What GMOS adapter to buy?

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Um, so I messed up and I need help please.

I bought a Kenwood DDX-514 double din head unit. It came with the Kenwood GNA-K510 SatNav unit as well.
I read the manual pretty good, so I thought I knew what parts to buy.

I recently purchased and received from Sonic Electronix the following;
- Kenwood KCA-BT300 (Bluetooth module)
- Axxess ASWC (Steering Wheel controls)
- Metra GMOS-014 (it does Rear seat Entertainment)

My problem is the GMOS-14 unit. Although it does rear Seat Entertainment, it doesn't do the Bose amp.
Here is the Manufacturers LINK.

Metra also has the GMOS-04 unit HERE that does do the BOSE amp, but it lacks several of the features that the GMOS-014 unit has.

I really liked the 014 unit because of the following extras the 04 unit doesn't have;
- reverse signal
- speed sense
- rear seat entertainment - is a must, the kids would shoot me without it.

So now I'm in a pickle. We have another GMT Nation meet coming up in three weekends, and I don't have a proper GMOS unit for the install of my headunit.
I need to find a suitable GMOS unit and buy it this weekend so I'll possibly have it in three weeks for the meet.

I wish the Metra webpage had a handy comparison chart to tell people what unit to buy if they want what ever features they want.
I want RSE and BOSE Amp.

Please, please, please tell me what GMOS unit I should be buying.

MMIN

Feb 26, 2012
Did you try the GMOS-014 unit? I'll admit we don't use that peice often because of the high cost, but it should work on both amplified and non-amplified cars.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I Googled the GMOS-14 and found this in their question and answer
* Axxess Gmos-14 Gm New Car Radio Interface Adapter - AXXESS - GMOS-014

Q: i was wondering if this would allow bose system to work also, im trying to not use the gmos-04, and only use this. i would like to keep rear entertainment system and my bose, onstar etc
Asked on 04-01-2011 by jeremiah
>> 1 Answers

Answered by AutoToys Staff
A: This is Bose compatible.

So go for it. It should work.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Oh boy... I don't know how to then.

The GMOS-04 kit has RCA plugs to which I presumed are for the BOSE amp.
Pic Here;
GMOS-04.jpg

The GMOS-014 kit doesn't have the same RCA plugs, just the ones for RSE.
Pic Here;
GMOS-014.jpg

And most important the instructions don't mention the use of a BOSE amp.
The Instructions want me to hook up the speaker wires directly to the speaker output of the HU. I thought I needed to use RCA plugs for the Amp.

Connect the white wire to the left front positive
speaker output of the aftermarket radio
Connect the white/black wire to the left front nega-*
tive speaker output of the aftermarket radio
Connect the gray wire to the right front positive
Connect the gray/black wire to the right front nega-*
Connect the green wire to the left rear positive
Connect the green/black wire to the left rear nega-*
Connect the purple wire to the right rear positive
Connect the purple/black wire to the right rear
negative speaker output of the aftermarket radio

Here is a LINK to the instructions for the GMOS-014.

If the 014 kit does do the BOSE Amp, please let me know how! :thumbsup:

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for the help guys!

I spent the day playing with the spagetthi mess of wires.
I got most things working.

- SatNav
- Bluetooth
- USB
- BOSE Amp
- Door Chimes
- Onstar
- Steering Wheel controls
It all works ok so far.

I am missing the RSE RCA to mini plug adapter and I forgot to buy the antenae adapter.
And it occured to me that I forgot to buy the XM radio adapter for it too.

The million dollar answer to my question is YES, the GMOS-014 does work with the Bose Amp.
I just took my time and did up the wiring of everything on my kitchen table before transfering it to my truck.
I just went slow and read up on all the various instructions from the kits.

Thanks for your help GMT Nation! :thumbsup:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
06Envoy said:
The million dollar answer to my question is YES, the GMOS-014 does work with the Bose Amp.

BOSS! Thanks for the update!:cool:

flashman03

Mar 29, 2012
I am surprised nobody uses PAC audio for the interface. I didn't have any luck with the GMOS. Glad it works!

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
flashman03 said:
I am surprised nobody uses PAC audio for the interface. I didn't have any luck with the GMOS. Glad it works!

From what I read on google the metra ASWC is much more straight forward than PAC.

I got the ASWC but havent installed yet, got stuck on the chimes because of the wrong adapter. Who knows if I'll get to that ever lol

flashman03

Mar 29, 2012
fadyasha said:
From what I read on google the metra ASWC is much more straight forward than PAC.

