wheels without spacers

deonlj2

Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
I'm just finishing putting Marks 2.5 lift. I going leave the factory size tires on for now, but going to have to get new tires before the end of summer. I was wondering if there is anyone running larger tires, more than an inch bigger than factory with out spacers. If you are can you let me know what kind of wheels and the offset/back spacing.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
deonlj2 said:
I'm just finishing putting Marks 2.5 lift. I going leave the factory size tires on for now, but going to have to get new tires before the end of summer. I was wondering if there is anyone running larger tires, more than an inch bigger than factory with out spacers. If you are can you let me know what kind of wheels and the offset/back spacing.

I'm running incubus poltergeist wheels...+22 offset...tires are 265 70 17.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
With the stock rims you might be able to get a way with 255s but that is just a WAG. I ran 265s with the stock rims and there is no way you are going taller without wheel spacers.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
djthumper said:
With the stock rims you might be able to get a way with 255s but that is just a WAG. I ran 265s with the stock rims and there is no way you are going taller without wheel spacers.

:iagree:

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Rather than start a new thread, I have the same question as the OP.

From what I gather trolling around the interwebz either a spacer or a wheel with offset less than +4 is required to clear the upper ball joint... if the <+4 offset is indeed accurate, a 265/70r17 on such a rim should clear the upper ball joint, no?

This is also assuming the basic supporting lift components are also installed.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
kardain said:
Rather than start a new thread, I have the same question as the OP.

F8678063700 Elites Wheels[/url] (first link I found for that wheel, not an endorsement for that company in any way)

This is also assuming the basic supporting lift components are also installed.rom what I gather trolling around the interwebz either a spacer or a wheel with offset less than +4 is required to clear the upper ball joint... if the <+4 offset is indeed accurate, a 265/70r17 on such a rim should clear the upper ball joint, no?

This is also assuming the basic supporting lift components are also installed.
Where did you come up with a +4 offset? The wheel you are looking at has an offset of 0. which is centered in the rim. But it has a backspace of 4.5" which is what a 1.5" spacer would bring the wheel out to. Don't get the 2 mixed up because they do the offsets in mm and backspacing in inches. Not many manufacturers will list both. The backspacing is from the mounting face to the outside edge of the rim.

I recommend a 4.5 to 5.25 backspace to give plenty of room. If they only list the offset then a +25 works well. This is based on an 8" wide wheel.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Nevermind.... I read the rest of your reply. I need to not post when watching tv. :banghead:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
kardain said:
Nevermind.... I read the rest of your reply. I need to not post when watching tv. :banghead:
No worries man, I am a mod on that forum. I hope that I explained things well enough, I know it gets confusing.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
bigytwotone said:
Ok so if i where to get a rim that was 17x8 with o offset could i get away with 285's and no spacers??
Not an o but a 0 offset or 4.5" backspace you could. Think about this, our stock wheels have approximately 6" of backspace on a 7" wide wheel. Now add a 1.5" spacer to that wheel pushing it out, it equates equivalent to a 4.5" backspace.

I hope you paid attention to this math because there will be a test... When you buy your wheels. :yes:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Yes, but you'd still be cutting bumpers, bashing back the rocker panel mounting bolt, and installing a lift so you didn't hit the upper part of the fender sheet metal when the suspension is compressed and you're turning.

Mostly, nobody makes a rim in our bolt pattern with zero offset. IIRC. :confused:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
the roadie said:
Yes, but you'd still be cutting bumpers, bashing back the rocker panel mounting bolt, and installing a lift so you didn't hit the upper part of the fender sheet metal when the suspension is compressed and you're turning.

Mostly, nobody makes a rim in our bolt pattern with zero offset. IIRC. :confused:
None that I ever came across in my search. I found a lot of +25 offset and a few 5" backspace.

I guess I did good in this subject, other than the trimming and stuff. :biggrin:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
bigytwotone said:
i found some in the 6 x5.5 bolt pattern with 0 offset and there nice
They will stick way out there with the spacer/adapter. If you find a -50 offset you are closer to stock with spacers

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
bigytwotone said:
i found some in the 6 x5.5 bolt pattern with 0 offset and there nice[/QUOTE ]

As did I, but then realized they were 5.5 :sadcry:

djthumper said:
They will stick way out there with the spacer/adapter. If you find a -50 offset you are closer to stock with spacers

+50, right? -50 would be either be one a hell of a dish or a really long mounting point...

