What Halogen H1 bulbs are best?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Got these Spec -D Projector lights which have proven to be Halogen, not HID friendly.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016RXENDI/?tag=gmtnation-20

Tryed to use a 5000K 35 watt HID low beam kit with the H1 bulbs these take and have a shadow I can not seem to get rid of. Only on drivers side. Swapped bulbs and still there. Got a bit less with swap, but still there. See below for shadow pics.

After researching and finally finding a thread with the info on these not being HID projectors
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/hid-faq-guide.551/page-6#post-428213

I know these projectors just are not up to snuff for HID. So now I am in search of the best H1 halogen for these projectors since I do not think they will benefit from LED either.

I am leaning toward some Hella bulbs I found and know people with jeeps like, but would a 70 watt halogen be too much?

Anyone have something I should look at in the halogen realm. I tried Silverstars before and they were junk. Saw Night Breaker w good review but quadruple price.

I would like to be about 4500-5000K temp.
I would like to not worry about melting wires.
I will be selling some H1 HID or using them for highs :wink:

Any help is appreciated!

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
The options that I have seen mentioned on HIDP for guys who do halogen retros with great output results is Osram Nighbreaker Unlimted, Philips X-Treme Vision, and Osram Silverstar 2.0 (not the Sylvania version).

The Nightbreakers are the brightest and project light the furthest from what I have read from those that have done comparisons. All three options are 55w which should provide plenty of light. These halogens are built for lighting performance and not color. They are around 4000k in color.

Nightbreakers
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GPJPBBI/?tag=gmtnation-20

Philips
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWTQOE/ref=pd_sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51MetrcpHoL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=1KC7G8KK6CXGF2YWJ4GE

Silverstar 2.0
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BA8R1XA/?tag=gmtnation-20

If you are looking for the 5000k color, Philips Diamond Vision is advertised at 5000k, but they are achieving this color by the blue coating on the bulb which will give the color, but in turn reduce the lumen output. Also 55w.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OYVMSO/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Thanks!

I had just about pulled the trigger on the NightBreaker Unlimited. 4000K is plenty really. I just dont want the yellow side of light spectrum. I think I will try a pair. The reviews are great and price is really not bad at all.

Not sure if i do the same bulbs in the highs or move the HID over even though its not a projector since I have the quad beams. Or if I try a set of the Hella for a comparison.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
For being an Osram product, the price was great. Also, forgot to mention the lumen output is around 1800. The Philips that are the 5000k are only around 1400 lumens due to the blue coating on the glass of the bulb.

Since you already have the H1 HID kit, you could always use the HID in the high beams. Since you have the quad headlight mod done, warm up time would not be a major issue. Save you a few bucks.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I will give it a whirl. I have 4 full HID setup now and some spare bulbs. Two H1, a 9005, and a 9006. Be nice to at least use one.

NightBreakers are only coming from Chicago and already got a shipped notice, so hopefully I can get things done this weekend before or after Hatchets wedding

Reactions: dmanns67

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I do not mean to thread jack, but I did not think there was a need to start a new thread. Which bulb should I use in my 04 with OEM headlight housings?

Forgive me for this.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I do not mean to thread jack, but I did not think there was a need to start a new thread. Which bulb should I use in my 04 with OEM headlight housings?

Forgive me for this.

9006 low beam 9005 high beam

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
FYI-- The Nightbreakers are nice compared to standard halogen. Not an HID, but plenty respectable. I however think i found my real issue and will likely try HID in lows and move the nightbreaker to high beams. However I thank yall for the input and would definitely buy the Nightbreaker for all halogen needs compared to the stock or silverstars i have had in the past.

Reactions: xavierny25

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
FYI-- The Nightbreakers are nice compared to standard halogen. Not an HID, but plenty respectable. I however think i found my real issue and will likely try HID in lows and move the nightbreaker to high beams. However I thank yall for the input and would definitely buy the Nightbreaker for all halogen needs compared to the stock or silverstars i have had in the past.

Did you by any chance take any output pics with the nightbreakers in the projectors? I have never seen any run halogens in these projectors, only HIDs. Just to see how big of a difference there is.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I will get you some NightBreaker pics since they are back in there after trying the HID again. swapped in HID and seated em right in. Both sides. Turn on and BAM I got a big round dark spot in both. Right in center upper part of the pattern. Mother F'er. Try wiggling and reseating and such with the bulbs, but to no avail. I slapped the night breakers back in and no dead spots, just a mildly yellower full light output. No high or dim spots, just clean light.

So I will find a good spot soon and finalize my aim and grab some pics.

Reactions: dmanns67

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
I got the nightbreakers thanks to the suggestions in here and I am not disappointed.
Thanks for the suggestions!

*edit*
here is a photo with the nightbreakers and the JDM switchbacks.

16ece44f-ab8b-430c-a373-a32441b87096_zpsrgmk052p.jpg

It was raining and this was taken with a cellphone during that time. Either way, it looks incredible and the light output from these nightbreakers is awesome over the "oem" bulbs (turns out there were 2 different bulbs in the headlights...) HOW do you have 2 different bulbs when they sell them in pairs?! LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: RTTBLT1

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I got the nightbreakers thanks to the suggestions in here and I am not disappointed.
Thanks for the suggestions!