I got the ASWC but havent installed yet, got stuck on the chimes because of the wrong adapter. Who knows if I'll get to that ever lol

My pac was completely straight forward. Much easier then the gmos. Dont know about the metra.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
When I was researching these adapters for my Bose setup, I found that the PAC's were more expensive. My only problem with them is that this will be my second GMOS-04 as the first one died during my first alternator replacement. Maybe the battery reconnection surge killed it, I don't know. At least my second one will be easier since everything is already hooked up.

Glad it went well :thumbsup:

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
We'll I'm late to the party, but I've had the GMOS-014 installed for about 8 months and have had no problems other than no Onstar, but I don't subscribe so I don't care. My HU (see sig) with the Bose system sounds much better than stock.

Edit:
I just took my time and did up the wiring of everything on my kitchen table before transfering it to my truck.
I just went slow and read up on all the various instructions from the kits.

I did the same thing, soldered everything up beforehand and then installed it. My instructions were older and had some mistakes that confused me, but after a couple of emails to Axxess got it figured out.

flashman03

Mar 29, 2012
Mooseman said:
When I was researching these adapters for my Bose setup, I found that the PAC's were more expensive. My only problem with them is that this will be my second GMOS-04 as the first one died during my first alternator replacement. Maybe the battery reconnection surge killed it, I don't know. At least my second one will be easier since everything is already hooked up.

Glad it went well :thumbsup:

I bought my pac on ebay for $80 shipped. Thought that was reasonable considering the gmos is $100 in stores.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I for my GMOS-04 for $40 shipped from eBay. It was open but unused.

flashman03

Mar 29, 2012
Mooseman said:
I for my GMOS-04 for $40 shipped from eBay. It was open but unused.

But you have purchased two. So it isnt much of a savings. I have read to many negatives about the gmos which is why i went with the pac.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
This PAC vs GMOS debate is a good one.
When I went shopping for parts, I also had to pick between the two.

Here is the criteria that I used to decide;
- Price: While $ is always a concern, in reality I didn't go with whatever product is cheaper because life long experience has taught me that the lowest bidder is the lowest for a reason (usually quality). As long as the price difference between products is not super crazy then I relax about the price.
- Consumer reviews: Why re-invent the wheel? Let the reviews of guys like you and me do the work for you.

Here is my thought process for deciding which one to buy. Warning! Some people may find this to be a cavalier attitude!

I went to SonicElectronix.com, searched for 'steering wheel controls', found THIS page.
I looked at the user reviews; 112 positive reviews for AXXess and 1 negative for PAC.. Easy Peasy! For the steering wheel controls it was going to be Axxess.
I looked at who made the Axxess, it was Metra.
I went to the Metra webpage and looked for the suitable GMOS adapter.
I wanted all of the adapters to be from the same vendor.

Other than my own self induced confusion about the BOSE Amp, my experience with Metra products was awesome! Everything worked the first time with no muss and no fuss. That's how stuff is supposed to work.
For me the extra $ I spent to have everything work out of the box meant more time spent on Easter weekend with my family. Money well spent!

/end_rant

Keep the debate going! All of this info will help someone else to make their mind.

flashman03

Mar 29, 2012
06Envoy said:
This PAC vs GMOS debate is a good one.
When I went shopping for parts, I also had to pick between the two.

Here is the criteria that I used to decide;
- Price: While $ is always a concern, in reality I didn't go with whatever product is cheaper because life long experience has taught me that the lowest bidder is the lowest for a reason (usually quality). As long as the price difference between products is not super crazy then I relax about the price.
- Consumer reviews: Why re-invent the wheel? Let the reviews of guys like you and me do the work for you.

Here is my thought process for deciding which one to buy. Warning! Some people may find this to be a cavalier attitude!

I went to SonicElectronix.com, searched for 'steering wheel controls', found THIS page.
I looked at the user reviews; 112 positive reviews for AXXess and 1 negative for PAC.. Easy Peasy! For the steering wheel controls it was going to be Axxess.
I looked at who made the Axxess, it was Metra.
I went to the Metra webpage and looked for the suitable GMOS adapter.
I wanted all of the adapters to be from the same vendor.

Other than my own self induced confusion about the BOSE Amp, my experience with Metra products was awesome! Everything worked the first time with no muss and no fuss. That's how stuff is supposed to work.
For me the extra $ I spent to have everything work out of the box meant more time spent on Easter weekend with my family. Money well spent!

/end_rant

Keep the debate going! All of this info will help someone else to make their mind.

