What is a E-fan?

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
Probably a n00b question. I searched the forum and haven't found my answer.
So, What is a E Fan ? What does it do and why would you have more rwhp ?

This question is based off a post i made on why when i am in park or N, when pedal to the metal is applied the engine doesn't have that zippy rumble... like race engine, keep in mind i know our engine is not a race engine but i had plenty of other vehicles that had no problem gulping gas and getting up to RPM. This is just a weird theroy that maybe the big giant fan attached to the front of my motor is causing the BOGing and that's why i asked what a E fan is...? does it replace the giant fan attached to the front of the motor?

side note: took off the air intake and checked the throttle body cleaned it and my engine just isn't touchy like i would expect.. :sadcry:

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
E-fan, shortened version of electronic fan. It replaces the belt driven fan. The minor increase in hp is not an increase in the sense of the word, but a reclamation of lost hp used to drive the belt fan.

An electronic temperature switch turns on the fan at a preconfigured temperature. Below the temp, the fan is off.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Our engines are limited to about 3K RPM's, by the PCM, while in Park or Neutral.

That limit can be removed with a tune.

Also, the fan is free wheeling until commanded by the PCM due to engine temp.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
...and is not recommended. The P/N limit is there to prevent damage to the torque converter and/or trans internals.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
... because kids used to love to get the RPM up to 6000 in Neutral and THEN drop it into gear and stress the hell out of the drivetrain to get 1/10 of a tire revolution of chirp out of them. GM wanted to reduce its warranty expenses, so they limit that path for abuse. They also limit the power you can get in other ways, (called torque management) and removing that restriction is one of the benefits of a PCM tune.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Also, the fan is free wheeling until commanded by the PCM due to engine temp.

Not on all 360's. I have the 08 fanclutch which is when they went back to the thermodynamic and ditched the electro since it had so many problems.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
HARDTRAILZ said:
Not on all 360's. I have the 08 fanclutch which is when they went back to the thermodynamic and ditched the electro since it had so many problems.

Good catch. Although it is still still dependent on the engine temp. Just not the PCM.

kartracer_3

Jun 7, 2012
Sorry ghost just kidding, You bring up a good point. Getting rid of that big glob of rotating mass GM calls a fan clutch assembly is on my to do list and I am going with an ELECTRIC fan.
1. HP increase however small it maybe
2.MPG increase
3. It cleans up the front of the motor making it easier to get to everything. No more BFH and BAW to remove fan clutch to change waterpump, lots easier to change belt and tensioners and so on.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
kartracer_3 said:
Sorry ghost just kidding, You bring up a good point. Getting rid of that big glob of rotating mass GM calls a fan clutch assembly is on my to do list and I am going with an ELECTRIC fan.
1. HP increase however small it maybe
2.MPG increase
3. It cleans up the front of the motor making it easier to get to everything. No more BFH and BAW to remove fan clutch to change waterpump, lots easier to change belt and tensioners and so on.

Just curious why does pcmforless have such a large whp gain using there e-fan???

Btw ill make a video tommorow with me slamming on the gas pedal in part to show the serious bog/delay. Weird part if I am doing 50mph place in N engine revs to red line (awesome).

kartracer_3

Jun 7, 2012
Why do you want to free spin the engine like that ? An above poster all ready stated that there is a rev limiter while in park.:crazy:

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
kartracer_3 said:
Why do you want to free spin the engine like that ? An above poster all ready stated that there is a rev limiter while in park.:crazy:

To show the delay...alright. ill forget about It.
Ill never Rev and drop in gear. That's really bad on Tranny.....

kartracer_3

Jun 7, 2012
Its really hard on every thing but mainly the wallet.:cool:

I have done a fair amount of reading on here and THE OTHER SITE. PCM forless seems to be the place to go. They, from my understanding will get rid of the rev limiter for you also. Its on my list however I am going to have to have a switch to put it back in stock tuning because after I get done I know someone will want to borrow it. In fact I might make one and call it the kid switch.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
kartracer_3 said:
Its on my list however I am going to have to have a switch to put it back in stock tuning because after I get done I know someone will want to borrow it. In fact I might make one and call it the kid switch.

You will need to have two seperate pcm's. Cant do a "switch" with a pcmforless tune.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
kartracer_3 said:
Its really hard on every thing but mainly the wallet.:cool:

I have done a fair amount of reading on here and THE OTHER SITE. PCM forless seems to be the place to go. They, from my understanding will get rid of the rev limiter for you also. Its on my list however I am going to have to have a switch to put it back in stock tuning because after I get done I know someone will want to borrow it. In fact I might make one and call it the kid switch.

The lady I been talking to at pcmforless said she cant remove the rev limiter, the best they can do is 4krpm.....+/-

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
It should be right here if they use HPTuners... oh and a correction is needed, 5100 rpm is the correct "not moving" limiter for 2004 w/ I6

[
IHQ2y.png

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
kartracer_3 said:

Um, running the engine up to the rev limiter isn't the concern... It can be done for testing purposes like he was going to do. Occassional and incidental isn't going to hurt much, just don't bounce off the limiter for too long... It's the neutral drops that will cause more problems.

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
marshall@pcm said:
That's exactly the place to change it, but it just doesn't seem to take effect when we do it with HPTuners. :sadcry:

The governor can be eliminated right ? It sucks when it cuts off at 105mph....

Ghost

Original poster
Jun 1, 2012
the roadie said:
....which you discovered on the track......right? :confused:

Yes siree

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
Mine is "disabled"... In fact, all 3 of my obd2 vehicles have no limiter... It can't be fully disabled, but set at a high enough value to where you will run out of gearing before the limit is reached.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.