What's the deal with Steering Racks?

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
From research I did many years ago, what I recall is that there were three different steering racks avaialble. One for the short wheelbase TB. Another for the EXTs that has a faster turn rate. And another with an even faster turn rate for the SS.

I have a short wheelbase TB and you have to turn the wheel so many times to turn the wheels, it's kind of ridiculous. I'm used to it now but 5 years ago when I got this truck, I almost hit parked cars on several occasions while taking corners because I wasn't used to having to turn the wheel as such extreme speed. It drove me crazy and I really wanted to swap out the whole steering rack with one from an SS so I could have more normal steering.

But I never bothered to make the upgrade.

Now my truck most likely has a bad steering line or steering pump. But there's a very slight chance it has a bad steering rack. And if it does have a bad rack, I want to go with a 'faster' one out of an EXT or an SS.

HOWEVER whenever I search for a steering rack now, I keep finding single racks that are the replacement for all three! What does this mean? Which ratio does it have? The fast one, the medium one or the slow one? These racks are going to dramatically change the way a lot of trucks drive when they are installed and suddenly the nature of the steering wheel is totally difference. Unless I'm missing something major about how they work.

Is there a way to determine which of the three steering ratios these racks have? At least I already have the slowest, so it won't be a downgrade for me, only status quo at worst or an upgrade if I'm lucky. But it still seems really weird to replace three different parts that operate differently with one single part.

Also, can someone confirm that these different steering racks are fully interchangeable, that you can stick any one on any TB? I'm pretty sure I already looked this up but it's not in my notes and I just don't recall.

Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
My rack went bad a little while ago and wanted a faster one too. I also noticed the generic replacements available with the unknown ratio so went with a used one from the PnP yard. Found one from an Envoy XL and confirmed by counting the number of turns lock to lock. The SWB were almost 4 turns, the LWB were just over 3 turns. Definitely no SS available. It went in no problem after replacing the inner tie rods and swapping over my TTX outers.

One thing though, the faster rack also needs a different pump and smaller pulley along with a shorter belt. Probably because of the increased effort.

If you have an SS or LWB and need a replacement, you'd have to either rebuild it yourself or find a local rebuilder. I went with a used one and it's been fine.

Reactions: xavierny25

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online