What's that noise ..

bastenblood

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Hi there , I hear this clicking noise since I bought my 2002 Envoy . It sound like something is loose.

The ticking accelerate as the rpm goes up , and past 3k rpm is barely noticeable .

I never had a major problem . I recently put a new manifold O² sensor , new battery and cleaned the tb.

Here's the video :

[video=youtube_share;dqVphxg88aM]http://youtu.be/dqVphxg88aM[/video]

I want to spot the problem before It get worse . Thanks in advance .

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
bastenblood said:
Hi there , I hear this clicking noise since I bought my 2002 Envoy . It sound like something is loose.

The ticking accelerate as the rpm goes up , and past 3k rpm is barely noticeable .

I never had a major problem . I recently put a new manifold O² sensor , new battery and cleaned the tb.

I want to spot the problem before It get worse . Thanks in advance .

First of all you have a hard starting truck there. I takes mine about half the time to start. I would change your fuel filter, check your fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator and throw in some fuel injector cleaner. You might have a leaking injector(s). Also check your plugs.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles/kms? How long since your last oil change? Ever change plugs? Any other maintenance history we should know about?

bastenblood

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
146 000 KM ( about 90 000 mile) . Oil change every 5000 km . Terra-Clean Treatment for injectors in November .

Never change spark plugs (Since I got it at 135 000 km) , but got my six AC Delco on the way .

And I need to say when made the video this morning the temp was near freezing , It does'nt normally start like that ,
and the ticking noise is not as loud as the engine heats , but still noticeable .

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
bastenblood said:
146 000 KM ( about 90 000 mile) . Oil change every 5000 km . Terra-Clean Treatment for injectors in November .

Never change spark plugs (Since I got it at 135 000 km) , but got my six AC Delco on the way .

And I need to say when made the video this morning the temp was near freezing , It does'nt normally start like that ,
and the ticking noise is not as loud as the engine heats , but still noticeable .

Do you smell exhaust under the hood? My exhaust manifold gasket failed and made a similar ticking noise. As the engine heats up the gap closes and seals the manifold. You would also notice the noise more on the exhaust side of the engine.

bastenblood

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Nope , no smell , also have a new Walker muffler and removed resonator , the exhaust system look fine ..

I'm going to change the fuel filter and the plugs this afternoon to be sure .

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
bastenblood said:
Nope , no smell , also have a new Walker muffler and removed resonator , the exhaust system look fine ..

I'm going to change the fuel filter and the plugs this afternoon to be sure .

OK. Sounds good. Make sure to answer Roadie as well. He knows these trucks. Also I would highly recommend checking your fuel pressure. It will give you a heads up if any of the injectors are leaking down.

bastenblood

Original poster
Dec 22, 2011
Six AC Delco plugs and new fuel filter installed and even add some Kleen-Valve in the oil , maybe it need
some time to work but the motor still sound like a diesel ..

[video=youtube_share;7XrWN-JsCpo]http://youtu.be/7XrWN-JsCpo[/video]

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online