What exhaust makes the 4.2 sound more like the 6.0

Hatchet

Nov 21, 2011
Cable810 said:
I found that the best sound for the TB is the Gibson Cat Back Exhaust system, search that on youtube. I heard that you get better engine tone if you get/make a CAI. Just my :twocents: Also go to Trailvoy and Search Need Deep tone on I6 and read that.

Ask and you shall receive. This is my truck.

20MPH

WOT

Low Speed

those are ones i took awhile ago. I had gibson catback and K&N CAI

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
If you dont have headphones dont bother its sounds like a bunch of noise on speakers with no bass.

Dad-O-Matic

Dec 5, 2011
I read an article a few years ago, can't remember the magazine (Pop Sci, C&D?), about how all future cars will have electronic mufflers.
Basically a box with a microphone and speakers that the exhaust runs through.
The microphone listens to the exhaust, inverts the signal, and the speaker produces an identical sound that is 180 degrees out of phase from the original exhaust note. The result is virtually no sound with almost no restriction in airflow, thus increasing efficiency/gas mileage.

The cool part was you could "tune" the output to whatever you liked. Want to sound like a Ferrari V12? 426 Hemi? Trailblazer SS? Wraith?

View attachment 18418

Just push a button.

Attachments

• wraith.jpg
    wraith.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 84

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
I6 motors can have a fantastic sound of their own. I've heard planty of 4.0 I6 Jeeps (Cherokees and Wrangers) sounding pretty mean, although I imagine their exhaust systems are pretty minimal.

My Triumph Daytona 955i (I3, so it's half an I6....same balanced cylinder principle) had a beautiful low and semi-booming tone. Inbetween the screaming I4's and lovely V twin Duc's.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
STLtrailbSS said:
If you dont have headphones dont bother its sounds like a bunch of noise on speakers with no bass.

Those vids do a lot better job of capturing the sound, at least to me. The first one works well at idle, a bit of noise when it's revved. The second sounds great.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Someone once told me that the best way to do this is to jack-up the radiator cap and drive a SS under it....just sayin' :biggrin:

CptFrito

Sep 6, 2020
North texas
Okay look, I know that there is a great deal diffrent in the two motors. And I wish I could have a ground shaking smooth exhaust but I just dont think it will happen. I love a good exhaust, as I have the series 44 now. Is there anything out there that is throatier and are their any gains or losses.
I have tried a few different combinations thus far and the closest I've come to makin the i6 sound like a v8 is delete the resonator and replace with 2.5" pipe and have the magnaflow street muffler with a short non resonated exhaust tip, I constantly have people asking if it's a as or what I have under the hood

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online