whats under the hood?

dieselscrub

Original poster
Aug 7, 2015
i would like to see what other people have done under the hood such as modz and stuff like that. thnx

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
As far as mods go the most you'll get out of us I6 guys is a gutted air box or a homemade cold air intake. They make a header for Our truck but it's like 1200 dollars or something ridiculous like that for minimal at best gains. Is there a certain mod your trying to accomplish? If so ask about it and someone will surely tell you if it's plausible or not.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check @Capote 's build thread. He's done a few mods.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Other than detailing and paint work not a lot to do to the I6....
There's still a decent amount of things one can do under the hood.
Check @Capote 's build thread. He's done a few mods.
I've probably tried to do more in the engine compartment than anyone else here lol.
i would like to see what other people have done under the hood such as modz and stuff like that. thnx
I've done a lot under the hood to make it much more appealing:
IMG_20170610_200657.jpg
Painting several components helps to differentiate and make things stick out. I really like how my custom Upper Control Arms pop.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
There's still a decent amount of things one can do under the hood.

I've probably tried to do more in the engine compartment than anyone else here lol.

I've done a lot under the hood to make it much more appealing:
View attachment 81369
Painting several components helps to differentiate and make things stick out. I really like how my custom Upper Control Arms pop.

That's kinda what I meant, you can pretty it up plenty... braided hoses, paint, CAI, etc...other than that there's not a lot of "goodies" out there for these things...it's mostly what's appealing to your tastes

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
That's kinda what I meant, you can pretty it up plenty... braided hoses, paint, CAI, etc...other than that there's not a lot of "goodies" out there for these things...it's mostly what's appealing to your tastes
In that case, yeah. It's not like a 6.0 or SBC 350 for example that can have all manner of aftermarket parts.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Yeah a pretty polished aluminum intake/valve cover would be nice!
Or some polished billet pulleys...
Things available for "normal" vehicles lol
I've got a recently painted extremely shiny gloss black valve cover I never put on. It looks amazing.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Except maybe a swap :rotfl::rotfl:

Pics or it didn't happen :pictures:
You'll find pics somewhere, I don't remember where it is.
And you do not want to do a 5.3 swap on a 4.2 TB, it's not an easy task at all and it's very pricey. You're better off buying a TB with a 5.3 already. Trust me, I just did a swap last weekend. I got a nice 'ole scar along with it too.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
You swapped a 5.3 into a
4.2 bay @Capote ?

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
You'll find pics somewhere, I don't remember where it is.
And you do not want to do a 5.3 swap on a 4.2 TB, it's not an easy task at all and it's very pricey. You're better off buying a TB with a 5.3 already. Trust me, I just did a swap last weekend. I got a nice 'ole scar along with it too.

Nah i was thinking more of a 6.0 swap :cool:

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
How about the baby Duramax in the new Colorados, that would be the best swap :smile:

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Would you know off hand what the owner spent on a swap like that? Had to be as much as the truck was worth

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Would you know off hand what the owner spent on a swap like that? Had to be as much as the truck was worth

@BlazingTrails is his name. He used to be one of the most active users on here but has since found other things to do. He is crazy about his truck and talked heavily about the swap for years. His build pictures are broken sadly as well. He has the cleanest 4.2 (now swapped) GMT360 I've seen.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Over $4000+, For someone like him it's worth it, but to someone not near his level of mechanical inclination or experience, they're best to stay away from this swap IMO. It took an entire day to rewire the entire body harness and strip the interior. He said there was no useful info on that wiring, so he had to learn as he went. Lucky for him, reading wiring schematics is an easy thing. IMO it's better to go buy a GMT360 with a 5.3 or go buy a TBSS with the much better 6.0.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Or a 5.3 to a 6.0 is also easier. Just a tune and it's a go. You could take a 6.0 iron truck block and build it up to LS2 specs. Only difference is 80 Lbs.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Or a 5.3 to a 6.0 is also easier. Just a tune and it's a go. You could take a 6.0 iron truck block and build it up to LS2 specs. Only difference is 80 Lbs.
That'd be a far easier swap for sure.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Wowee. I know who blazing is. Learned a lot of great stuff from him. Last I seen his username said "banned" and I was like bummer..... But apparently he's still working on his TB! Tell him congrats on the swap.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.