What would (or did) you replace your Trailblazer with?

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
sort of a 'just for fun" thing...
So, my story so far...I bought a brand new Blazer in 1997, drove it until 2012 when I bought a 2006 Trailblazer that my father-in-law rebuilt after a previous owner drove down a boat ramp. Been driving it ever since; it has some quirks but has been mostly reliable and honestly, I think it still looks as good as anything out there.
But....it's getting a little old and we like to travel so we need something that we can confidently go on long highway trips in. Plus my older son is going to start driving soon so I'll be passing the Trailblazer down to him.
I'm pondering what I should buy next. My wife has had several Toyota's over the years (Camry's and Siennas) and they are really trouble-free vehicles , so I've really been looking at the 4Runner and Highlander ...but they're both hella expensive,at least to me. As for GM stuff....the Equinox and Traverse just don't excite me much if at all, though they seem to be popular. The Terrain looks like it might be the closest to what I like about the Blazer/Trailblazer, but I haven't been in a newer one...I don't need a 4x4, just something I can haul kids, dogs and the occasional lawnmower in.
So anyway...wondering what you guys think?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Full-size. Probably suv over the pick up. The suv does most of what the pickup would but I have access to one so I really wouldn't need it. Really I'd end up in a Malibu though. I have no real need for a truck at this point in my life. The harsh reality is there isn't much in the segment that will replace it. Heck the trunk on my trailblazer is just as wide as the trunk in the 2010 escalade, the extra compartments and plastic bump out onto the rear seat. From a usability standpoint it's similar. You can just fit longer stuff in the truck. Go figure.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I figure to never let mine go but it may get a break and be replaced with a full trail rig and a regular cab pick-em-up to share the double duty the TB has preformed for years so nicely

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I replaced my 02 TB with an 07 Silverado in 2015, though I still had the TB until it really broke in 2016.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Replaced my 02 TB with an 07 TB. What can I say, I love these trucks !

Reactions: xavierny25

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Towing capability is important for me, so I'd only replace w/ something of equal or greater capability - which now means Tahoe / Burb / Silverado & GMC equivalents. Or another TB / Voy, although finding another nice one with some life left in it would get tougher as time went on. At least I'd know how to fix it...LOL

Sad thing is, even if GM were to bring back the 'midsize' SUV segment, it would be less capable than what we have now (most likely FWD-based Unibody).

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
My reasons for sizing down to a mid-size suv were to save gas,... but that is not happening. My first was a Grand Cherokee that got horrible fuel mileage,...then a Mitsubishi Montero,... which was a good rig that actually DID get better mileage,..but the ride was rough and the vehicle was grossly unrefined,..similar to driving a lawn tractor,... and now to the Envoy/Trailblazer, and once again the gas mileage is no better than my full sized rigs. So, although I like the feel and comfort of my trailblazer, I will opt for a full size next,.. probably going to be a Tahoe or Yukon.

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
I'm really liking the last few years worth of Durango, and it's sibling the Grand Cherokee. I also value towing, and the V6 does over 6,000 pounds which is where I'm at now with my 5.3, so the mpg improvement would be nice. The V8 gets you north of 8,000. I'd do a full replacement of the Saablazer with that.

We have plans for a travel trailer in 8-10 years for retirement fun, so if I can get my Saablazer to stick it out a while I'd maybe go straight to the pickup I'll need at that point. To help it last I'd get a more fuel efficient daily driver to take the mileage load off. I really like the Escape, but with my driving patterns the Volt is really tempting as I'd put very little gas in it.

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
Until they start getting 22+ mpg from a mid-size,.. I see zero reason NOT to own a full size 5.3 that gets virtually the same fuel mileage and is a much more capable and comfortable ride.

smt 59

My needs have changed over the years so a truck or suv is not in the future, instead I am looking at cars like the new Buick Regal GS now that they put a V6 back in them and made them sporty, it’s not a GN but it’s as close as GM will get to it these days.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
The next one would probably be a 2009 Volvo XC90 D5 R- design😐, can't really afford the gas this one requires with Swedish prices at about $1,80/ litre= $6.66/gal🤑😱

TB_n00b

Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
In all honesty, I'd probably go with a Subaru Crosstrek. Excellent ground clearance, AWD, good mileage, roomy enough for what I need these days. I know. It's almost blasphemous.

Reactions: sunliner

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online