Not a rant, just that it worked well for you. It may have been my hu that i bought originally that caused my issue but i also tried a scosche. When i got my pioneer and the pac it was perfect. I dont have wheel controls so it wasn't an issue for me to think about. If the gmos would have worked initially I wouldn't be in this discussion. Both are simple plug and play with color coded wires so it comes down to price and potential reliability issues of the gmos.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
flashman03 said:
But you have purchased two. So it isnt much of a savings. I have read to many negatives about the gmos which is why i went with the pac.

True. It could have been me though. It died after I replaced my alternator. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. On top of that, it was already wired for it so just had to swap the box. For the steering controls, I went with a PAC unit that has an infrared transmitter because the HU I have only works with a remote.

dennysemn

Mar 16, 2012
A Best Buy car audio technician is trying to tell me the only way for my head unit to work with this year and model is to bypass the factory amplifier. Does anyone know if the GMOS-014 will work with Bose in my vehicle? Or do you know if the audio wiring changed after 2002?

I'm wondering if it's only because Best Buy does not sell the GMOS-014 that they bypass the Bose?

Head unit is a Jensen VM9424BT with bluetooth, navigation, DVD/CD, backup camera, usb for i-pod and steering wheel control interfaces.

Everything works good except the audio with the GMOS-04:frown:

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
dennysemn said:
A Best Buy car audio technician is trying to tell me the only way for my head unit to work with this year and model is to bypass the factory amplifier. Does anyone know if the GMOS-014 will work with Bose in my vehicle? Or do you know if the audio wiring changed after 2002?

I'm wondering if it's only because Best Buy does not sell the GMOS-014 that they bypass the Bose?

Head unit is a Jensen VM9424BT with bluetooth, navigation, DVD/CD, backup camera, usb for i-pod and steering wheel control interfaces.

Everything works good except the audio with the GMOS-04:frown:

Axxess/Metra says it''ll work so it should be OK.

From the instructions:
APPLICATIONS
OLDSMOBILE
Alero 2001-04
Bravada 2002-04
Intrigue 2002
Silhouette 2000-04

Before I got my JVC, I had that same exact Jensen hooked up to the GMOS-014 and my stock Bose system. The GMOS worked fine but the GPS crapped out on the Jensen.

dennysemn

Mar 16, 2012
Dad-O-Matic said:
Axxess/Metra says it''ll work so it should be OK.

Before I got my JVC, I had that same exact Jensen hooked up to the GMOS-014 and my stock Bose system. The GMOS worked fine but the GPS crapped out on the Jensen.

Thanks, I'll try it then.

The navigation Jensen uses isn't anything to write home about anyway, was it?

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
dennysemn said:
The navigation Jensen uses isn't anything to write home about anyway, was it?

It was okay, the JVC is better. My problem was that the license key got corrupted and Jensen's Customer "Service" really sucked. So Crutchfield refunded my money and I bought the JVC.

You can see my review of the Jensen here, mine is the third one down Jensen VM9424BT Navigation receiver at Crutchfield.com

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
OK which one do I need for a non-Bose, non-onstar vehicle? I have one in my 02 TB right now but it's starting to act up (kept shutting down my radio after a couple minutes today). I need to replace it I guess but now I can't figure out which adapter I need. I feel like an idiot :crazy:

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Sparky said:
OK which one do I need for a non-Bose, non-onstar vehicle? I have one in my 02 TB right now but it's starting to act up (kept shutting down my radio after a couple minutes today). I need to replace it I guess but now I can't figure out which adapter I need. I feel like an idiot :crazy:

That would be the GMRC-02 and dont worry about not knowing. I learned the hard way after buying the wrong adapter twice! Lol! I'm yet to receive it though

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sparky said:

You probably need one that retains the chimes. I have a Scosche I bought but wouldn't work with my Bose. It did work the chimes though as well as RAP. I think I know where it is in my garage if you're interested.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I found it. I currently have the GMRC-01 in my Trailblazer. I wasn't getting very far with the GMRC-02 number, but that pointed me in the right direction anyway.

Part of me wants to take my malfunctioning one apart and see if it is an easy fix or not, like a loose solder joint. But then opening that dash up is a little bit of a nuisance with how large it is, so maybe it might be better to just open the dash once and fix it with a new part...

Texy74

Nov 20, 2011
Ok, what if I don't have the Bose, or OnStar, but I have the RSE, can I still use the GM0S-14?

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
GMRC-02 Specifically Designed for Compatible Vehicles Without Onstar or Factory Amplified System (Bose/Monsoon/etc...) has built in speaker. Use if you have an aftermarket AMP.

