What is the device on the B-pillar

dgsaab

Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
MI
2009 9-7x
On the driver's side B-pillar, behind the driver's left ear, there is a round thing about 1-1.5" diameter full of many little holes. Same color as the B-pillar trim. What is it?
And how do you take it out? Does it pop out brute force or do you have to take out the trim panel and dismount it from behind?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
It's the interior temp sensor. For removal you'll need to move the driver seat as close to the steering wheel as possible then pull or pry the top of the lower trim(no need to remove it completely jus open it up). Lastly pry pull the upper b pillar trim from the bottom and that should give you full access to the sensor. 20170309_184149.jpg20170309_183522.jpg

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Let me guess, it's making noise? That sensor has a small fan motor. Clean out the dust and add a drop or two of oil to the fan's shaft. Usually quiets it down. If not, you'll need a new one.

dgsaab

Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
MI
Yes it started making noise. A very soft whirring high pitch noise. Only noticeable because it's right behind the driver's ear.
Thank you both for the detailed advice.

dgsaab

Original poster
Jun 28, 2016
MI
Completed successfully. For anyone else having this issue, additional hints:
The upper trim panel has a screw behind the plate labeled "Air Bag". Don't try to pull out the panel without taking the screw out first.
It's not necessary to completely remove the upper trim panel in order to pull out the sensor, but I found it easier to work with the trim removed.
The sensor comes straight out easily, it's barely held in the square hole in the sheetmetal.
The fan motor shaft is directly behind the temperature sensor. You need to have an oil dropper bottle with a small tip or similar. I wouldn't advise drenching the area in oil, it gets clogged up with dirt as it is, oil will make it worse.

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
Mine was noisy. I looked and found it had an amazing amount of lint and dust trapped in it. There is no access from the back of the sensor to blow the collected trash out the way it entered, so I found an OEM replacement sensor on Amazon for $50. I replaced it and am very happy with the value!

Rick

Reactions: xavierny25

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Mine was noisy. I looked and found it had an amazing amount of lint and dust trapped in it. There is no access from the back of the sensor to blow the collected trash out the way it entered, so I found an OEM replacement sensor on Amazon for $50. I replaced it and am very happy with the value!

Rick

Do you think a shopvac would pull stuff out without damaging anything?

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
Good to hear from you guys on the cleaning method. If and when it ever becomes necessary to clean the fan again, I hope to remember your ideas!

Rick

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online