Wheel not turning back?

S13Hitman

Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
Hilton Head
This is weird, a first for me.

Turning right onto a 3 lane highway (no traffic thankfully) and as I'm turning the steering wheel back to straighten up, the front wheels turning radius must have bound up. In order for me to drive straight, the steering wheel looked like I was making a hard left turn.

Of course, I pull over and turn the wheel left and right and it's back to normal after a few tries. I get out and try to turn the wheels myself, nothing budged. Wtf..

I drive home normally, worried of course but stayed close to the shoulder. Today I had to run an errand and forgot, it did this again. It eventually straightens out but I need this figured out ASAP. I can handle suspension myself, but I figured you fine gents might have some ideas. I appreciate your help very much in advance.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've never heard of something like that happening before (and fixing itself) When you were driving straight, but with the steering wheel turned to the left, how did the truck feel? Was it rolling smooth like normal, or did it seem like you needed more gas than usual to maintain speed. Did it coast OK, or did you lose speed faster than normal?

S13Hitman

Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
Hilton Head
I've never heard of something like that happening before (and fixing itself) When you were driving straight, but with the steering wheel turned to the left, how did the truck feel? Was it rolling smooth like normal, or did it seem like you needed more gas than usual to maintain speed. Did it coast OK, or did you lose speed faster than normal?

It seemed like there was a slight drag, possibly a tire scrubbing the opposite way. Was in short of a shock as well and the radio was on.

budwich

Jun 16, 2013
kanata
tie rod could be fubarred.... likely significant play such that it moved out of "seating" for a bit and then possibly "fell" back in. I would certainly get the front end check before driving too much more.

Of course, the "worse alternative" is an issue with the "rack"... beyond my pay grade but others here will give you more things to consider. go with the simple check first and then move from there.

check your power steering fluid?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check the A-arm bushings for excessive play. I had something similar to that and one side lower A-arm bushing was basically gone. Mine would go to the left when I hit the brakes.

Reactions: Redbeard

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Another thing to check could be the p/s pump / fluid level / leaks. You might have air in the lines / rack.

S13Hitman

Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
Hilton Head
Check the A-arm bushings for excessive play. I had something similar to that and one side lower A-arm bushing was basically gone. Mine would go to the left when I hit the brakes.
So I agree with this, I can hear metal clicking when I go over bumps. As if the bushings are toast.

Another thing to check could be the p/s pump / fluid level / leaks. You might have air in the lines / rack.
I'm hopeful the issue is not this BUT my pump was making a whinnying noise and the fluid is not low. This actually could be my exact issue with the noise I'm hearing. Just started a week ago.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.