What long term damage with no installed PCM Fuse(s) cause, if any?

Lipstick-n-Lugs

Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Ann Arbor, MI
Distressed damsel here.

Long story short: someone stole one of my keys/fobs to a vehicle that is in my name/not roadworthy due to suspension/and is not currently insured. So with that being said, it doesn't need to be on the road; PERIOD. Lucky for me, I grew up in a garage and he didn't, so I was thinking about yanking the PCM combo.

Until I can re-key (because I know he's not going to return it) and do all the other fun legal stuff that goes with this mess, can't I just remove the fuse set to prevent my truck from being taken by said theif? What long term damage would it cause to my truck, if any? I can't personally think of any, but I don't know everything either (write it down boys lol), so any experience/input anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

I know repeat installation of said fuses has the potential to blow other components, but I'm referring to a one-pull-and-done situation. Would it cause any issues with the ECM or anything otherwise that I'm not forseeing? Because if the truck is just sitting, I can't think of anything going wrong.

Thanks in advance,
L.L.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I'd just remove the mega fuse and a few relays. I'd stay away from removal of the pcm. The connectors and wire harnesses to it are a bit sensitive.

Reactions: Redbeard

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: If this guy doesn't know his way around an engine bay, you might be able to just disconnect the battery cable feeding into the front fuse block, wrap some electrical tape around the ring terminal, and leave your fuses and relays in place.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I only meant the fuses, not the actual PCM itself. But thank you, regardless. 😁
Oh, okay. I miss read that. You can just remove the ground from the battery to the frame right near the fuse box and battery box. It's only a 10 mm bolt, tape the end and tuck it in some where. Good luck starting it with out that wire.

I learned that one this weekend after replacing the fuel pump on my Voy. I must of nudge it a little to much and it fell apart at the crimp connection.

Reactions: Lipstick-n-Lugs

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, the truck will still start without the mega fuse, just lights, dash and stuff won't work.

Disconnecting the battery is too obvious and maybe even the most inept person could reconnect it if he spots it. Pulling the PCM fuses will make him think it's something more than just a dead or disconnected since lights and stuff will work. Even better, pull the fuse and relay for the fuel pump. Will not be obvious at all, it will crank but will not start.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online