What type of rear end fuild for 07 97x

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
What type of rear end fuild for 07 97x

Cruised by the store today was planning on buying some 90 weight for the rear end

And then for the front end.

However the store had 75-90, 85-140 plus a bunch of other weights what exactly doe’s the 97x require regular , senthetic will whale sperm be added? this car main use is towing.

Please advice never had a AWD.

Thanks SM

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
senthetic will whale sperm be added?

No, it's not whale sperm, LOL! The additive is a friction modifier. Some differential gear oils have it already added. And yes, you need 75W90 Synthetic.

You must be confused with whale oil. That used to be used in tranny fluid a long long time ago (50's I think). No sperm.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
actualley whale sperm is slang for the GM posie additive. here's whats I've been using usalley half a tube.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...VzrrACh0Fsw9ZEAQYBCABEgLPzfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

what blows mine mind is that when the rear end man replaced a broken pinion gear on my car he told me that the additive wasn't needed this man does rear ends everyday at the dealership. my WS6 has LSD.

I'll check glove box to see what the rear end came from factory apparently you say in other thread you link to the 97x indeed has the LSD.

I know or think most 4 wheel drive trucks have a front and rear differential however when I look at the underneath of the 97x I don't see a front diff. is there one? there is a transfer case, any tips/advice on changing front diffs. fluid?

I would also like to change the transfer cases fluid, I'm totalley clueless about it's fluid, but would assume it would time to change all these fluids at same time.
remember I just started driving/learning the 97x
Thanks SM

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Monkey, here's a link to the manuals: http://steadysaabin.com/9-7x-manuals/ page 458 and 459 for the lube specs. Yes there is a front diff and transfer case. Normal 75W90 synthetic for the front, AutoTrak II for the transfer case and 75W90 synthetic with additive for the rear.

Reactions: Sprung Monkey

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
thanks but can't really see much I'll take a close look later. does the front diff look anything like the rear?

Attachments

• front diff.png
    front diff.png
    497.3 KB · Views: 8
  • awd fluid.png
    awd fluid.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 7

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All 9-7x have AWD and thus, a front diff. At least it's supposed to. Some have been removing it along with the axles when any of these components break. The transfer case is usually left there with the front drive shaft removed. Maybe the previous owner removed it?

Look on the glove box sticker for a G86 code. That would mean it should have a limited slip rear diff like all 9-7x. Now if the front diff was removed, I wouldn't trust just the sticker as the possibility of the rear diff having been replaced by a G80 locker is possible. You would basically need to open the diff to confirm visually or test with the wheels off the ground and try turning the wheels. The LS won't let you easily turn just one wheel whereas the G80 locker basically works like an open diff until the locker is engaged. Either way, adding the "sperm whale" won't bother the G80 at all so that would be the safe way to go.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
I bent/almost broke glovebox to view code lable but did see code G86 located on 4th row from right about 4 rows down.

I took a peak underneth did observe a front drive shaft. front half shafts, still don't see much of a diff, that resembles the rear end is it like a 5th camero/vett not solid and is there a skid plate coving it?
thanks SM

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It looks different, kind of elongated and attached to the oil pan. Where the driver's side axle goes in, that's it.

Sprung Monkey

Original poster
Oct 12, 2017
Al
OK I take a close for fill fitting will a socket extension fit in the front diff.

whats the code for rear end gear ratio it feels like at least 3.73 and is the front the same gear ratio?

I have enabled google spellcheck however it works only some of the time.Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Every section has an FAQ sticky with the most common, and not so common, questions. This is the one for drivetrain:
https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/faq-drivetrain.17026/
It will have the answers you are seeking.

For the spellchecker, there is one built-in to the forum software. If you mistype a word, you will see a red squiggly line under the word. Right click on it and it will give you possible suggestions.

Reactions: djthumper

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.