What's the limit?

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
I have a 2004 Trailblazer EXT with the 5.3 V8 and 3.42 gears. What is the max load I should be hauling with it? I pull a couple of smaller trailers (ATV Size) but would like to get a camper down the road a bit.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Not sur about the 2004. The specs are in the owners manual.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My 07 (not ext) with 3:42 rear is rated at 6100(2wd) 6000(4wd). Can't imagine that your ext. would be a world of difference...Mike.

Reactions: djthumper

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Read page 4-55 in your manual. 5,700 lbs with 4WD, 5,900 lbs with 2WD.

But max towing capacity is only one of the numbers you need to be aware of if you are towing a travel trailer. You need to know the payload rating, which is found on the wight sticker inside the driver door jamb. Most likely yours is something like 1200# or 1300#. That's not a lot. TT tongue weights are heavy, hence the need for a WD hitch.

So you have to subtract the tongue weight, which for example on a 5500# GVWR trailer could be 715#. Subract the weight of the hitch, roughly 100#. At a 1300# payload you now have 485# left for your wife, kids, dog, cooler, etc. You will be over your payload in a heartbeat. Note that the trailer in my example is 400# lighter than the 2WD max towing capacity.

Power is not an issue. The limitation is in the soft suspension that gives you that nice cushy ride.

From experience I can tell you that towing any trailer close to your max towing capacity is simply not as comfortable as having a healthy margin. Having towed 2 different trailers with my old '03 TB I would recommend nothing over 4500# GVWR. Not dry weight. Ignore dry weight. No one tows a loaded travel trailer at it's dry weight. Always calculate by using the GVWR of the trailer.

Also go into it knowing that towing a box down the road changes the dynamics of your ride. It's essentially like holding a 4x4 sheet of plywood in front of you and attempting to run into the wind. Depending on the weight of the trailer you can expect anywhere between 8-12 MPG.

Hope this is helpful!

Reactions: 07Denali

Moore

Sep 8, 2016
Oregon
I cannot find any disagreement with what the Doc just said. Just will add a trip to a scale house to check the real weights should be a must for most towing RVs. I did wt. check my TB last week. 2 adults full fuel 5400 lbs. The GVRW is 6400 lbs. Not much weight rating left to put a TT hitched up to the vehicle.
Sorry, I thought my vehicle was displayed, it is not, it is a 02 TB ext 4x4.

MikeHayes

Original poster
Mar 20, 2016
Vermont
Thank you to everyone that commented, I have already added this thread to favorites so I can find it when the time comes.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.