Wheel bearing or tie rod end? Or both?

Trailbuckeye

Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
For the past month or so I have noticed a vibration coming through the steering wheel and I can also feel it through the floorboard. Most notably at about 35-50 mph. Last week I jacked up the front end to check everything out. The right side seemed just fine. The driver side I could hear a little grind when spinning the wheel. It also had play when rocking the tire from left to right however there was not any play when rocking up and down.

I am not sure if this is a wheel bearing or a tie rod end? Or both? Any help would be great.

Ps. I also noticed the driver side tie rod end had grease zerts on it where thenpassenger did not, so I believe this might be an aftermarket. Not sure though.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! Sure are a lot of you in Indiana.

Grinding noise is bad. You didn't fill out your profile, but if you're 4WD, make sure the transfer case and differentials fluids were changed at 100K or so. A bad front differential will make noise if the driver's wheel is rotated. There's a disconnect on the passenger's side.

Assuming your play is only at the wheel bearing, then the bearing can definitely go bad that way. If you also looked closely at the inner and outer tie rod ends and they had no looseness, then the bearing's your problem. Plenty of discussion of good brands like Timken. Avoid CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap) like the $40 units on Ebay and Amazon.

GM suspension parts all come sealed with no Zerks to same them a dime. Aftermarkets almost always have Zerks and then the owner has to include greasing them in the maintenance rotation.

Trailbuckeye

Original poster
Apr 27, 2013
the roadie said:
Welcome! Sure are a lot of you in Indiana.

Grinding noise is bad. You didn't fill out your profile, but if you're 4WD, make sure the transfer case and differentials fluids were changed at 100K or so. A bad front differential will make noise if the driver's wheel is rotated. There's a disconnect on the passenger's side.

Assuming your play is only at the wheel bearing, then the bearing can definitely go bad that way. If you also looked closely at the inner and outer tie rod ends and they had no looseness, then the bearing's your problem. Plenty of discussion of good brands like Timken. Avoid CCC (Cheap Chinese Crap) like the $40 units on Ebay and Amazon.

GM suspension parts all come sealed with no Zerks to same them a dime. Aftermarkets almost always have Zerks and then the owner has to include greasing them in the maintenance rotation.

I appreciate your response. I have read a lot of your posts on that "other" forum. A lot of good stuff! I just had the fluids changed in the differentials and the trans so I believe I am good there.

I also went back out and looked more closely at the tie rod ends and noticed a little play where the tie rod end meets the spindle. The black rubber cover seems "deflated". Any suggestions on what brand to replace with? While I was out there I also went ahead and rotated my front tires to the rear and back to front. Took care of 90% of the vibration. I believe I have a cupped tire. The other 10% of vibration I believe is due to me having an off road style tire on there. I love them so I can handle a little road noise and feel.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak

Members Online