What is your oil pressure??

jd8181

Original poster
Jan 8, 2012
I was just wondering what everyones oil pressure runs at? When I am at idle it is usually at 40 and when I am cruising down the road at about 60 mpg it runs about 50 and if I get on it alittle bit it about hits 60.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Sounds about right. Mine runs right at 50 under normal conditions, and goes a little lower at idle.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Isnt the oil pressure gauge buffered by the PCM? In other words, the oil pressure gauge will always read 40psi at idle and rise to 50-70psi when you are driving. Its not your actual oil pressure.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
On the 4.2L its just a pressure switch to tell the computer there is minimal oil pressure. The computer then drives the gauge based on RPM. Are the numbers even realistic? I don't know. The 5.3L has a real sending unit though the computer may dampen the display value so you don't see every fluctuation.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
A couple months ago Harbor Freight had gauges on sale for about $15 so I bought their oil pressure setup. What I'm finding is the only time it compares with the IP gauge is at ~2000 rpm and the engine is warmed up. Then both read about 50 psi. When first started the HF gauges will read in the high 70's and when the oil is warmed and at engine idle the oil pressure is 10-15 psi. I didn't have a good comparison gauge to check the accuracy of the HF gauge. Directionally, however, the oil pressure behaves like my wife's car that also has the gerotor type oil pump. Her car's oil pressure is in the 70s when first started and idles around 20 psi.
My IP gauge is always greater than 40 and always less than 60. My guess is if the oil pressure was actually displayed at 20 psi at idle there would be a flood of people complaining.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
AbsoluteZero said:
..My guess is if the oil pressure was actually displayed at 20 psi at idle there would be a flood of people complaining.
That's the right answer. :thumbsup: On the I6 engine, the displayed oil pressure is a fantasy number MADE UP by the PCM to convince the average owner that there's some life beyond the firewall. I don't know how the designer was able to sleep at night knowing the system was lying continuously like that. Management must have tied them in their chair and forced them to do the unethical thing.

All the gauges that read around straight up (12 o'clock) for normal operation are subject to PCM "smoothing" of the real data, which you can see with a scan tool or Scangauge. But the I6 oil pressure gauge is in a class all of its own with the full-up LIE being displayed. The V8 data is smoothed and averaged, but at least that system uses a true sensor in the circuit instead of a simple (cheap :hissyfit:) on/off switch.

RaylanR

Apr 4, 2012
Well mine runs about 50-60 psi while driving and at idle stays about 40 psi, ofcourse that is when the engine is cold... after I have driving it for at least 15-20 minutes if a came to stop light the "LOW OIL PRESSURE - STOP ENGINE " warnings display and I just give her a little gas while I keep pressing on my brake to kick up my RPM to tell the PCM that everything is fine... I have replace both iddler, tensioner pulley, also I clean my trottle body in and out, replace the sensor/sending unit right about the oil filter and the daing thing keeps acting up! my next idea is probably that my oil pump is giving up, but I'm afraid to spend the 80.00 to replace it and that will also not solve my problem...

Not trying to highjack this post... I just need it to let it out one more time.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
When first started the HF gauges will read in the high 70's and when the oil is warmed and at engine idle the oil pressure is 10-15 psi.

First thought when I read that ... no wonder its a rigged display at the panel. 10 psi at idle?!?!?! :eek: Holy crap. Thats actually a little scary. Hate to think what actual pressure trips the "low pressure" logic ("switch" would just be wrong here).

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I think its a 12 PSI switch. So 12 PSI or greater its on and less than 12 its off and that's the computer's decision point. So 10-15 is believable. I'm not going to assume HF stuff is calibrated too exactly.

eutechnyx

Mar 31, 2012
This is some interesting info here. i did NOT know it was like that. and after all that i though Damn this 4.2 has some amazing pressure. lol

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Yup, the I6 lies to the end user on the oil pressure, but at least it doesnt on engine temp. V8s are more accurate on oil pressure, but lie on temp, GM should have changed the cluster to say 195F straight up and down. And Ive seen my I6 temp go from 201-207F on a normal day and just on Monday watched the SS go from 185-197F on a road trip in 35-50F weather. Ugh, frustrating as heck.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
Mark20 said:
I think its a 12 PSI switch. So 12 PSI or greater its on and less than 12 its off and that's the computer's decision point. So 10-15 is believable. I'm not going to assume HF stuff is calibrated too exactly.
From what I could find the specs are 12 psi @ 1200 rpm. Agree on the accuracy of the HF gauge, especially at the end points. I would have liked to check it against a known good gauge but don't have one available. I installed it more as a curiosity factor as a check against the IP display.

As mentioned the characteristics of the Envoy's oil pressure are similar to the wife's 3.6l SRX. The SRX actually has an oil pressure sender but not an oil pressure readout on the dash. I'm reading what's reported to the PCM.

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
10psi per 1,000rpm used to be a good "rule of thumb"....don't see why that doesn't still apply.

People don't necessrily need to know the real PSI of their oil unless there is imminent failure about to happen. The exception if the off-road crowd who need to monitor real PSI on hill climbs and descents.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
davenay67 said:
10psi per 1,000rpm used to be a good "rule of thumb"....don't see why that doesn't still apply.

People don't necessrily need to know the real PSI of their oil unless there is imminent failure about to happen. The exception if the off-road crowd who need to monitor real PSI on hill climbs and descents.

Due to oil going to one end of the pan?

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
Mark20 said:
Due to oil going to one end of the pan?

Yup. Unless yoyu have an oil pan with the appropriate windage trays, a steep incline can drain oil away form the pump on certain motors.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online