What if the frame is bent?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I'm looking at a TB SS that is wrecked, it's at auction. I don't know if I want to bid on it because I'm not sure if the frame has been bent in the collision. I'd show pictures but I'm worried someone here will try to bid me up or out bid me if they recognize the truck lol The front end is smashed up, will need a new front bumper, and drivers headlight and drivers brake light, front quarter panel and probably a rear quarter panel. All the damage is done to the drivers side. I got a picture of the engine bay and it all looks in place, nothing has been moved or dented. It runs and drives although it's not in legal shape to do so. It's an 06 with 86k miles.

I'm having someone go look at it for me, but what things do I need to know or have him look at when inspecting the truck? What questions should I ask?

The sale ends at noon on the 10th of this month. Should I still bid on it even though the frame might be bent, and how much would I be looking at to have the frame fixed if it is bent? No one has bid on it yet.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Maybe it is just the angle the picture is taken from, but in pix #2 & #3, the rear wheel looks like it is sticking out farther on the pass. side.
Other than that, it looks repairable.
Is it being sold with a clear title? Or a salvage/scrap title?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Wooluf1952 said:
Maybe it is just the angle the picture is taken from, but in pix #2 & #3, the rear wheel looks like it is sticking out farther on the pass. side.
Other than that, it looks repairable.
Is it being sold with a clear title? Or a salvage/scrap title?

I noticed that too, I'm having my dad go look at it for me as he is extremely mechanically inclined, and I trust his opinion a lot on these things. It will be sold as is with a salvaged title. It does run and does drive. I have never done a car auction before, but maybe I can call the lot and ask for more info on it's condition? I don't know though lol.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Yep, rear end may have been shoved over. Also, please note the big gap between the passenger front door edge and the fender.....looks like whole front end is shoved over too.

Unless you have a VERY experienced body/frame person look at the vehicle and say it's easily fixable, I'd pass.....there's a lot of work there, IMO. Why do you think it's at an auction????

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
MacMan said:
Yep, rear end may have been shoved over. Also, please note the big gap between the passenger front door edge and the fender.....looks like whole front end is shoved over too.

Unless you have a VERY experienced body/frame person look at the vehicle and say it's easily fixable, I'd pass.....there's a lot of work there, IMO. Why do you think it's at an auction????

The insurance company totaled it out. My dad has purchased most of his vehicles from auction, and only one car had an issue which was an easy fix(new fender). I have nothing against buying from auctions and putting a little work into a car, especially since I can get it for $60.00 bucks. It is a pure sale, no reserve and the min bid is $60 and no one has bid on it before. For $60.00 bucks I think it would be worth fixing if the frame isn't to bad off of course.

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Well, if you can get it for $60, the engine and wheels can be sold for WAY more than that. But like I said above, get a GOOD frame/body person to look it over if all you want to do is try to fix it.

Remember......there's a reason no one is bidding on it. I work at a BIG auto auction house here in NY....been there, seen that.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
MacMan said:
Well, if you can get it for $60, the engine and wheels can be sold for WAY more than that. But like I said above, get a GOOD frame/body person to look it over if all you want to do is try to fix it.

Remember......there's a reason no one is bidding on it. I work at a BIG auto auction house here in NY....been there, seen that.

I completely understand, that's why I posted this lol I'm willing to take a risk for cheap. If it can't be fixed then I can part it out and make a little profit off it, and try to find an SS at auction that can be salvaged.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
A bent frame isn't the end all of a vehicles life....that's why we have frame machines in body shops. :thumbsup:

My initial thoughts are, the frame doesn't look bent, but as mentioned above, for there to be damage to the passenger side fender like that, the front end is likely swung over. Like I said, it's not the worst thing in the world to have frame damage. Pulling side sway out usually isn't too bad, and any reputable shop with a good measuring system (to get the frame w/in factory specs again) should be able to straighten it around for you.

I'd be more concerned with the rest of the body damage to be honest, there's a lot going on there. lol But, for as cheap as it sounds like you could get it, I'd absolutely pull the trigger and see what happens when the dust settles. :cool:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Buy it for $60 and I will give you $250 cash and come pick it up. :biggrin:

You would be amazed at the wrecks I have seen fixed. Bent frame is no longer an issue with some of the body shop methods. Is it right these people sell these cars as if nothing happens, No. However for personal use I have no issue, Uncles friend has 3 Mustang Cobra's he bought that where either rolled, hit things at a high rate of speed or just over all screwed, he made them look new. That is unibody, a frame is a different animal however.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
JosueLT said:
A bent frame isn't the end all of a vehicles life....that's why we have frame machines in body shops. :thumbsup:

My initial thoughts are, the frame doesn't look bent, but as mentioned above, for there to be damage to the passenger side fender like that, the front end is likely swung over. Like I said, it's not the worst thing in the world to have frame damage. Pulling side sway out usually isn't too bad, and any reputable shop with a good measuring system (to get the frame w/in factory specs again) should be able to straighten it around for you.

