NEED HELP Wheel bearing maybe?

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
So I have been reading posts since Saturday and going through youtube videos but cannot seem to get my issue pinned down to a specific part on my 9-7x.

2 months ago I had my ABS/Stabilitrak light come on, it ended up being the pass side ABS sensor, was odd cause I had a shop change out both hubs in 2016 with AC Delco parts. I replaced the part and all was good until I started getting vibrations when I hit the brakes, warped rotors. Got those replaced as well and all is smooth but I still feel feedback come thru the brake pedal and sometimes the steering wheel when driving as if something is clicking or clunking when driving. I feel it a bit more when turning to the right. Also a grind as if the ABS is kicking in when I am coming out of shopping centers with steeper dips transitioning from parking lot to street.

I had my front end replaced with Moog parts as I have 150k and the upper/lower control arm bushings and ball joints were shot. I fully checked and nothing is loose. Alignment is also fresh.

I did the 3 and 9 o clock test and I get a little play but when I do the test with spinning the wheel and holding to the spring I feel nothing.

I am just having a hard time getting this issue corrected as I do not know if it is the hubs or not cause I do not even have 10k miles since last ones as this is my weekend vehicle and drive it less than 2,500k miles a year. The only other thing that I think could have been my problem is that the shop that replaced them did not torque axle nut correctly and shortened the lifespan of the bearing.

Has anyone ever gone through something like this before? I am leaning to replacing the bearings with Timkens and see if that changes anything. Just don't want to throw parts and it being something else.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check that the rotors are sitting flat on the hubs. If there's rust underneath, it can make the rotor and wheel wobble. Ask me how I know.
Unless the shop way over-torqued the axle nut, it shouldn't have made much of a difference. These hubs are made to run without an axle in 2wd trucks so under-torqueing shouldn't damage them.

Is the ABS kicking in at low speeds? This is usually an indication of a bad hub.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The bearing preload is set at the factory with a huge hydraulic press. So the chance of the shop screwing that up is virtually nil.
I am amazed how they can turn out thousands of these hubs and always get the right preload.......
Moog isn't a guarantee of good parts - many others have had them go bad fairly quickly.
If you feel or hear it more turning right, then that indicates the left hub is linked to the problem. Try replacing just that one - if it doesn't help you can swap it to the other side and see if it makes a difference. It might even be under warranty.

Reactions: Berns

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Check that the rotors are sitting flat on the hubs. If there's rust underneath, it can make the rotor and wheel wobble. Ask me how I know.
Unless the shop way over-torqued the axle nut, it shouldn't have made much of a difference. These hubs are made to run without an axle in 2wd trucks so under-torqueing shouldn't damage them.

Is the ABS kicking in at low speeds? This is usually an indication of a bad hub.

Mooseman,
I will check on this. I will take apart this weekend.
I removed AWD so there is no more axles but from what I seen in the past, most shops just bolt on parts with an impact gun so it must have been the issue with mine.

ABS was kicking in low speeds when I was getting the code of pass side ABS sensor before changing out. Scared the heck out of me cause I stopped a few inches from a car when it first happened. Seemed like thee brakes were not grabbing.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Update:

Changed out the hubs and rides a bit better. Hubs might have been on the way out.

I notice that I still get feedback thru steering wheel as if something is loose moving around kind of like a loos tie rod. I actually did not change out the inner tie rods cause they were not loose or had any play when pulling and moving.

While driving, I noticed a groan kind of like ABS kicking in when I was stopped and turned the wheels to make a turn. A few days before while checking my suspension, I had my son turning the wheel so that I can make sure all was good and noticed that same groan.

From reading other post, it seems that it might be my steering rack. I really hope not.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is it a groan or whine? Maybe the power steering pump?

You did check the ball joints and outer tie rods?

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
@ Mooseman,

It does a weird noise but not constantly just out of the blue, such as if something is binding. Sounds like ABS kicking in but it is not ABS.

It made the sound twice so far and it was the same. I tried to reproduce but cannot.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could it be the differential?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dust shield rubbing?

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I checked all when I did the brakes and wheel bearing this weekend. Nothing rubbing or warped.

I do notice that when the car is off and I turn the wheel slight from side to side, there is popping noise. Inner tie rods maybe? I did not replace when I did the whole front end.

I could feel a slight pop in the tire when my son turns the wheel from side to side and car is on.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Could be the cause.

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I really hope so....

Just found out my waterpump is making noise and confirmed it is leaking (put dexcool dye and hit it with UV light).

More $$$ but I love this truck. Priced out new cars and it is still cheaper maintaining this truck....

Reactions: xavierny25

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
replaced inner tie rods. Thanks to the Mayhew speedy tool, it was super easy and fast. Hardest part was finding zip ties as the steel ones I got from Harbor Freight were crap.

Link if anyone wants to buy it.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005I5GLCS/?tag=gmtnation-20

Tool is pricey but I am pretty sure I will be using it on my HHR project as well and future repairs for projects.

Seems much better now and I feel more confident in taking it long distance.

Next is the WP that is leaking and rear sway bar links since I replaced the fronts but have not gotten to the rears.

Hoping after this all is good for a while.

Reactions: Eric04

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Update:

Water pump replaced and figured out my floppy suspension issue. Seems that the brake pedal on my 9-7x was loose and the bolt under the dash needed to be tightened.

I replaced my whole front end due to loose upper control arms and trashed tie rods.

Car is now tip top shape just need a good wash, clay and waxing.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
replaced inner tie rods. Thanks to the Mayhew speedy tool, it was super easy and fast. Hardest part was finding zip ties as the steel ones I got from Harbor Freight were crap.

Link if anyone wants to buy it.... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005I5GLCS/?tag=gmtnation-20

Tool is pricey but I am pretty sure I will be using it on my HHR project as well and future repairs for projects.

<snip>

Had a thought...If you decide you'd like to rent it out, I bet you'd find a few people here willing to put up, say, a deposit equal to the cost of the tool, via PayPal, and when they returned it / sent it on to the next user, they'd get their money back minus a pre-agreed rental fee?

I know having access to it would prompt me to do the inner TREs instead of just the outers (mine aren't hosed yet, but I know they won't last forever)

In the meantime, we'll wait for you to get the inners done on the HHR :coffee:

(on edit - if places do rent these tools, then forgive my ignorance. Just trying to be humorous, as usual)

Berns

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
Had a thought...If you decide you'd like to rent it out, I bet you'd find a few people here willing to put up, say, a deposit equal to the cost of the tool, via PayPal, and when they returned it / sent it on to the next user, they'd get their money back minus a pre-agreed rental fee?

I know having access to it would prompt me to do the inner TREs instead of just the outers (mine aren't hosed yet, but I know they won't last forever)

In the meantime, we'll wait for you to get the inners done on the HHR :coffee:

(on edit - if places do rent these tools, then forgive my ignorance. Just trying to be humorous, as usual)

I had thought about it and might after I finish my project.

I rented a tool and would not work unless I modified it so I had to hunt down a tool I did not have to modify and be able to use it for others in the future.

All I have to say is this tool is awesome, a shop near me saw me using it and they ordered 2 for their own use and they were wondering why not many shops have these when they are very versatile.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online