Wheel\Tire Sizing for Beach..Help!

Itssavit

Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
NJ
Hey All,

After spending a few days researching, I am humbly asking for some assistance.
First, the important info...

Currently: 2008 Trailblazer LT, on stock 18x8 wheels with 245/60-18s.
Goal: Gain ground clearance and traction for strictly beach driving (no offroad), minimize tire poke, no cutting\trimming if possible

I don't want to lift this thing to the sky, just get a bit of frame clearance to keep off the sand, and gain a whole bunch of tire so I can actually air down and get some traction.

If I go with a 2.5 inch lift all around, lengthened shocks in the rear, and 1.5" wheel adapters, What is the optimal size wheel and tire for my goals? What are my width limitations if I am not looking for the tires to stick out from the body more than an inch or two?

Commonly I've seen 265/70R17 with 2.5 inch lift with no trimming. Is that my best option?

Any\all assistance is greatly appreciated!!

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You want wide for flotation, but width leads to cutting quicker.

I had 265 70 17 on 17x8 and had to trim with only 2.5 lift and 1.3 adapters, but its not an exact science.

Itssavit

Original poster
Jun 18, 2020
NJ
I had 265 70 17 on 17x8 and had to trim with only 2.5 lift and 1.3 adapters, but its not an exact science.

Hmm. More I look I can only find 1.25" wheel adapters available now. Did you just have to remove some of the inner fender, or actual fender metal? What were your wheel specs? I will have to source new wheels for this, so I have some room to play with backspacing

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It was over a decade ago I ran those tires and wheels. It was plastic cutting though.

With 1.25 adapters you will grind the studs a bit but if you are ok with that, then you can run 1 inch if you want. Keeping yourself tighter to the body will help with trimming.

I typically go for big wide setups to keep trees off my body in the woods, so the 265s did not last long and I went to a 305-65-17 on a -6 offset 17x9 w adapters and that called for some metal cutting.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramzo358

Members Online