When Did Your Fuel Pump Fail (or has it yet)??

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
I've got a general question about how long fuel pumps last, these days. Used to always be that they failed around 140k miles, but I'm not sure that's the case on post-2000 vehicles.

So the question is, when did your fuel pump fail, and/or what mileage is currently on your TB or other post-2000 GM car/truck/SUV without ever having failed a fuel pump?

Thanks,
Mike

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
This will be interesting. My 03 TB is at 134k miles on original fuel pump, knock on wood.
I try to not let it get below 1/4 tank, and dread the day I have to drop the tank.

RayGumm

Apr 16, 2014
I dread the tank dropping as well.

Had a fuel pump failure on a 1998 Cavalier at about 165K. Shop wanted $850 to replace it with an AC-Delco pump (only brand available), and that was $50 more than I paid for the car 2 years prior. So I sold it to the shop for $350 and kept it movin'. I hated that friggin car. Unrelated: It blew a heater core and cracked the radiator halfway to the Outer Banks NC summer 2009 in Norfolk VA. Cost $600 at a shop to fix, more than double our vacation budget (we were camping) and wrecked an entire day of vacation. Had to borrow money to complete the trip. Sucked. Hated that car.

As far as the 06 TB LS, I have 148k on the clock, and I am pretty sure it is the factory fuel pump. Still hummin, even after having flaky wiring on the fuel pump relay that caused intermittent failures about a month ago. Knock on wood...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
200k miles on my 02 with original pump :biggrin:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I got to 150K on my TB and changed it as preventative maintenance.

For C/Ks and gmt800s 120k seems to be the average before they die.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
99 suburan, 300+km and still original
02 s-10 blazer, 335+km and still original
08 TBLT 99+ miles still original
05 Tahoe 130+miles, still original
06 escalade 450+km, still original

Reactions: RayGumm

Jul 24, 2012
I got 200-ish K miles out of mine.

It might not have been bad, I later figured out I might have just run out of gas and then not put enough in from the "emergency gallon" to actually get fuel to the engine.

But it was a bad fuel gauge sensor that had me guessing on fuel mileage anyway, so whether or not I needed a new pump I got one with a new sending unit. The sending unit lasted until about 170K

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
The '05 Envoy had around 130,000 miles when I traded, the original pump was still in it.

The current '09 Avalanche is pushing 100,000 miles, pump is original; but I had to replace the pump control module this past spring. I complained about the location (under the truck, above the spare) and I got a new one for free.

Prior to the Envoy, I had 3 different S10 trucks, each had to have a new pump before I passed them along.

Rogue92

Apr 19, 2014
Knock on wood....my '06 is at 105,100 miles and has the original fuel pump (I think). I bought it at 85,000 miles in 2011...don't know if the fuel pump was changed prior to that.

cstern71

Feb 16, 2014
RayVoy said:
The '05 Envoy had around 130,000 miles when I traded, the original pump was still in it.

The current '09 Avalanche is pushing 100,000 miles, pump is original; but I had to replace the pump control module this past spring. I complained about the location (under the truck, above the spare) and I got a new one for free.

Prior to the Envoy, I had 3 different S10 trucks, each had to have a new pump before I passed them along.
I concur about the S10s. Replaced mine on the S10 at around 125k.

My TB might still be on the original at 132k. The po didn't mention changing it and he owned it from 36k to 127k, so I'll assume its original.

Revans381996

Dec 18, 2013
I have 163,000 miles on my 03 trailblazer lt. Still on the original pump, knock on wood. I seriously do not want to drop the tank to replace it if it ever crape out

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
165K on TB with original pump

2002 Impala got a pump at 185K but was actually not the real problem and stock pump was still working.

jailfood

Dec 7, 2011
Somewhere near 185k. But I live in the rust belt.

The tank drop on the TB wasn't all that hard. Of course most of the gas pumped itself onto the road first.

FYI the pump was like 300 bucks and my mechanic wanted more than that to do the work. Even if it would have taken 2 days to do I wouldn't have paid. It took about 2 hours to take out.