GMRC-02 Specifically Designed for Compatible Vehicles Without Onstar or Factory Amplified System (Bose/Monsoon/etc...), uses front left speaker for chimes

GMOS-04 If you have a Factory Amplified System with Onstar

GMOS-01 If you have Onstar but WITHOUT the Factory Amplified System

All adapters Retain the Warning Chimes (i.e. Door Open, Low Fuel etc..) through the Front Left speaker

GMOS-100 Retains the Factory Satellite Radio Bose and Onstar

GMOS-014 Retains the Rear Seat/Flip Down DVD System - Your Rear Seat DVD System (if equipped), Bose and Onstar

jsprewell

Dec 6, 2011
fadyasha said:
GMOS-100 Retains the Factory Satellite Radio Bose and Onstar

GMOS-014 Retains the Rear Seat/Flip Down DVD System - Your Rear Seat DVD System (if equipped), Bose and Onstar

The Metra website says the GMOS-100 is the "complete package" and retains everything the GMOS-014 has plus more.

I'm wondering if anyone has the 100 and if it works. I like that it has the RSE, Steering Wheel controls, etc. (plus backup camera if i wish to ad that mod). Also, Crutchfield has it listed for $125 when I purchase with HU. Everywhere I can find the 014 has it listed between $150-160.

I have 02 Envoy with Onstar/Bose/RSE/etc.

Thanks.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Take this as you want, I just had my SECOND GMOS-04 die on me after having taken the dash apart. I had disconnected the battery and when I put it back together and reconnected the battery, the radio came on without turning the ignition key. And it doesn't power up the BOSE amp. Exactly the same symptoms as my first one after I replaced the alternator.

I just ordered a PAC unit to replace it. Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future . I don't care if I lose the RSE or steering wheel controls. They do have an additional interface for the steering wheel.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
jsprewell said:
The Metra website says the GMOS-100 is the "complete package" and retains everything the GMOS-014 has plus more.

I'm wondering if anyone has the 100 and if it works. I like that it has the RSE, Steering Wheel controls, etc. (plus backup camera if i wish to ad that mod). Also, Crutchfield has it listed for $125 when I purchase with HU. Everywhere I can find the 014 has it listed between $150-160.

I have 02 Envoy with Onstar/Bose/RSE/etc.

Thanks.

If you read the fine print in the install instructions GMOS-100 (page 3, paragraph 4), it says the RSE function is for "GMLAN29 vehicles only", i.e. some 2006 and most 2007 and later GM vehicles.

If you want to keep the RSE, the GMOS-014 is the only one I could find. So far I've had no problem other than the Onstar won't make a sound. I don't subscribe so it doesn't bother me.

jsprewell

Dec 6, 2011
Dad-O-Matic said:
If you read the fine print in the install instructions GMOS-100 (page 3, paragraph 4), it says the RSE function is for "GMLAN29 vehicles only", i.e. some 2006 and most 2007 and later GM vehicles.

If you want to keep the RSE, the GMOS-014 is the only one I could find. So far I've had no problem other than the Onstar won't make a sound. I don't subscribe so it doesn't bother me.

Found out I don't have RSE. I just a have a separate audio controls thing in the back of the center console for the rear seats. It allows CD/radio controls. So I don't know what I have... I used to have the PAC that ads subs to the bose system, but I went through 3 that didn't work. So I'll try the GMOS first and if I have problems, I'll go with the PAC.

06Envoy

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
jsprewell said:
Found out I don't have RSE. I just a have a separate audio controls thing in the back of the center console for the rear seats. It allows CD/radio controls. So I don't know what I have... I used to have the PAC that ads subs to the bose system, but I went through 3 that didn't work. So I'll try the GMOS first and if I have problems, I'll go with the PAC.

RSE is the dvd player in the roof? Do you have that?

UPDATE to my GMOS014. After a few months a wire came loose producing engine whine in one of my speakers, but a dash teardown and a re-solder job made for a quick repair.
I'm happy to report that all is well, and things have been working great. I couldn't be happier with the setup.

jsprewell

Dec 6, 2011
06Envoy said:
RSE is the dvd player in the roof? Do you have that?

UPDATE to my GMOS014. After a few months a wire came loose producing engine whine in one of my speakers, but a dash teardown and a re-solder job made for a quick repair.
I'm happy to report that all is well, and things have been working great. I couldn't be happier with the setup.

I don't have the DVD player. I have the ac/radio controls in the back of the console.

View attachment 22010

I went ahead and got the GMOS-100. So far everything works except steering wheel controls. I'm sure I wired everything according to directions. One problem is the directions keep saying something about an led on the unit that lights up and blinks to confirm programming... I cannot find this "led" they speak of.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1343229572.962856.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1343229572.962856.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 86

munkae

Apr 17, 2012
jsprewell said:
I don't have the DVD player. I have the ac/radio controls in the back of the console.

