what is this part

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
I don't know what this is but it is leaking. Looking at the motor from front, it is on the right side, just right of PCM. It has two metal tubes going into the front of it and two coming out the back. It is the rusty part under the corrugated grey tube. Any help is appreciated. This is an 05 TB 4.2L.IMG_0398.jpgIMG_0398.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I believe that is just the Transmission Cooler Line Hold Down. Very common, and very prone, to rusting out. Usually requires replacement of the entire transmission cooler line assembly, but you can just do a cut, and splice, but its not guaranteed.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
By the PCM, those are the power steering lines. Mine died in the same place. The metal plate can be unbolted, and the rubber is just a slotted block that the lines are sitting in.

Before I got replacement lines I was able to get some high pressure compression fittings and fuel line, cut out the rusted part, and do a patch repair.

Good Luck!

Chris

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When you replace it/them, remove that rubber block. It retains water and rusts the lines.

Last edited:

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Ah...I *think* they were 5/16", but I'll have to see if I still have one of the tags to make sure. That was awhile ago. I'll take a look at the size of the power steering hoses on RockAuto and see if they have a size notation. If they do, I most likely used that as a verification.

Not a lot of fluid came out when I cut the pipes because the pipes were already leaking, so they'd already drained a bit (more like barfed fluid all over the street). I was able to use clothes/towels to clean up rather than needing a catch pan when I was doing the actual pipe cutting.

The thing to keep in mind is that if debris gets in the lines it may kill the pump or the rack at some point, so be careful when you're cutting and deburring the pipe.

Reactions: mrrsm and thebat

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Well, hopefully you didn't go by that 5/16" size, because I finally found the receipt, and I bought
3/8", not 5/16". 3/8" also matches what the Rockauto fittings were noted as. Bought a couple of sections of fuel line repair pipe, and high pressure compression fittings. Also bought a small (tight clearance) pipe cutter with a cutting blade that could handle steel pipe, instead of the more common one that's for copper/brass.

When I took it to the garage for the full repair once the replacement pipes came in (I just couldn't tackle it myself in the time I had available), they asked me if I really needed to replace the hoses, since the patches I made were holding. I said "wait until you've seen the rest of the pipes". When they got in to them a bit further, they agreed. My originals were pretty badly rusted in a number of places, not just under that hold down.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Last edited:

Gunner

Jan 23, 2019
Minnesota
Well, hopefully you didn't go by that 5/16" size, because I finally found the receipt, and I bought
3/8", not 5/16". 3/8" also matches what the Rockauto fittings were noted as. Bought a couple of sections of fuel line repair pipe, and high pressure compression fittings. Also bought a small (tight clearance) pipe cutter with a cutting blade that could handle steel pipe, instead of the more common one that's for copper/brass.

When I took it to the garage for the full repair once the replacement pipes came in (I just couldn't tackle it myself in the time I had available), they asked me if I really needed to replace the hoses, since the patches I made were holding. I said "wait until you've seen the rest of the pipes". When they got in to them a bit further, they agreed. My originals were pretty badly rusted in a number of places, not just under that hold down.
*INote: the original lines are 3/8" steel. If these are known to be original, go with 3/8" compression fittings to repair. I put replacement lines into mine a couple years ago, and the replacement lines are 10mm...3/8 fittings no longer fit! Metric compression fittings are not normal stock items, but easy to get in a day or two. (Dorman #800-206)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online