Sir ffeJ

Dec 1, 2011
06 TB 75,000 still orignal.

Replaced pump on my 79 camaro with 300 plus miles.

Bartonmd

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Wait... If the gas pumped itself onto the road, you had a leaking fuel line, not a bad fuel pump...

Mike

Reactions: HARDTRAILZ

mpd13078

Aug 1, 2014
I bought my 2002 Trailblazer in 2004 with 35K miles, only one previous owner & now it has over 125K miles & still has the original:

Fuel Pump
Water Pump
Starter
Alternator
A/C Compressor
Front Shocks
Transfer Case Encoder Motor
Ignition Module

I keep up on all of the fluid changes & flushes myself, other regular maintenance.
I have replaced the following:

Front & Rear stabilizer bar linkages
Front Left Tie Rod End
Both Front Wheel Hub Bearings
Cam Shaft Position Solenoid Actuator
Both Front Upper Ball Joints
Crankshaft & Camshaft Sensors

Justavillain

Aug 3, 2014
I just bought my trailblazer but it was my mom's before I got it and know she replaced it at 130k. The shocks and struts are out and just started the 1-2 shift delay and that was the straw that broke her down to buy a new suv.

Major replacements
Fuel pump 130k
All shocks, struts, sway links 131k
Tie rod ends 125k
Ball joints 125k
Radiator 100k
Wheel bearings all 4 done between 100k and 120k
And the upstream o2 sensor around 80k there may have been a few other major maintenance items but that's most

808_LS_EXT

Aug 28, 2014
Justavillain said:
I just bought my trailblazer but it was my mom's before I got it and know she replaced it at 130k. The shocks and struts are out and just started the 1-2 shift delay and that was the straw that broke her down to buy a new suv.

Major replacements
Fuel pump 130k
All shocks, struts, sway links 131k
Tie rod ends 125k
Ball joints 125k
Radiator 100k
Wheel bearings all 4 done between 100k and 120k
And the upstream o2 sensor around 80k there may have been a few other major maintenance items but that's most

mpd13078 said:
I bought my 2002 Trailblazer in 2004 with 35K miles, only one previous owner & now it has over 125K miles & still has the original:
Fuel Pump
Water Pump
Starter
Alternator
A/C Compressor
Front Shocks
Transfer Case Encoder Motor
Ignition Module

I keep up on all of the fluid changes & flushes myself, other regular maintenance.
I have replaced the following:

Front & Rear stabilizer bar linkages
Front Left Tie Rod End
Both Front Wheel Hub Bearings
Cam Shaft Position Solenoid Actuator
Both Front Upper Ball Joints
Crankshaft & Camshaft Sensors
Interesting, you both did not mention fan-clutch...

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
mpd13078 said:
Fan clutch is still original, too.
Highly doubt it... I think PO replaced many parts, and soon realized he might have a money pit in his hands and dished it...

I think I've had 3 or 4 clutches replaced, soon will be another...

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My last failure was on a 97 Tahoe, at 125k the brushes on the pump motor wore through the copper plated plastic armature. I cut an access hole in the cargo area floor and never had to empty/drop the tank. Older cars and some of the newer ones had access covers from the factory...Mike.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
KNBlazer said:
Highly doubt it... I think PO replaced many parts, and soon realized he might have a money pit in his hands and dished it...

I think I've had 3 or 4 clutches replaced, soon will be another...
Definitely possible. Mine's original also, 202k miles, but it did start acting a little funny a little bit ago and just this week threw a clutch code. But they can last a long time, but seems luck of the draw.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
It must be the luck of the draw. Mine is original clutch with 134k miles.
I read a story about this clutch in Motor Mag. a number of years ago about the design of the
valve in the hydraulic control system. It is a solenoid operated needle and seat with rubber tip,
similar to the float valve in a carburetor. There were comments that it depended on what position
it was in when shut down, that the valve might stick on next start up. In the ten years that I have
driven my TB, there have been maybe a dozen times that it (fan) sounded off at start up, and never
set a code. Knock on wood again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online