What is the torque side of the I6

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'm a little confused... the passengers side fails first normally.

Reactions: Blckshdw and smt 59

smt 59

Original poster
I was trying to figure that out but it sounds like it’s a common issue, it use to be almost always the torque side was the one that went, thank you for that.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, my passenger side mount is currently split, and the driver's side is still good. Have a brand new set, just haven't gotten around to replacing them yet, as the vibrations haven't gotten to the point of bothering me.

Reactions: smt 59

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Oh. Well yea. Also the heat from the exhaust doesn't help either lol.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Everyone understands what you mean to describe. But since there is always a bit of confusion about the Direction of "Torque" in Relation to the Direction of Rotation... the actual thing that happens with all Engines in relation to "Which Motor Mounts Suffer The Most?" has to do entirely with Newton's Third Law of Motion:

"For Every Action... There is an Opposite and Equal Reaction..."

... and so... If the Direction of Rotation in GM RWD (Rear Wheel Drive Engines) is Clockwise.... Then the Mass of the Engine Block housing the Rotating Assembly will always Move in the Opposite, Counter-Clockwise Direction ...and with an Equal amount of Force.

That same Force and Effect can be observed whenever you Turn on a Garden Hose, Pop a Cork out of a Magnum of Champagne ...or launch a Rocket Ship into Outer Space. If the Motor Mounts in the SUV were NOT present to restrain the Engine during increases in RPM ... it and the unsecured mounted Transmission via not having its own Mount present... would try very hard to Counter-Spin them both inside of the Engine Compartment!

This reality of Newton's 3rd Law of Motion invariably causes the Passenger Side Motor Mounts to suffer the most as a result of this harsh, repetitive "Impact Force" caused by the Engine Block's determination to Rotate in the Opposite Direction... with the underside of the Cast Iron Mount Bracket Squashing the Right Side Motor Mount "Rubber Ball" and Squishing against the mass of that Internal Gel over and over... eventually wearing out that Right, Passenger Side of the pair of Motor Mounts... First.

Where actual Torque is concerned... THAT Force Vector is always felt Longitudinally ...and is Perpendicular along the Axis of Rotation... and so it actually moves towards the REAR of the Vehicle ...along the Axis of the Driveshaft as Angular Velocity. The easiest way to visualize this Torque event is to use "The Right Hand Rule" as it applies here... and is well noted in this Linked Article:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tord.html

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online