What Grease Should I use? (Swaybar Bushings & Door Hinges)

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Unrelated except for the fact that I need both.

First those doors. Those squeaky, squeaky doors. Whats best to use? I could just use WD-40 like everyone always does. And it would surely work for a while. But should I use a grease instead? Or bacon fat? Or some other lubricant?

Same goes for my swaybar bushings. I got aftermarket ones a few years ago but after a year or so, they start to squeal and I have to take them off and grease them up. What's the best grease to use for that? My bushings are the Hotchkis bushings, front and rear, black.

Here's what I have for grease:
I've got a big tube of marine/trailer bearing grease
I have a tube of grease suitable for brake slides, I think it was a multipurpose that specifically said calipers too.
I have some slickoleum for my mountain bike but its a TINY tube and it's expensive so I'd rather not.
I have some old general purpose MTB grease.
And of course I have plenty of WD-40.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: christo829 and Matt

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
So I did the front swaybar bushings tonight. I used the trailer grease I had, I'm pretty sure that's what I've been using. It all went fine and it's nice and smooth and quiet now.

But.

There has to be an easier way? It's a pain in the ass taking these things off, and the grease dries out every year. I like how much these bushings improve the handling but what a pain in the balls it is to grease them up.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Maybe drill a hole through the metal bracket and into the bushing so you can add a zerk fitting. To help distribute the grease, maybe cut a groove inside the bushing all around.

Reactions: Redbeard

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Or one can get the thermoplastic bushings, sold under NAPA, Moog and AC Delco brand names. They should NOT be lubed and don't require it. They are the ones that are blue in color. Rubber and polyurethane bushings do require lube.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnnnyj

Members Online