What kind of MPG do y'all get?

What MPG Do y'all get on your 4.2L TB or Envoy? 2 Answers please, one each for City and Highway.

• Total voters

RyanEAS

Original poster
Jun 21, 2014
So, I figured I'd pose this question after seeing a post where someone claimed they got 24+ MPG Highway on their TB/Envoy and I thought to myself "No freakin' way!"
I track mine with an app called "Gas Record" (android). I'm not able to get a city/highway breakdown, but I average about 15 mpg. Most I've gotten is 19 highway, and lowest I've gotten is 8 mpg city. Just curious if everyone gets around the same, wildly different from each other, or what. Thanks in advance!!

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
That 24+mpg highway post could have been me. I did get that when I first purchased my envoy in 2014. Got 27mpg highway with ethanol free gas from Oklahoma on a funeral road trip. BUT I have neglected repairing a few these past two years. Like ball joints and a noise from the front diff or drivers side axle. With the alignment being out of wack from the bad ball joint and that noise from the drivers front I have been averaging 17mpg highway. Next time my brother in law is here visiting(should be early summer) were gonna take the envoy over to the auto craft shop on ft knox and use their lift and tools to fix0r her up. Another thing to factor in are the goodyear assurance fuel max tires that are on it. They are a low rolling resistance tire. I do not do a lot of city driving but when I do, I do so with a hypermile process. For example...Light way up ahead turns red let off the gas and coast and time the arrival at the stop light so I do not come to a complete stop.

Checked only the highway mileage I get now. Have not calculated city mileage in years. I do not do a lot of city driving per tank. Just a few short trips to a nearby store. I only drive around 10k miles a year in the envoy. The other 25k miles a year are done in a company vehicle. Ford E250 super duty averages 10mpg.

Last edited:
Reactions: RyanEAS

Lckent48

Dec 4, 2011
I track all mileage, mostly as a diagnostic tool to get early warning of something gone wrong. Worst was 12.9, all city, cold & snow. Best was 23.4, 2 lane highway going about 60mph for 150 miles from Laramie to Alcova, WY. Overall average for last 35k miles is 15.4, about 75% city/short trips.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
I average 14.5, pretty good for a guy who has a lead foot.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was getting 17MPG city on the TB but after the tune, it dropped to 15. Don't remember what I was getting hwy.

Sneakycyber

Oct 30, 2017
Ohio
With remote starting in the winter (idling for 20 min) and a 2 minute drive to work. My mileage is horrible in the city. According to fuelio it's around 9-10mpg. My highway is pretty good 19-20. I have only had my Trailblazer for 4 months, I am the 3rd owner and the mileage is pretty good for being 2007 (142,217). It gets better mileage than my Blazer LT used to get, but my S10 Zr2 was a little better.

Robmoo

Jan 24, 2012
Fort Worth Texas
16-18 MPG highway, but it is in city traffic and I have a lead foot and not much patience. My driving habits improve quite a bit after I've driven the Prius for a couple of weeks.

Torker

Jan 2, 2017
Udall,Ks
Mine is low 17 mpg average. 50% hiway /city. I live 30 mi. from work in middle of Wichita. but only first 9 miles is truly hiway 65+ Go thru 2 towns. 40 min. one way

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Around flat ground of Tampa we get around 15.5 mpg. Hwy 21. About 10 years ago I was driving from Miami to Tampa at a straight 55 mph. I was just seeing what the best mileage I could get and it returned 25.5 mpg! Admittedly flat ground and good weather but above 25 mpg! Most highway driving between 65 and 70 come back around 21 to 21.5 mpg with in town around 15.5. When it drops below 13 the O2 sensor usually is about to take a dump.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Around flat ground of Tampa
Is there a part of FL that isn't flat? I know Tampa is likely a little lower, elevation-wise, but the rest of the state isn't what I'd call 'hilly'...LOL

To answer the OPs question -
If I'm in stop-n-go, probably about 12, max.
If I'm in suburban (most of the time), I can maintain 22mpg on the instantaneous pretty easily (40-55mph). That doesn't include stopping, idling, etc.
If I'm on the interstate - 16-18, at 70mph cruise (not 'cruise control') depending on speed / terrain / time of year (winter / summer).

While I know 'how', I don't track mileage by the tankful with my Envoy.

Word of caution - I have the V8, so I'm a bit of an outlier. I also have a LWB. And we use EPA-mandated RFG (10% ethanol) - which is even crappier in winter.

(on edit - I looked at the poll above, and the OP was only asking for 4.2L models. Sorry!) :dunce:

2nd edit - I drove from roughly the WI border to Lafayette, IN 2/10 - using cruise about 1/2 the distance. 17.5mpg @ 65-70mph.

Last edited:

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
Cant understand why these 4.2's dont get better mpg's,... my SBC 5.0's would get 17-19 all day long,...hell even my 5.7's when properly tuned got 15,... and then there's my HD2500 Duramax that gets 20mpg,... frustrating to take a step down in size and NOT get better mileage,...my Mitsu Montero Sport (3.0) gets 23mpg,... although IT doesnt have the weight or the power of the 4.2

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
When I had my old Envoy (before trading it in for the Avalanche), I would average roughly 22.5 to 24 on the highway, city wise it would tank to about 12. I found 65 to be a sweet spot for getting decent MPGs, anything over and it slowly tanks.

The 04 EXT with the I6 I had for a short while before trading up to an 05 TB EXT with the V8 got me about 20 MPG at best on the highway, and about 10 in the city. It had 3.42 gears which didn't help all too much.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
When I am working, about 12. That is fan clutch locked gas pedal acting as an on off switch trying to get my route done as fast as possible and all in town... or as in town as it gets here. All highway at 70-75 gets me around 22. Any mixing and its roughly 18. She hasn't had an easy life but I take care of her. If I take it easy, almost 15 in town.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online