Wheels - 2009 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
What are some of the GM wheels that will fit on a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD?
(I always kinda liked using wheels from other trucks)

The ones that are on it now are 16 inch steel wheels. I noticed this truck also came new with an optional 17 inch wheel

I'd like to go with an 18 inch wheel but apparently the later model GM truck wheels don't all fit the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD

One half ton trucks the wheels are interchangeable, but on these 3/4 ton trucks, I guess wheels are interchangeable from 2011 and newer which is odd for GM

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I was able to put 17" from a 2007 (NNBS) on my 2003, which is an 8-lug. So you can use anything from the 99-06 and 07-11 -- if it fits on those trucks, it'll fit on yours. Aftermarket or OEM.

Do keep in mind that if the total height of the tire changes, that the speedo has to be recalibrated (if you need it to be accurate). This can be done with HPTuners, etc.

It can also be overcome if you adjust the aspect ratio (and you may need to do this if you keep the 16" spare) -- in my case, I adjusted it so that it's just about exact (so my 17" tires are a '75' aspect, while the 16" spare is a '70'). There are calculators (online and at your tire shop) that will help with this. If the difference exceeds a certain percent, it'll cause issue with your axle (or axles, if you have 4wd).

Of course, if you get 5 wheels of the same size, then you don't have that issue. Since I could get close enough, I didn't make the spend for a wheel / tire that was going to spend its life under the bed.

The only 'GM' alternative 8-lug that I know fits would be from an H2 Hummer. And I know that because the previous owner of mine had them on the truck when I bought it (they're long gone, so don't ask... LOL) Those were 305s (-?). You'll likely have to trim the front bumper cover if you go that wide / large. 285s are about the widest that will clear (unless the truck is lifted)

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
Good info, thanks!
I'll look around and see if I like any of the wheels from OE 99-06
I'm planning on keeping the same tire height

So, if you buy an aftermarket wheel with a bore size o 123 mm when the OE wheel bore size is 116.7 mm.... wouldn't I also have to buy some of those fitment rings to make the wheel hub centric so it is centered on the hub just like the OE wheel is?

I saw these after market wheels and they look OK
Discount Tire | Tires and Wheels for Sale | Online & In-Person

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I looked up the 2500HD at:
Size My Wheels

And as it turns out... there *are* two different sizes (for the 07-13):
116.7 mm center bore, w/ 8 x 165.1 bolt pattern (and all 99-06 are this size)
124.1 mm center, w/ 8 x 180 bolt pattern (an optional size on '07-'13)

So... if your truck had the smaller size, originally... then you definitely would need hub adapters.
Apologies for the error.
Personally, I'd try and find the standard bolt pattern -- OR -- replace the hubs, as required. But that's me. I use my truck for towing, and would not want to leave myself open to potential liability issues.

Reactions: Mooseman

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
I'll book mark that site, thanks!

I wouldn't mind using those rings... I can put a little adhesive of some kind to make them stick in the wheels so I'm not opposed to using the rings.

I'm using this as a work truck and will be doing some hauling occasionally so adapters are out, and I don't want to spend money changing hubs. So, I'll go with whatever is available.

Here's the wheel that's on the truck now:

Factory_OEM_Wheel_GIF.gif

Last edited:

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
Dodge wheel has: Hub Bore: 121.3
Chevy wheel has: Hub Bore: 116.7

*Should be able to use Hub Centric Rings and be good to go, which is what I'd have to do anyway if I bought some after market wheels!

Most of the Dodge 2500 wheels are supposed to be the same 6.5in bolt pattern

Rockrz

Original poster
May 22, 2022
Country Town
I'll have to think on the off set, although I saw on another board where someone said they used Dodge wheels on a truck like mine and there was no rubbing

The OE wheels show to be -18mm offset and the Dodge wheels show to be 43.18mm

The 16 inch alloy wheel Chevy offered as optional wheel shows to be 28mm offset and I know that fits OK

So, it looks like the Dodge wheel would be 15mm further inward compared to the optional alloy wheel which should be an issue since it's just a few millimeters... whatever those are

cool_shades.gif

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online