I'd be more concerned with the rest of the body damage to be honest, there's a lot going on there. lol But, for as cheap as it sounds like you could get it, I'd absolutely pull the trigger and see what happens when the dust settles. :cool:

Thanks Josue!! I have seen some of your work and appreciate your advice and opinion. I LOVE to wrench on vehicles, so the challenge would be welcomed, which is why I decided to look at an auction vehicle in the first place lol. That and I could NEVER afford payments on an SS, no until my kids are all grown and quit sucking the life out of my wallet :wink:

In your opinion, how much would you charge to fix the frame if there is damage like it appears? The body work, yeah it's a hot mess no doubt. But it's nothing I would rush to do, if it takes a year or two to complete...then so be it. It will give me the chance to learn as I go. And appreciate the work I put into it. IF I decide to do it. I'm waiting for my dad to go check it out sometime this week. He has a vehicle inspector going out there with him for back up so he doesn't miss anything.

Blazin- If I buy it, it's staying in my garage lol I want an SS so badly I have dreams about it, it's pathetic but it's true. And I will get one, whether it's this POS or a different POS. If the motor in that thing is still good, I could sell that alone for 2-3k and put the rims on the envoy :smile:

jsprewell

Dec 6, 2011
$60?

Shit, for that I would say screw repairing the SS and start salvaging parts for my Envoy... Wheels, engine, etc..

Me007gold

Nov 20, 2011
Considering the TB is a 3SS with nav/leather and all of the other goodies, if worse comes to worse you could swap all the goodies over to your ride. and sell what you dont use, and yes I found the car but dont worry I have no interest in it.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Me007gold said:
Considering the TB is a 3SS with nav/leather and all of the other goodies, if worse comes to worse you could swap all the goodies over to your ride. and sell what you dont use, and yes I found the car but dont worry I have no interest in it.

Thanks! I didn't think of that. And thanks again for having no interest in it lol I'm really considering this truck as an addition to the GMT family. That way my little Phantom doesn't have to sit a lone in the driveway, even if his new girlfriend needs a bit of cosmetic surgery :lipsrsealed:

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
Thanks Josue!! I have seen some of your work and appreciate your advice and opinion. I LOVE to wrench on vehicles, so the challenge would be welcomed, which is why I decided to look at an auction vehicle in the first place lol. That and I could NEVER afford payments on an SS, no until my kids are all grown and quit sucking the life out of my wallet :wink:

In your opinion, how much would you charge to fix the frame if there is damage like it appears? The body work, yeah it's a hot mess no doubt. But it's nothing I would rush to do, if it takes a year or two to complete...then so be it. It will give me the chance to learn as I go. And appreciate the work I put into it. IF I decide to do it. I'm waiting for my dad to go check it out sometime this week. He has a vehicle inspector going out there with him for back up so he doesn't miss anything.

Well, it's really a different kind of "wrenching" involved. It's not as simple as turning bolts and replacing parts like doing mechanical work. Although, sure...some parts are simply bolted on, so I'm sure you'd be fine there. The rest though, is a LOT of welding, body filler work, getting gaps right, paint work, etc., which takes years to become proficient at. I applaud your effort(s) though! Everybody's gotta start somewhere, so nothing like a dirt cheap project to get the ball rolling!

If you followed my thread, me putting the passenger side quarter panel on that 97-X would be the EXACT same steps you'd have to take to fix the back on that thing. You could almost use it as a how-to! hahaha And even the 2 Trailblazer front hits I did in that thread will give you a good idea of the sheetmetal work needed up front.

I can't remember off hand because it varies between insurance companies, but I think our average frame labor rate is $48/hr, and shop rate is $44/hr. If a car is hit hard enough to require setting it up on a frame machine and measuring it out with the computer, then we get 2 hrs at the shop rate to do those 2 tasks. The task of actually straightening the frame out is under frame labor. It may be swayed over, but I don't think it's MASHED over or anything hard like that, so probably around 3hrs frame labor. (every estimate will be different though, as how much to charge is completely objective) So, $232 total, plus tax and whatnot.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
JosueLT said:
Well, it's really a different kind of "wrenching" involved. It's not as simple as turning bolts and replacing parts like doing mechanical work. Although, sure...some parts are simply bolted on, so I'm sure you'd be fine there. The rest though, is a LOT of welding, body filler work, getting gaps right, paint work, etc., which takes years to become proficient at. I applaud your effort(s) though! Everybody's gotta start somewhere, so nothing like a dirt cheap project to get the ball rolling!

