What was once possible......

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Question is now with the increased interest in the 4.2 and forced induction, I wonder if Whipple would bring this back.

Found an old screenshot of the once before offered supercharger. Was soon removed and I speculate issues with the trans and rear. They said the donor Envoy made 380 HP and ran well. I was so close to buying one but was worried about the warranty and the near $4K price tag kept that idea at bay.

:salivate:

Whipple 4.2.jpg

Was pricey, but now with the more advanced tuning software, what we know about the transmission, and rear end swaps....I would assume there would be a lot of interest.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Question is now with the increased interest in the 4.2
Don't mean to be a debbie downer but I'm not sure where you've found this increased interest lol. Maybe I've missed the movement but very very few people have done actual builds on these motors compared to other engines. Tune and a cold (hot) air doesn't count haha. I haven't done tons of research on it over the years but I know I've seen less than a dozen boosted in my years around this platform and most were past builds years old and abandoned at the time I found them.

It would be cool. I wish people would find the magic with these and make a big name for them. There's no reason other than the consumer niche with these as to why they wouldn't be nearly as popular to build as a 2jz or an inline bmw. It's not impossible it just hasn't been done yet in my opinion and the ship has pretty much sailed, would be a tough bargain to get a performance brand to start slinging hot rod parts for them at this stage.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Don't mean to be a debbie downer but I'm not sure where you've found this increased interest lol. Maybe I've missed the movement but very very few people have done actual builds on these motors compared to other engines

Oh no worries, I agree there's no outpouring of support for the 4.2, but I guess I should have worded that differently.

In regards to increased interest, I suppose the 4.2 comes up in conversation, and people realize it's potential....then look at how much more support and parts are avail for an LS build and I'm sure don't give it much more thought.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Pretty sure the complicated timing chain and valve train setup is what keeps the do it your selfers away from these motors. I would imagine a high % of these motors hit the scrap yard after being torn down for chain issues and never put back together...Just way over the head of an avg guy with a few tools in a box in the garage.. Shame too cus this might be the best motor GM ever produced.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online