What PSI?

keepontruckin

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey everyone,

Im running on 245/75/17 General Grabber AT2s and i love them so far...

i was just wondering what pressure you guys run for everyday use. Mine are at 38psi right now and for some reason whenever i look at the truck they seem low, its probably just me.

But i figured i'd ask anyway...

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
On my old '05 Envoy, I ran 35 at all corners.

The higher the pressure, to a point, the lower the rolling resistance and, the higher the gas mileage.
However, we do not want premature wear on the tires.
The best pressure, is the one that wears the tires evenly across the surface.

Too little air, and the outsides will wear, too much air and the middle will wear.

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
I called BFG about my tires (275/70/17) a while after I put them on, and they recommended 35psi. The factory recommended 32 for the stock tires and 35 for the newer models. :confused: Bigger tire, same pressure.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I run 40psi on my Destination A/T's of the same size.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I think you can call the MFR and tell them your vehicle type/weight and they can tell you how much air you should run.
Another way is to do the chalk test to get the ideal pressure for your truck and tire combo.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
navigator said:
I think you can call the MFR and tell them your vehicle type/weight and they can tell you how much air you should run.
Another way is to do the chalk test to get the ideal pressure for your truck and tire combo.

I agree with the chalk test. Several factors can change how much air gets your specific truck and tire combo to where right. I have tried everything from 25 to 42 psi in my big wide E range tires and it rides a ton better at 28 psi, but does slightly better fuel at upper end, but they seem to wear perfect at 32 and the ride is good. I have 30,000 miles on Mud tires and over 1/2 tread left. 12/32nds all across at last check.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
YOUNG said:
On the inside of my Driver side door it has the tire pressure chart, I would snap a picture of it but im in school so i cant. :raspberry:

That only works with the stock size and load rating of tire... This is a different size, and possibly an LT tire.

I called BFG and my 245/70-17 BFG AT LT/E range tires should be at 45PSI on this vehicle. I had them at 35 to start with, and they were starting to wear the sides badly, so I called BFG, and they calculated the tire pressure for me based on the vehicle.

Generally speaking, wider tires need less pressure, and heavier load range and LT tires need higher pressure. Where the pressure ends up depends on how much wider you went, compared to how much heavier tire. Call the MFG, and they will tell you what pressure to run.

Mike

asautt

Dec 5, 2011
Bartonmd said:
That only works with the stock size and load rating of tire... This is a different size, and possibly an LT tire.

I called BFG and my 245/70-17 BFG AT LT/E range tires should be at 45PSI on this vehicle. I had them at 35 to start with, and they were starting to wear the sides badly, so I called BFG, and they calculated the tire pressure for me based on the vehicle.

Generally speaking, wider tires need less pressure, and heavier load range and LT tires need higher pressure. Where the pressure ends up depends on how much wider you went, compared to how much heavier tire. Call the MFG, and they will tell you what pressure to run.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion to call the mfg. We just put 275/45R20 Firestone Destination STs on my wifes TB. The Discount Tire Center originally had 40 psi in them. I had them drop them down to the 30front/35 rear that is on the door label. Just got off the phone with Firestone Technical and they recommended 30 front/32 rear. Said to watch for wear and adjust accordingly.

Alan

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher