand for consumers and the spare demand is going to consumer goods (such as plastics) which has helped reduce (keep constant during inflation) the price of consumer goods. .

So for you to say that I am, or any person that changes more frequently then the OLM recommends, in any way influencing the price of Oil, is just an uneducated false reality.

Again I will say it again, it dosen't hurt a thing to change it more often. In fact it could be helping to extend the life of my engine (on a rusting body). And until you are willing to give up your time for free to change it for me, off cycle of my tire rotations, I don't see any point in waiting for the OLM.

I am not against using the OLM and in fact I think for many people it makes since. But the logistics of changing off cycle of the tire rotation for me do not make any common since.

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
Jkust said:
Also the fallacy of composition is rampant in this post.

What do you mean fallacy of Composition?

I am guessing you mean the composition of the oil and the belief that it is different.

Well I have to agree and disagree.
I will give you this all DinoOils are almost all the same. Some do have additives like "cleaners" and "conditioners" like castrol (ever notice the white foam like substance when using castrol... this is the breakdown of one of it's additives).

I will also give you this, that most Synthetic Oil is pretty close to the same. If you have the Syn Oil's tested until complete breakdown using extreme mechanical tests it will show some difference. AMSOIL is really better and meets higher specs then say a bottom grade Syn. But in the reality of the spectrum for consumer use (abuse) they are actually pretty close.

But comparing DinoOil directly to SynOIL is like comparing a 1980 vette (worst year in my opinion) to a base C6 Vette.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
walterc4553 said:
.... Well how about you get smart. I don't dump my oil I recycle it. And unlike what you are saying upwards of 60% of the used oil in this nation is recycled into either synthetic or Heating oil. This number has been increasing every year. This is because the quick lube/dealer places which 60-70% of the nation use, are required by either state or company requirements to recycle. I think we all should be recycling it. In fact I use that recycled Oil. I use full synthetic so again has nothing to do with what you are talking about or suggesting. Additionally it is helping, not hurting the environment because much of syn oil is reused and recycled again.

You should probably "Get smart" and realize that the trend is that more manufacturers are recommending synthetic and more Quick Lube/Dealers are using synthetic as their base oil. To that point on many GM cars now require the Oil to meet specs for DexOS1 and DexOS2. If you don't use an oil that meets those specs (and have recipts to prove) they can deny your warranty, a nice fine print clause written into my malibu's warranty. Oh and Mobil 1 meets those specs and I keep my receipts.

As for your statements on influencing price. Lets break this down. What is a barrel of oil going to
19.15 Gal. Gasoline
09.21 Gal. Diesel Fuel
01.75 Gal. Heating Oil
01.76 Gal. Heavy Fuel Oils (Residuals)
03.82 Gal. Jet Fuel
01.72 Gal. L.P.G.
07.27 Gal. Misc. Other Products

Of that the Consumer grade oil for engines is just a fraction of a percent of the Misc. In fact because of the increased demand for synthetic oils, the dino oils are being reduced in demand for consumers and the spare demand is going to consumer goods (such as plastics) which has helped reduce (keep constant during inflation) the price of consumer goods. .

So for you to say that I am, or any person that changes more frequently then the OLM recommends, in any way influencing the price of Oil, is just an uneducated false reality.

Again I will say it again, it dosen't hurt a thing to change it more often. In fact it could be helping to extend the life of my engine (on a rusting body). And until you are willing to give up your time for free to change it for me, off cycle of my tire rotations, I don't see any point in waiting for the OLM.

I am not against using the OLM and in fact I think for many people it makes since. But the logistics of changing off cycle of the tire rotation for me do not make any common since.

You sure like to ramble :biggrin:

I don't have time to dig out stats, but most drivers are still using dino and most are still changing at 3, or 5, thousand miles; AND YES, I am aware that most (if not all) changing locations re-cycle the used oil.

And, you think the re-cycling process is not without environmental costs?

Keep the oil (and, I don't care if it's dino, or syn) in the engine longer and REDUCE the number of times it gets re-cycled.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
RayVoy said:
.... The US is completely dependent upon foreign oil.../QUOTE]

Yes it sucks! Canada Seeks to Grow China Sales Amid
“Canada is the biggest foreign supplier of oil to the U.S., and supplies the country with almost a quarter of its crude imports, twice what Saudi Arabia does”

Maybe Canada could sell more to the U.S and less to China, maybe Canada could get the econuts to chill, and liberal WH boob’s to build the pipeline.

RayVoy said:
....Get smart people,...

Better Yet "Drill Baby Drill" I would love to loose that dependency on foreigners.

You know I was at Costco gas station the other day in Bellingham, WA and could’nt figure out way the line for gas was 90% North of the U.S. Border folks, they all had trunks full of gas cans they were filling up :yes:

Dependency :confused:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
jbones said:
RayVoy said:
.... The US is completely dependent upon foreign oil.../QUOTE]

Yes it sucks! Canada Seeks to Grow China Sales Amid
“Canada is the biggest foreign supplier of oil to the U.S., and supplies the country with almost a quarter of its crude imports, twice what Saudi Arabia does”

Maybe Canada could sell more to the U.S and less to China, maybe Canada could get the econuts to chill, and liberal WH boob’s to build the pipeline.

