Wheel adapter. Diy or professional?

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Still looking for rims.. I hate that they made the trailblazer with different pattern then everything else. I've found lots of good deals lately but everything seems to be for 6 x139, so I'm looking into adapters. Did everyone put them on yourself or let professional do it? Also any brand suggestions?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Member markmc is a distributor for a trusted manufacturer.

What do you mean "put them on yourself"? They go on like a wheel - and need the same torque (103 ft-lbs.) Somebody may have to stand on the brakes to keep the hub from turning while you do that.

spacer.jpg

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
I have just started looking into to this and just looking for help, saw a few videos on YouTube and it looked fairly easy to do yourself. Just didn't know if I have a bring to a tire/customs shop to have put on.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
If you're at a shop anyway for mounting tires to your new rims, they might as well. If you buy tires already mounted with the rims, you can do it yourself, assuming you're comfortable changing tires.

Note, some (not sure how many) major shops like Discount Tire and Costco (IIRC) refuse to touch vehicles with spacers, due to liability concerns.

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
OK great thanks. Looking to get rims with tires already mounted so ill probably just do it myself.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
They double the number of wheel studs on the vehicle, so in that sense, they are less safe.

But how often do you break wheel studs, anyway, is my attitude?

We have somewhere between 50-100 lifted members running wheel spacers. Except for some poorly torqued installations, they don't fail. YMMV. There are no guarantees in life, but MANY of us put ourselves and our vehicles in positions that if a wheel falls off, we might fall 4000 feet down a cliff and die.

tablemountain-33.jpg

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Ordered my adapter from Mark today, now just need to find some rims. Thanks again

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online