What oil are you running?

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
Over the past couple of months since I've gotten back into knowing about the vehicles I own I've done a bit of research on synthetic oil. The Envoy was recently switched to Amsoil and a Wix filter. The Silverado gets a free oil change at 3K at the dealer and I'll pay the up charge to whatever synthetic they have (probably Mobil 1) then go to Amsoil.

So what oil and filter do you run?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Castrol synthetic blend with a microgard filter.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
When I first bought my Envoy in 2004 with 64k miles, I immediately started using Motorcraft's semi-syn 5w/30 with an AC-Delco oil filter. I used that until I hit about 95,000 miles and because of all of the good rebate offers, switched to Valvoline Syn-power 5w/30 and have been using that ever since.

The key is to get an oil analysis - you cannot determine if an oil/filter combo is good for your vehicle based on sound, feel, or the color of the oil after xxxxx miles. I get an oil analysis every year or two. The motorcraft turned back excellent results as did the Valvoline and the oil analysis's help me extend my OCI's to get more bang for my buck and keep myself from disposing of good oil. :thumbsup:

First oil analysis with Motorcraft semi-syn:
afc0vb.jpg

A different oil analysis with Valvoline Syn-Power:
1ffwd4.jpg

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Run Mobil 1 0W-30 in both trucks, use either a Bosch or Mobil 1 filter. Have run Amsoil 0W-30, 5W-30 and M1 5W-30 in them, the SS has only seen M1 0W-30 since its first oil change at 512mi. The 02 started life with whatever oil the dealer used until ~45k then I switched to Pennzoil for a year then to Amsoil for ~4. Been running M1 in it for ~2 years now because Im usually pressed for time when getting oil and I can run the same oil in both trucks. Gets changed about every 7-8k depending on the OLM and time, change it every 6 months regardless.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
synthetic mobil 1

envoyjoe

Dec 6, 2011
full synthetic mobil 1 5w-30 and the fram 10,000 mile oil filter and i change the oil every 20,000 miles and oil filter at 10,000 miles

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Full Synthetic Mobil 1 High Mileage along with a Mobile 1 filter.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cheapest I can find.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
Oil is Mobile1 5w30 (all vehicles in my house use it), M1-206 filter.
Trans is Valvoline Dex6.
Diffs are Royal Purple 75w140. Keeps the lockers quiet.
Transfer Case is Autotrak II, but I'm going to try Royal Purple Synchromax next time around.

bore_pig

Nov 25, 2011
Mobil1 5w30 Extended Performance with Wix filter. Seems to keep everything quiet during sub-zero starts.
Trans is Mobil1 synthetic ATF.
Diffs are 75w90 Castrol Syntec.
Transfer case is Autotrak II. I did run Mobil1 synthetic ATF for a while, did not notice any problems with it.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
jbones said:
I remember you mentioned that today, saw it at O'Reilly Auto later on, I believe it was $20.

Yikes, it must have gone up. I got it for somewhere around 12-14 last time from Oreilly.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
Mobil 1 5w30 and a purolator classic oil filter. Both changed at around 5K miles.

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
After doing some research on bob is the oil guy I switched from the Mobil 1 full synthetic to the Kendall GT full synthetic, but stick with the AC Delco filter.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
5w30 Mobil 1 and SuperTech filter.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mobil 1, was running truck & SUV but last time the store was out of that so I put in the high mileage stuff. Don't know if it really made any difference. I just know my previous car really liked that high mileage mobil 1 so I thought I'd give it a go here.

Had been running AC Delco filters but they cheapened them apparently, so I have a mobil 1 filter right now. Next time may be one of those or a Wix or something else in the upper tiers.

Guenther

Dec 7, 2011
O'Reilly's has a $26 special on 5+qts Castrol Syntec synthetic and K&N filter so I changed the oil today. I got 2 of the packages so I'll just need to get 3-4 more quarts for the next oil change. I'm not sure what brand was used in it before since I just purchased the Voy for my son a couple weeks ago but I'm going to stick with synthetic. I did some research on the Syntec and the reviews seem to be good.

salvo2002

Dec 5, 2011
anyone running dino?

and has anyone ever seen this? saw it at target the other day and can't find any specs on it from the mobil site, only this site.....
mobil.jpg

using supertech 5w30 with purolator pureone filter

NeWtIcUs

Dec 6, 2011
6 quarts royal purple
1 quart marvel mystery oil
Royal purple filter
Change it when the OLM say 1%
:popcorn:

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Dino oil, generally what what ever is on sale that meets SAE requirements. Same for filters, usually Purolator because its what's cheapest where I shop. Never, ever will I buy another Fram filter. I change aprox every 5k.

I've considered synthetic, but then I lay down til the thought goes away. Its not that I think its bad, I've just never been convinced there is a huge advantage to it. Some advantage, just not enough to make me jump into using it. I also don't use any additives, they are just "mechanic in a can" snake oil.

I've been doing it this way for 30 years and typically run my vehicles 150k - 200k miles. My TB has 135k right now. The key to oil is not so much what you use, but being regular about changes.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I usually do Mobil 1....but saw a deal on this...I used a Purolatpr PureOne filter....I would recommend both...no worries.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
HARDTRAILZ said:
Cheapest I can find.

^ Yup ^

As I write/type/input this I have 42 qts. of Mobil 5000 5w-30. So, with the mileage I put on, I'm good for about six years. :raspberry: :wootwoot:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Still have one more freebie from the dealer but when thats over with
Probably do Mobil 1 syn with K&N Gold

loaded_05

Dec 8, 2011
oil change special on valvoline syn power and bosch filter. I would like information on where to get oil analysis.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
bigytwotone said:
helo every one sorry to change the subject but i run full syn castrol 5/30 and fram tough gard about how often shouldi change my oil???

Follow the Oil Life Monitor. Or yearly, if the OLM doesnt light -up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online