If you followed my thread, me putting the passenger side quarter panel on that 97-X would be the EXACT same steps you'd have to take to fix the back on that thing. You could almost use it as a how-to! hahaha And even the 2 Trailblazer front hits I did in that thread will give you a good idea of the sheetmetal work needed up front.

I can't remember off hand because it varies between insurance companies, but I think our average frame labor rate is $48/hr, and shop rate is $44/hr. If a car is hit hard enough to require setting it up on a frame machine and measuring it out with the computer, then we get 2 hrs at the shop rate to do those 2 tasks. The task of actually straightening the frame out is under frame labor. It may be swayed over, but I don't think it's MASHED over or anything hard like that, so probably around 3hrs frame labor. (every estimate will be different though, as how much to charge is completely objective) So, $232 total, plus tax and whatnot.

Thats not bad at all! I was thinking in the thousand dollar range. I have all the equipment for welding but it's not mine lol it's a friends of the hubby's and he has restored vehicles that had a complete inside and out burn...so we would have help in that area. I understand it's a lot of work, probably more than what some people would want to deal with, but people do these things to classic cars all the time, why not to a TB SS? It may not be the best vehicle to start learning on, but I'm known for never doing things the easy way anyways. It isn't far from you, if I do end up getting it, could we roll out some numbers maybe as far as having the frame dealt with if it's needed? I would have my dad deliver it to your place. He travels all the time for work.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
Voymom said:
Thats not bad at all! I was thinking in the thousand dollar range. I have all the equipment for welding but it's not mine lol it's a friends of the hubby's and he has restored vehicles that had a complete inside and out burn...so we would have help in that area. I understand it's a lot of work, probably more than what some people would want to deal with, but people do these things to classic cars all the time, why not to a TB SS? It may not be the best vehicle to start learning on, but I'm known for never doing things the easy way anyways. It isn't far from you, if I do end up getting it, could we roll out some numbers maybe as far as having the frame dealt with if it's needed? I would have my dad deliver it to your place. He travels all the time for work.

Like I said, for a ridiculously low price like that, it'd be a no brainer IMO. I could probably fix it myself, and have a $10,000+ vehicle for $5000. It might cost you a little more, but you'd still come out on top! And it'd be paid for, so you could mod the hell out of it at will! haha

We could do that if you wanted, my only concern would be, what if the frame isn't damaged? That would be a LONG trip and waste of time/money to find out there was nothing wrong with the frame. :rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
JosueLT said:
Like I said, for a ridiculously low price like that, it'd be a no brainer IMO. I could probably fix it myself, and have a $10,000+ vehicle for $5000. It might cost you a little more, but you'd still come out on top! And it'd be paid for, so you could mod the hell out of it at will! haha

We could do that if you wanted, my only concern would be, what if the frame isn't damaged? That would be a LONG trip and waste of time/money to find out there was nothing wrong with the frame. :rotfl:

Well I'm hoping my dad and an inspector can tell me if the frame is in need of work. If it does then the trip wouldn't be a waste. Hell My dad travels down to Alabama for work all the time and lives in MI lol Talk about miles on a truck. He is never not traveling as he is a communications engineer. If the frame isn't bent or needing work, I'm going to need to make a trip up there to tow it back here to Iowa.

If it does need frame work I could let you know, and maybe get a date to bring it down there. I need a vacation anyways :biggrin:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
*nudge*

If you part it out, I want dibs on the front bumper and all it's little bits. :biggrin:

:thumbsup:

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
Voymom said:
Well I'm hoping my dad and an inspector can tell me if the frame is in need of work. If it does then the trip wouldn't be a waste. Hell My dad travels down to Alabama for work all the time and lives in MI lol Talk about miles on a truck. He is never not traveling as he is a communications engineer. If the frame isn't bent or needing work, I'm going to need to make a trip up there to tow it back here to Iowa.

If it does need frame work I could let you know, and maybe get a date to bring it down there. I need a vacation anyways :biggrin:

For $60 all I see is many dollar signs. I say buy and run with it like ya stole it! :yes:

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
for $60 your going to get outbid BY ME and thats not a joke :undecided:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:

That's nice. I might as well not even bother then.

But then again you have to have a bidders license to bid on it too.....

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
You have no idea what you can get in St.Louis in about 30 minutes :rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:

Yeah well I will remember that.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I was just joking voymom. It would cost me about 1k in gas and trailer to get something from that area. I am waiting for one to appear in the local salvage yards, but the only wrecked ones I have seen have been in peoples yards.