*edit*
here is a photo with the nightbreakers and the JDM switchbacks.

16ece44f-ab8b-430c-a373-a32441b87096_zpsrgmk052p.jpg

It was raining and this was taken with a cellphone during that time. Either way, it looks incredible and the light output from these nightbreakers is awesome over the "oem" bulbs (turns out there were 2 different bulbs in the headlights...) HOW do you have 2 different bulbs when they sell them in pairs?! LOL

Nice, i like the way that looks :yes:...

Looks like I found the Headlight Bulbs I will be getting.

Did you replace the High Beam Bulbs with the same ones?

And in person, do the Switchbacks and Night breakers have the same White/Clear output?...the pictures sure make them look spot on or very very close...

Reactions: richphotos

richphotos

Feb 26, 2016
St. Louis Park, MN
Nice, i like the way that looks :yes:...

Looks like I found the Headlight Bulbs I will be getting.

Did you replace the High Beam Bulbs with the same ones?

And in person, do the Switchbacks and Night breakers have the same White/Clear output?...the pictures sure make them look spot on or very very close...
They are close. The night breakers are a bit more yellow. Its able to be seen in the photo if you look closely.
But overall, they are pretty close. I would say the nightbreaker is 4000k and the JDM switchback is around 5000k... close enough for me I would think with out having to blind people with HIDS.

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
They are close. The night breakers are a bit more yellow. Its able to be seen in the photo if you look closely.
But overall, they are pretty close. I would say the nightbreaker is 4000k and the JDM switchback is around 5000k... close enough for me I would think with out having to blind people with HIDS.

I hear ya about blinding drivers. This is why I have been putting off getting better Headlight Bulbs. With the factory Bulbs, I get drivers that slow down in front of me or flash High Beams while passing cause I guess they can't see???...not sure cause there not bright and the Headlight Aim seems to be correct...??? Maybe cause it sits up higher???...or I'm just finding the drivers with bad eyes/vision.

But I'm getting those Bulbs, drivers will have to get over it or get off the road, lol.

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
If you don't mind me asking...where did you get the Nightbreaker Bulbs?

I looked on Rockauto and seen Nighthawk, Nighthawk Platinum and Nighthawk Sport but didn't see the Nightbreakers.

EDIT: also if you haven't already, you should consider doing the Quad Beam Headlight Mod. One of the members sales the Mod for real cheap and he is a good guy.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I got my NightBreaker on Ebay cheapest, but I use H1 in the lights i am running so you may do better on Amazon for stock replacement. But both had them available.

I would say 4000K ius correct. Not the clean white of the 5000K I used to run in HID, but good usable light with the Nightbreaker for sure.

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
I got my NightBreaker on Ebay cheapest, but I use H1 in the lights i am running so you may do better on Amazon for stock replacement. But both had them available.

I would say 4000K ius correct. Not the clean white of the 5000K I used to run in HID, but good usable light with the Nightbreaker for sure.

Ok, thank you for the info @HARDTRAILZ.

So the Bulbs @richphotos purchased and installed must have been a Nightbreaker in the 9006 style since he has the stock Headlight Assembly.

Or am I missing something?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I would assume so since those are the stock bulbs.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Ha...So the H1 are just cheaper. Good to know.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
$37 to $38 is about the average price for the 9006 based Night breakers if you buy from a US seller. If you want to wait for the item to come from overseas, there are some that are $15 to $20. Amazon and EBay are all about the same.

Jaybird20

May 11, 2020
Acushnet
Got these Spec -D Projector lights which have proven to be Halogen, not HID friendly.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016RXENDI/?tag=gmtnation-20

Tryed to use a 5000K 35 watt HID low beam kit with the H1 bulbs these take and have a shadow I can not seem to get rid of. Only on drivers side. Swapped bulbs and still there. Got a bit less with swap, but still there. See below for shadow pics.

After researching and finally finding a thread with the info on these not being HID projectors
http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/hid-faq-guide.551/page-6#post-428213

I know these projectors just are not up to snuff for HID. So now I am in search of the best H1 halogen for these projectors since I do not think they will benefit from LED either.

I am leaning toward some Hella bulbs I found and know people with jeeps like, but would a 70 watt halogen be too much?

Anyone have something I should look at in the halogen realm. I tried Silverstars before and they were junk. Saw Night Breaker w good review but quadruple price.

I would like to be about 4500-5000K temp.
I would like to not worry about melting wires.
I will be selling some H1 HID or using them for highs :wink:

Any help is appreciated!

I recently replaced my head lamps with the same spec D projectors light. Like you I want to upgrade the bulbs. Are you still using the same bulbs that you decided to use initially in this thread?

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I actually took the lights out cause I never found anything decent to work in them. Been playing with some LED bulbs but found the wiring showed signs of burning from previous use even without raising wattage. If you can...return these honestly. I play with them cause I have $50 in them. Not afraid to drill holes in them to make BS hold downs n such to stick LED in them. Sadly i thought I had something until the high beam would not trun on and found the wiring. Tossed em on shelf but may be will try one more time. I currently am back to stock style replacement headlight housings.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.