Better Yet "Drill Baby Drill" I would love to lose that dependency on foreigners.

You know I was at Costco gas station the other day in Bellingham, WA and could’nt figure out way the line for gas was 90% North of the U.S. Border folks, they all had trunks full of gas cans they were filling up :yes:

Dependency :confused:
Hey guys, I'm not suggesting Canadians are not at fault, the only difference between Canada and the US is that our petroleum products carry more taxes, resulting in higher retail prices.

Canadians, Americans and most of the world waste petroleum products.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
RayVoy said:
Keep the oil (and, I don't care if it's dino, or syn) in the engine longer and REDUCE the number of times it gets re-cycled.

How long should it stay in? I dont have an OLM. Will you replace my engine if it fails, because changes every 2000-5000 mi has treated it well?

walterc4553

Dec 5, 2011
RayVoy said:
You sure like to ramble :biggrin:

I don't have time to dig out stats, but most drivers are still using dino and most are still changing at 3, or 5, thousand miles; AND YES, I am aware that most (if not all) changing locations re-cycle the used oil.

And, you think the re-cycling process is not without environmental costs?

Many people at work tell me that I have a problem with verbal diarrhea. Others tell me my e-mail verbosity is amazing. Don't know if I should say thanks or I'm sorry either way :thumbsup:

I would agree that most quicklubes are still using Dino and are recommending 3 or 5K miles. But dealers must follow the maintenance guidelines and manufacturers are moving to longer intervals and Syn. So it will not be long before the quicklubes change to Syn as the standard. In fact some already are.

As for the re-cycling process. 70 - 75% of the used oil is burned for Home Fuel Oil. Really there are not that many environmental costs. They add some stabilizers and call it good. It burns pretty dirty... but no worse then some other things we burn.

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
I'm curious, my TB has DIC and I was wondering at what percentage should my oil get changed. Right now its @ 74% or would it be best to change oil by mileage?

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
How long should it stay in? I dont have an OLM. Will you replace my engine if it fails, because changes every 2000-5000 mi has treated it well?

I read in the other thread that you use dino still right? Why not get a Blackstone Labs test and find out? My kit is in the mail.

I use synthetic/a good filter, and when my OLM goes off I know it's time for me to get around to the oil.... when I feel like it. (I'm about a thousand over right now... I'll probably do it this weekend).

We'll see if I'm doing it right or not. :biggrin:

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TexazReece said:
I'm curious, my TB has DIC and I was wondering at what percentage should my oil get changed. Right now its @ 74% or would it be best to change oil by mileage?

That's pretty much what this thread is about.

How many miles since the last oil change?

IMHO, you can safely go to 25% but not more than one year.

de3jr88

Dec 8, 2011
Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
I love how this thread went from a discussion about OLM or mileage, to a political discussion about Canadian supplying oil to the USA and the environment. I use my OLM as a guide, but change my oil about every 7500 KM.

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
de3jr88 said:
I love how this thread went from a discussion about OLM or mileage, to a political discussion about Canadian supplying oil to the USA and the environment. I use my OLM as a guide, but change my oil about every 7500 KM.

When the country is being run down hill by one person then another group of similar people, it permeates any part of society until it gets corrected. Now back to the OLM...My 2000 GM minivan has one too and I've owned it forever and it takes a good 5,000 or longer miles to finally go off. There is no % monitor, it just turns on when it is time.

Interesting after my 07 Rainier got a whole bunch of stuff done to it including a new computer, the OLM % is dropping really quickly. I think it is down to 64% and it has been driven maybe 600 miles since the oil change. All local short trips. It is like the olm isn't matching the actual miles driven all the sudden.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
walterc4553 said:
Many people at work tell me that I have a problem with verbal diarrhea. Others tell me my e-mail verbosity is amazing. Don't know if I should say thanks or I'm sorry either way :thumbsup:.
Haha, neither, I just like a good argument (ah...discussion), you, my friend, are a worthy opponent :thumbsup:

Jkust said:
the OLM % is dropping really quickly. I think it is down to 64% and it has been driven maybe 600 miles since the oil change. All local short trips. It is like the olm isn't matching the actual miles driven all the sudden.
I've noticed the same with my Avalanche. If I compare it to the '05 Envoy, I had, it falls real fast after an oil change then slows down; but, it comes on about 2k earlier than the Envoy :undecided:

Wooluf1952

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
RayVoy said:
I've noticed the same with my Avalanche. If I compare it to the '05 Envoy, I had, it falls real fast after an oil change then slows down; but, it comes on about 2k earlier than the Envoy :undecided:

Might that have to do with the difference in oil capacity?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online