I would say get it anyways if you can, even for $2k it would be a steal. Good luck.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
If it sells for under $70 you can sell the engine cover and almost make your money back.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I was just joking voymom. It would cost me about 1k in gas and trailer to get something from that area. I am waiting for one to appear in the local salvage yards, but the only wrecked ones I have seen have been in peoples yards.

I would say get it anyways if you can, even for $2k it would be a steal. Good luck.

It's okay, apparently that's not going to happen anyways. I should have known better to trust some people here. I called my dad and told him not to bother going out there. I'll find one eventually, and if it's one I part out I know who I will sell the parts to and who I won't :biggrin:

I know one thing's for sure. I won't be posting anymore if I do find one somewhere lol

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Me007gold said:
No you dont, you can just register on the site and bid.

They must have changed it then for up there. Because I had to get a bidders license last year for that state. Not every state required one, like Iowa doesn't, but last year when I was looking for one and found one in MI I had to get a bidders license, which I still hold.

But...since I will be out bid on it, I will bid just to jump the price up to an outrageous amount :biggrin:

If they want the truck, their going to pay for it.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Voymom said:
They must have changed it then for up there. Because I had to get a bidders license last year for that state. Not every state required one, like Iowa doesn't, but last year when I was looking for one and found one in MI I had to get a bidders license, which I still hold.

But...since I will be out bid on it, I will bid just to jump the price up to an outrageous amount :biggrin:

If they want the truck, their going to pay for it.

Storage Wars???

IF you don't get it wasn't meant to be. I always tell myself that when something I expect, want, etc doesn't happen. Then I wait and usually it works out for the better.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
Storage Wars???

IF you don't get it wasn't meant to be. I always tell myself that when something I expect, want, etc doesn't happen. Then I wait and usually it works out for the better.

I totally agree. That doesn't mean that I can't make the other bidder pay more for it than what it's worth lol

I just hope they have over 5k cash to spend. Because even if I end up buying it for that much, I'll still end up on top because I won! :biggrin:

At that rate, if I did spend that much on it, I'll part it out to get my money back.

And why don't you go knock on the doors of the wrecked ones? You never know what kind of deal you could get. I wouldn't bat an eyelash if I seen a wrecked one in someones yard, I'd be knocking their door down lol

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Are you still thinking on making your XL into a SS? That's alot of parts for $60.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
gmcman said:
Are you still thinking on making your XL into a SS? That's alot of parts for $60.

Thats the whole point....I would make WAY MORE than $60.00 off all the parts. None of which would go into my voy btw. I am not looking to change the envoy into an SS, I'm looking at buying and keeping an SS as an SS for a DD.

But I'm no longer going to bid on it to buy it. I'm more or less going to bid on it out of bitch mode. :biggrin:

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
Damn I can't believe that. Some people are straight up conniving greedy selfish assholes. She was looking for help and info, not to give someone else a lead on a good deal.

Voymom.. I hope you still consider getting it, or making it costly for someone else to buy it from under you.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Tarnished said:
Damn I can't believe that. Some people are straight up conniving greedy selfish assholes. She was looking for help and info, not to give someone else a lead on a good deal.

Voymom.. I hope you still consider getting it, or making it costly for someone else to buy it from under you.

LOL Thanks Tarnished. I will either pay an ass load for it, or the bid winner will be paying an ass load for it, either way I win. I'm not going to let someone piss in my cheerios and get away with it. I would NEVER step on toes in a situation like this with anyone here. But I guess some people have a long way to go before they understand the meaning of respect, and burning bridges. But either way it's all good, that SS isn't the only SS out there that some idiot wrecked hot rodding it. Who knows, he buys the junked out SS from under me, he could wreck his SS and be left without one...That's Karma for ya!

jayd1563

Nov 18, 2011
Tarnished said:

dude i was thinkng the same thing as i got to the end of this thread..WTF is wrong with some people,,shit like that pisses me off....voymom you should still bid on it!!,,i hope you get it:yes:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
STLtrailbSS said:

Well that's a nice jerk move.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Yes I will steal the SS and then run to my Illegal Auction License Dealer to make things legit, That was a misunderstanding because I didn't use super duper purple. Settle Down Tough Guys....Voymom My bad I'm not taking your auction never had intention
STLtrailbSS said:

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
Did this thread just go sideways?! :confused:

I'm not getting my bumper bits anymore?!?! :hissyfit:

Voymom... Lesson learned? Kenney Rogers said it best:

"You gotta know when to hold em..." :frown:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member