Wheel play

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
If that's the lower intermediate shaft, Rockauto has it, as well as the upper intermediate:

Probably faster to just replace the assembly rather than taking the old assembly apart and trying to rebuild it.

Good Luck!

Chris

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
I can't just replace that bearing? Looks like it's held in with a metal plate and 2 torx screws. Is it replaceable? A whole new steering column is way out of my budget.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Maybe I'm not understanding which part you're referring to. I've seen steering shafts that have worn at that u-joint at the top of your image, and the solution was to just replace that black painted assembly, which is what RA listed as the lower intermediate shaft. The bearings were sealed in. You wouldn't be replacing the entire steering shaft, just that lower section. I'll have to go dig up a different parts breakdown than I have at hand to see if there's another bearing listed in that area. I don't see another one at that area in the diagram I have currently.

In the manuals, there's a whole section on looseness in the steering column. It goes through replacing the upper/lower shafts as one source of looseness, but I can't find anything that gets as granular as replacing the u-joint bearings.

...EDIT... I obviously can't read diagrams properly anymore. That image was taken aiming up, so that's the upper intermediate shaft. My perspective was inverted. I'm still not finding a separate bearing listing, but hopefully one of the more machinist oriented members can share some ideas.

Cheers-

Chris

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.