what is leaking?

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
I brought the Rainier into the garage for an oil chance and smelled a hint of coolant.
Whats the probably cause? 97K miles on the I6
This is what i see:
View attachment 20176

Attachments

• DSC01524.jpg
    DSC01524.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC01523.jpg
    DSC01523.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC01522.jpg
    DSC01522.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 7

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Fans sure sling it all around and disguise the root cause, but that the fan is flinging it is often a hint. Check to see if the water pump bearing is loose by trying to wiggle the fan. Remove the serpentine belt if necessary to get rid of the tension on the fan pulley.

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
great, the fan has some wiggle to it.

How much if the dealer does?

How hard to do myself?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
2001FZ1 said:
How much if the dealer does?
How much ya got? :rotfl:

Seriously, they use a book rate for labor and list price for parts that they can quote you on the phone. Probably $500 if I had to guess
How hard to do myself?
Easier than brakes, except for the challenge of getting the fan clutch off the water pump. That has taken some members ten minutes, and some members have taken three frustrating days and had to resort to power tools. Start by searching for fan clutch replacement, and gauge it for yourself. Only you know how well-equipped you are with tools and experience and how much you want to avoid the expense.

Every town also has competent and honest independent mechanics. No need for it always to be a choice between you and the dealer. Your friends or yelp.com can help you find a local independent with good reputation.

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
the roadie said:
How much ya got? :rotfl:

Seriously, they use a book rate for labor and list price for parts that they can quote you on the phone. Probably $500 if I had to guessEasier than brakes, except for the challenge of getting the fan clutch off the water pump. That has taken some members ten minutes, and some members have taken three frustrating days and had to resort to power tools. Start by searching for fan clutch replacement, and gauge it for yourself. Only you know how well-equipped you are with tools and experience and how much you want to avoid the expense.

Every town also has competent and honest independent mechanics. No need for it always to be a choice between you and the dealer. Your friends or yelp.com can help you find a local independent with good reputation.

Brake are easy so I'll give it a shot. Looks like the fat nut is 36mm. The old site has a dude using a big wrench and a hammer to knock it loose.

How many gallons does the radiator hold? I'll replace all the coolant while I'm making a big mess.

Thanks!!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
13.8 quarts if I remember correctly. Check out my p0128 thread for info from my t-stat saga.

Ace1875

Mar 29, 2012
2001FZ1 said:
Brake are easy so I'll give it a shot. Looks like the fat nut is 36mm. The old site has a dude using a big wrench and a hammer to knock it loose.

How many gallons does the radiator hold? I'll replace all the coolant while I'm making a big mess.

Thanks!!

2.5 gallons pure dex cool the rest water.

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Is the nut holding the fan assembly standard thread?

Looking at the front of engine with wrench handle at 12 O'clock, smack with hammer to left?

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Do you guys think I should replace the upper and lower radiator hoses while I'm in there?

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
yeah, that top connections looks like a pain to get too. How long do they normally last? 100k, 150k, 200k?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I replaced everything, t-state, waterpump, temp sensor, hoses, Rad cap. For the extra 30 it was an easy choice. Lower is pretty easy when replacing the t-stat.

Sent from my Acer A500

n0kfb

Dec 8, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I am going to say waterpump.

With the engine cool, feel the back side of the water pump pulley for coolant. If it is dry, the pump is not leaking at the shaft.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2001FZ1 said:
Is the nut holding the fan assembly standard thread?

Looking at the front of engine with wrench handle at 12 O'clock, smack with hammer to left?

Yes, but be careful of the sensor on the upper left corner of the engine.

2001FZ1

Original poster
Dec 27, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Yes, but be careful of the sensor on the upper left corner of the engine.

Thanks!

This shouldn't be too costly of a repair if everything goes well. The pump, coolant and a serpentine belt is just $62 at advance auto after using a $35 coupon code I found online. The current belt has 50k miles so I might as well replace it since it will be off anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online