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
kardain said:
+50, right? -50 would be either be one a hell of a dish or a really long mounting point...
You are correct sir, I second guessed myself trying to finish typing and getting out of work.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
djthumper said:
You are correct sir, I second guessed myself trying to finish typing and getting out of work.

i am about to order a set of Rock Crawler 16x8, 6x5.5, Flat Black Steel Wheel rim's for my TB.. i have the suspension max 2.5 on the front and the 2 in on the rear.. i dont know if i like the whole idea of putting the 1.5" spacer on.. just my opinion but it's just another part to break.. so my question is what should the back spacing be?? 5.5?? and i plan on putting goodyear duratrac on.. i can only go (according to suspension max) 30.5 in tall tires.. so that would make them LT245/75R16 (acual 30.7) .. i know im being confusing but i want to make sure i get all this right before i spend the money on all of this.. any help would be great:confused:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
i am about to order a set of Rock Crawler 16x8, 6x5.5, Flat Black Steel Wheel rim's for my TB.. i have the suspension max 2.5 on the front and the 2 in on the rear.. i dont know if i like the whole idea of putting the 1.5" spacer on.. just my opinion but it's just another part to break.. so my question is what should the back spacing be?? 5.5?? and i plan on putting goodyear duratrac on.. i can only go (according to suspension max) 30.5 in tall tires.. so that would make them LT245/75R16 (acual 30.7) .. i know im being confusing but i want to make sure i get all this right before i spend the money on all of this.. any help would be great:confused:

The 30.5" limit is because of the upper ball joint, with spacers or the correct offset you can go to about 32"

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
Short Bus said:
The 30.5" limit is because of the upper ball joint, with spacers or the correct offset you can go to about 32"

I still have my stock polished aluminum 6 spokes rims if you are interested. You can fit a max. 30.5 as indicated above b4 going to spacers.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
It does not matter.. im am going to order mark's wheel spacers.. i got a phone call from 4wheelparts.com on thursday and Rock Crawler discontinued making steal rims for our platform.. the guy did tell me that they could do a special order on them direct from the company but it would cost $800 per wheel.. now since they were marked at $79 per wheel i though it was a bit of a reach.. so i will just do the wheel spacers and then put on my 31" tires that i wanted to do in the first place. just seems a shame that there are verry few aftermarket parts for our platform.. i know there are alot of them on the road.. i see them everywhere.. :confused:

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
ZOOMDWEEBEE said:
It does not matter.. im am going to order mark's wheel spacers.. i got a phone call from 4wheelparts.com on thursday and Rock Crawler discontinued making steal rims for our platform.. the guy did tell me that they could do a special order on them direct from the company but it would cost $800 per wheel.. now since they were marked at $79 per wheel i though it was a bit of a reach.. so i will just do the wheel spacers and then put on my 31" tires that i wanted to do in the first place. just seems a shame that there are verry few aftermarket parts for our platform.. i know there are alot of them on the road.. i see them everywhere.. :confused:

With the spacers you can go up to 32" if you want.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
If you're going to use spacers anyways I'd go ahead and get at least a 32. You'll have a smidge more clearance and shouldn't have to do any trimming. Plus the 32 is a very very common size that you should be able to get anywhere should you have the need. There's no negative aspect to the 32s at all. If you like you can even run them on a stock rim provided you have the spacers/adapters.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
v7guy said:
If you're going to use spacers anyways I'd go ahead and get at least a 32. You'll have a smidge more clearance and shouldn't have to do any trimming. Plus the 32 is a very very common size that you should be able to get anywhere should you have the need. There's no negative aspect to the 32s at all. If you like you can even run them on a stock rim provided you have the spacers/adapters.

i just got done ordering the wheel spacers from Mark.. i already have my factory rims.. going to use them till i find some that i like.. i might have to order different spacers when i do just to get them to the standard GM bolt pattern.. but will cross that bridge when i get there.. if i do i will have some used spacers to sell in the future.. and i can say that having delt with Mark over the last week on this.. he's a great guy to work with.. if i only new where to find his lift/lvl kit i would have gotten that from him as well.. but after the work to put the smaxx on.. im not taking it out.. im sure there is still some of my blood hid somewhere under there.. lol.:raspberry:

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
i got my tires on today.. i went ahead and ordered the wheel spacers from Mark.. i went with the Goodyear Duratrac 265/70/R16 and i alos got a free aliangment out of them.. was impressed with that since i needed one anyway's.View attachment 23771:wootwoot:

Attachments

• PB080753.jpg
    PB080753.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 17

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Did you try them without the spacers? They "should" fit.

ZOOMDWEEBEE

Apr 4, 2012
Short Bus said:
Did you try them without the spacers? They "should" fit.

no i didnt.. i looked at them after i got them put on.. it dont look like i will.. it's just to close to the ubj so going to use the spacers since i got them. I go deer hunting next weekend so i will have some more pics of the TB in use off road .. should be better than last year. i also made my own 3/8 oil skid plate since i put a hole in my plastic OEM one that was on there.. lucky i did not put the hole in the oil pan.. after the first of the year going to hit burton up for a radiator skid plate and oil skid as well.. just want to make sure i have the nessicary armor in place before i need it. but all in all im extreamly happy with how my ride has turned out and i can not thank all of the fine members with all the help i have recived.. so for that i say thank you to GMTNATION. You guy's rock!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: oh and i forgot to mention i got the tape out and i gained 4 inches from where it sat stock. not bad for doing it all myself!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.