View attachment 8230

I went ahead and got the GMOS-100. So far everything works except steering wheel controls. I'm sure I wired everything according to directions. One problem is the directions keep saying something about an led on the unit that lights up and blinks to confirm programming... I cannot find this "led" they speak of.

the led that they speak of is on the aswc module not the gmos. they are seperate modules as far as im aware. i bought the gmos 04 and it has the plug that goes to the steering wheel module to make it plug and play but i still had to buy the aswc seperatly :thumbsup:

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
jsprewell said:
One problem is the directions keep saying something about an led on the unit that lights up and blinks to confirm programming... I cannot find this "led" they speak of.

I'd contact Metra/Axxess. Their instructions can be iffy, mine had some "extra" instructions that conflicted with others. I had to call Metra to get the latest version without the redundant lines.

Those instructions may have been copied from the old ASWC manual, but I'd call Metra to double check. In the photos I see online, it looks like there may be a tiny LED below one of the adjustment pots.

munkae said:
the led that they speak of is on the aswc module not the gmos. they are seperate modules as far as im aware. i bought the gmos 04 and it has the plug that goes to the steering wheel module to make it plug and play but i still had to buy the aswc seperatly :thumbsup:

The GMOS-100 combines the two into one box so you don't have to buy the ASWC separately.

Edit: That's why it costs an arm and 1/2 a leg :eek:

munkae

Apr 17, 2012
Dad-O-Matic said:
I'd contact Metra/Axxess. Their instructions can be iffy, mine had some "extra" instructions that conflicted with others. I had to call Metra to get the latest version without the redundant lines.

Those instructions may have been copied from the old ASWC manual, but I'd call Metra to double check. In the photos I see online, it looks like there may be a tiny LED below one of the adjustment pots.

The GMOS-100 combines the two into one box so you don't have to buy the ASWC separately.

well thats pretty nifty. i also know when i hooked up the aswc it has problems with kenwood decks. so you have to use a resistor to get it to program correctly. make sure you do that. i was getting pissed everytime it said it was conncected to a jvc even though it was a kenwood

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
jsprewell said:

View attachment 8230

On the 03 Envoy the RPO is listed as: UK6 RADIO CONTROL REAR SEAT & EARPHONE JACKS
I emailed Metra inquiring if the GMOS 100 retained the rear seat audio control and was told no.
So you got it to work?
Our grand kids like to listen to "their music". So it's a feature we use. I've got the 6 CD, non-Bose unit - RPO UC6

jsprewell

Dec 6, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
On the 03 Envoy the RPO is listed as: UK6 RADIO CONTROL REAR SEAT & EARPHONE JACKS
I emailed Metra inquiring if the GMOS 100 retained the rear seat audio control and was told no.
So you got it to work?
Our grand kids like to listen to "their music". So it's a feature we use. I've got the 6 CD, non-Bose unit - RPO UC6

No, it's not working. I'm planning on taking apart a cheap portable radio and just wiring it into the rear controls.

tokahao

Dec 9, 2011
Mooseman said:
Take this as you want, I just had my SECOND GMOS-04 die on me after having taken the dash apart. I had disconnected the battery and when I put it back together and reconnected the battery, the radio came on without turning the ignition key. And it doesn't power up the BOSE amp. Exactly the same symptoms as my first one after I replaced the alternator.

I just ordered a PAC unit to replace it. Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future . I don't care if I lose the RSE or steering wheel controls. They do have an additional interface for the steering wheel.

I've had the GMOS-04 installed for the past three years and the problems started right away. The door chimes were nice but full of static and distortion, pre-Amp outs from the HU were too high voltage (Kenwood eXcelon DDX814) which contributed to distorted audio, and just overall poor quality when compared to the stock Bose HU. I ended up wiring the HU speaker outs directly to the harness bypassing the GMOS-04 which sounded much better, but I lost chimes and OnStar... haven't missed either these past years. The GMOS-04 is there for RAP, reverse sensor, and amp power-on--otherwise I'd get rid of it completely.

The past few days things have turned sour. There is a major increase in alternator whine, and RAP function works but doesn't turn off even with the door open. The battery ended up draining completely overnight, the type of drain where you can't pull out the key. I pulled fuse 11 and 41 to kill the amp and radio until I can get Crutchfield to either send me a new GMOS-04 or troubleshoot a fix.

Ideally, I'd cut out the Bose amp, replace the door and dash speakers, and direct wire the Kenwood HU to the doors. I think the GMOS-01 would be appropriate for this... anyone undergo this scenario with hints or suggestions?

-Jay

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online