What to trim on AI GMK422 mounting kit

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I got a new Pioneer FH-X820BS double DIN for the Voy. The whole package came with a GMOS-01 (hopefully all wired up) and a American International GMK422 mounting kit. Talk about confusing instructions for the mounting kit!

Does anyone know what tabs on the kit need to be cut off?

Looked here and on the web but can't find any details.

EDIT:

I had an apostrophe or an epiphany not sure which :undecided:

Pull the old radio and work at it until it fits. Turns out the tabs on the side brackets have letters molded into the plastic. Cut off everything except the A tabs. They're the ones in the front. Cut off the side tabs on the front bezel. Looks like the top and bottom front bezel tabs are a non-issue.

I used standard sized wire cutters (side cutters, diagonal cutters). Wear safety glasses or make sure you point the tab in a safe direction when you cut! They can fly.

I got some pictures of the finished mount and will post them later.

Reactions: kickass audio

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That sounds just like the Metra HU kits I've seen at local stores, as well as the ones i've gotten from Crutchfield and SonicElectronics over the years. They are definitely confusing the first time you look at them.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
In searching the web I found reference to the Schose version. Looked it up and it was identical. Made to fit most double DIN openings with a bunch of different mounting tabs. It would have been so easy for American International to have a table in the instructions saying which tabs to cut since they were labeled.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Promised pictures...
20150110_1104541.jpg
20150110_1106391.jpg
20150110_1107011.jpg

gmc4flash

Mar 25, 2015
I wish I had found this topic sooner... had to suffer through the same confusion as to which tabs to remove. I cut more of the unused tabs off... nice to know on the next one I can cut less. (just did my son's envoy, next up my 03 avalanche.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online