what tune should I get?

Canary2323

Original poster
Mar 31, 2012
Was thinking of trading in the tb but the ss deal didn't work out plus im trying to buy a house. So figure I might keep the tb for a while and get a tune and couple others things, hope it will hold off my itch for a new car . Whats everybody have for tunes, recommendations? Thanks

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I have only had my PCMofNC tune installed for about 2 weeks now and I have to say I am very impressed. Throttle response is much improved at low and mid range RPMs. The shift firmness (Level 2) feels great and down shifting is much improved as well. I think increasing the rev limiter has an effect on this.

I caught PCMofNC's Memorial day sale, $139.99 for the tune (Mailed my PCM to them) plus the cost of shipping. There service is quick. My PCM arrived Tuesday morning and it was back out in the mail the same afternoon. After installing the tune, I definitely wish it would have been my first mod on the TB. Well worth the money.

If you decide to go with PCMofNC, after you purchase your tune on their website, you will have to fill out your tuning order sheet. It is about 7 pages of questions about your vehicle and whether different components are stock or aftermarket. Below is my tune.

Shift firmness- 2 Moderately firm (Choose between 1 and 3)
Fuel Octane- 93 (Choose between 87 through 93)
Speed limiter- Removed
Rev Limiter- 6000rpm
Aftermarket CAI- Yes
Aftermarket exhaust- Yes (They said with the resonator cut off and replacing the stock muffler with a Flowmaster, that would be considered aftermarket)
Do you tow- No, 80% torque management removed (Can tell a huge difference)

Those are the main changes I made, everything else that I did not list was left "stock" on the order sheet.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I have only had my PCMofNC tune installed for about 2 weeks now and I have to say I am very impressed. Throttle response is much improved at low and mid range RPMs. The shift firmness (Level 2) feels great and down shifting is much improved as well. I think increasing the rev limiter has an effect on this.

I caught PCMofNC's Memorial day sale, $139.99 for the tune (Mailed my PCM to them) plus the cost of shipping. There service is quick. My PCM arrived Tuesday morning and it was back out in the mail the same afternoon. After installing the tune, I definitely wish it would have been my first mod on the TB. Well worth the money.

If you decide to go with PCMofNC, after you purchase your tune on their website, you will have to fill out your tuning order sheet. It is about 7 pages of questions about your vehicle and whether different components are stock or aftermarket. Below is my tune.

Shift firmness- 2 Moderately firm (Choose between 1 and 3)
Fuel Octane- 93 (Choose between 87 through 93)
Speed limiter- Removed
Rev Limiter- 6000rpm
Aftermarket CAI- Yes
Aftermarket exhaust- Yes (They said with the resonator cut off and replacing the stock muffler with a Flowmaster, that would be considered aftermarket)
Do you tow- No, 80% torque management removed (Can tell a huge difference)

Those are the main changes I made, everything else that I did not list was left "stock" on the order sheet.

Hmmmmm how does that set up do on the street? about the only changes i would do for my own would be the octane and cai but the rest sounds like a good set up for what i need.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
Hmmmmm how does that set up do on the street? about the only changes i would do for my own would be the octane and cai but the rest sounds like a good set up for what i need.

My setup performs very well on the street and even better on the highway. Downshifts are very smooth and acceleration is amazing.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
My setup performs very well on the street and even better on the highway. Downshifts are very smooth and acceleration is amazing.

Nice! It seems most of my time will be spent on the highway not so much off road at this time since i will be using my Trailblazer for work use primarily so any upgrade on the highway performance is awesome. Now that i noticed that PCM does have a loaner program for the '08+ i think i know which way im going. I was going to do the Dashhawk method but after seeing that i do not have to do a CASE relearn with the loaner program plus the fact i can keep the loaner PCM if i so choose kinda made that a no brainer.

Now of course i would need to mention on the order sheet if i am doing the Vette servo upgrade in the trans to select the best option for shift firmness upgrade right?

Whoops...its Core program they have not Loaner....hmmmm

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
Nice! It seems most of my time will be spent on the highway not so much off road at this time since i will be using my Trailblazer for work use primarily so any upgrade on the highway performance is awesome. Now that i noticed that PCM does have a loaner program for the '08+ i think i know which way im going. I was going to do the Dashhawk method but after seeing that i do not have to do a CASE relearn with the loaner program plus the fact i can keep the loaner PCM if i so choose kinda made that a no brainer.

Now of course i would need to mention on the order sheet if i am doing the Vette servo upgrade in the trans to select the best option for shift firmness upgrade right?

Whoops...its Core program they have not Loaner....hmmmm

I am about the same, 80%/20% highway to city. I believe on the 08+ you have to mail them your TCM along with your PCM, if you are going woth PCMofNC.

I cannot remember if there is a spot for servo upgrade or not on the order sheet, bit on the last page there is a comments box for extra info about your vehicle.

Shift firmness is up to you. They recommend at least level 2. So its ip to you whether you go 2 or 3.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
I am about the same, 80%/20% highway to city. I believe on the 08+ you have to mail them your TCM along with your PCM, I'd you are going woth PCMofNC.

I cannot remember if there is a spot for servo upgrade or not on the order sheet, bit on the last page there is a comments box for extra info about your vehicle.

Shift firmness is up to you. Rhey recommend at least level 2. So its ip to you whether you go 2 or 3.

Great info for sure, Hmmmm i may have to see about getting my S10 Blazer running reliably enough to drive it for the time period that the PCM/TCM is out of the Trailblazer since it just makes more sense cost wise to send them the ones in the truck vs nearly $500 more for the Dashhawk loaner program. Its prob safe to assume roughly about a week for turn around time since im in canada eh?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
Great info for sure, Hmmmm i may have to see about getting my S10 Blazer running reliably enough to drive it for the time period that the PCM/TCM is out of the Trailblazer since it just makes more sense cost wise to send them the ones in the truck vs nearly $500 more for the Dashhawk loaner program. Its prob safe to assume roughly about a week for turn around time since im in canada eh?

Yeah if you can afford the downtime, I would just mail your PCM/TCM to them. I am not sure about you guys. Check UPS and see what they offer. I sent mine 2nd day air and was shipped back to me next day air. Basically, my PCM arrived Tuesday morning and was back installed in my truck by wednesday afternoon.
Sent in PCMs are on top of the priority list.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online