When did your OEM Air springs fail?

At approximately how many miles did your OEM air bag/springs fail??

• less than 50,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 200,000 +

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
New owner here and seems like I find a number of threads where people are replacing their worn out air springs for standard coil springs. I just wanted to see if there was a typical failure time to plan for the maintenance. Thanks.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Yea, too many variables to guess. Leak in an air line, compressor goes dead, leak in the airbag itself. Just too many. If you're worried about it that much, then just switch to springs as soon as you can and forget about it. But if everything is fine, then don't bother with it.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
The only variable I was interested in was the bag/spring itself, not lines or other parts. I was merely curious. If this was a bad question to ask I can ask a mod to delete the poll. I had thought that if there was enough replies that a general trend could be noted is all.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Not a bad question at all. You'll never get opinions/answers if you don't ask. Alot of us swap to springs for various reasons, one being when the part fail. Others would be to lower the vehicle, to have better/upgraded suspension and so forth. But to switch to the springs, you will have to deal with the lines, sensors, and conpressor. Meaning capping off or completely taking the lines out, positioning the sensors so the air compressor doesn't run constantly, etc... So keep that in mind too.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Thanks for the reply. For those going for lift/lowering it may make a lot of sense to ditch the air system, no issue there. For the rest that want a stockish daily driver, what makes it worthwhile to do all that conversion vs. simply getting a new pair of air springs?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Most people that have them fail are the ones that are only on here when they have an issue like that lol. I think arnott has some kind of deal set up for us here if we replace them with their bags.

Dec 4, 2011
When my bags failed i replaced them with the Arnott lifetime warranty ones. we will see how that works. I like the bags for towing.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
195,000 kms and still good. If mine go then Arnott bags will be the replacement. I like the air bags for use with my trailers and various weights, ride height is always the same. Even if I fill up the gas tank with engine running the bags will increase the height as I pump the fuel. I likes em lots!

If I need more tongue weight then Arnott springs with Air Ride 1000 bags to handle the heavy load.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
D'nD - I forget what you tow? Travel trailer?

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
Bow_Tied said:
D'nD - I forget what you tow? Travel trailer?
20140809_200625.jpg

Just kidding it's 41' and 12000 lbs, probably would pop the bags and lift up the front wheels. I couldn't find a trailer I liked that I could tow so I went crazy big and had it towed. I had it delivered to a seasonal park and just drive up to it every weekend.

I only tow a enclosed snowmobile trailer and a utility trailer. Not much weight at all really.

My friend put the air lift 1000 in his Sierra and it's an awesome set up.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Bow_Tied said:
New owner here and seems like I find a number of threads where people are replacing their worn out air springs for standard coil springs. I just wanted to see if there was a typical failure time to plan for the maintenance. Thanks.
I replaced the bags at 55K because I felt that it might be time. It was a waste of time and money because the original bags looked like new and I resold them and the guy was thrilled to get them.
From this site and others I have come to the belief that 9 out of 10 times any problems will be with the compressor unit which also houses the brains and valving of the system.
I purchased an OEM compressor from Arnott to have on hand and if I end up not using it I can sell it quick on line.
The air ride system is well thought out, very reliable and works as advertised. Most high end SUVs us some form of it.
I can understand why the off roaders would want to swap to springs but, for a DD .... I'm a Airhead :thumbsup:

jflood1274

Jan 20, 2014
Our stock (Wabsco) compressor is a very well made unit. But like any electrical motor, it will fail after excessive use. If your SUV is sagging, the compressor will refill it but that indicates a leak. Repeated leaking and filling puts an undue burden on the compressor. Most common sources of leaks are the airbag springs and the check valve in the compressor. Both are fairly easily serviced and fairly inexpensive compared to the cost of a new compressor. I replaced my airbags this weekend at 140,000 miles. Used Arnott Gen 2 bags. Total time: 35 minutes

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Thanks for the continued feedback.

How often should the compressor cycle? I notice that mine cycles after each start up, after putting in park upon completing my journey. Sometimes in between during passenger exchange... sometimes just driving along it can be within 10 minutes other times much longer. I wonder if temperature swings impact things?
Comments?

jflood1274

Jan 20, 2014
How long does yours run? Mine runs about 10 to 12 seconds at startup with no noticeable effect on ride height. Do you notice your rear end raising when compressor is running. You can gauge it by the rear defroster lines as a sight guide

jflood1274

Jan 20, 2014
My last reply may be misleading. By no noticeable effect I mean only an inch or so of lift. Meaning I probably still have a slight leak in my system. I did not change the check valve on the motor as I was able to remove bags and reinstall without disconnecting motor from chassis. I plan on dropping the motor and changing that check valve when temperatures rise enough to make it comfortable to do so. I have heard of unusual compressor function in cold temps but have never experienced that myself.

Bow_Tied

Original poster
Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I have not measured the change in height on startup, it isn't perceptible sitting in the truck that I remember... however I usually use the remote starter in the morning.
Yes, it might run that long. I'd say 5-10 seconds usually, never more than 15, as a guess.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.