What does a worn cam phaser sound like?

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Reason I ask, I've been having positive results in dealing with some random tapping, and knocking noises lately, but there's one sound that is somewhat like a deep tick and is fairly constant at cam speed.

It seems to be the only noise left since replacing my exhaust manifold. It sounds like it's at or near the valve cover or top of head.

Just curious if a worn cam phaser has a telltale sound. Almost like a slight lifter tick but with more authority.

Obviously I'm considering skirt wear, carbon knock....but given the mileage (289K) I wanted to ask.

I'll get a video clip later.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
No noise, just codes. I got P1345 twice on mine.

Reactions: mrrsm

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Ok, I wasn't sure if they would even make a noise but thank you. :thumbsup:

Here's the noise I was referring to, seems almost similar to a hammer tapping the camshaft which is why I asked.

Yes, in case anyone else notices....I did see the trans dipstick being slightly extended.

I will update my other thread on the top end noise as well with a longer video.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Wow... This is like Yogi Berra's (Uhhh... A Catcher for the New York Yankees -1940s-1950s) famous old sayings like "And they Give You Cash... Which is JUST as Good as MONEY!"...and more appropriately here...:

'It's like Deja Vu... All Over Again...'

You should visit @Blckshdw 's latest {SOLVED!} Post... You'll get the idea:

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Wow... This is like Yogi Berra's (Uhhh... A Catcher for the New York Yankees -1940s-1950s) famous old sayings like "And they Give You Cash... Which is JUST as Good as MONEY!"...and more appropriately here...:

'It's like Deja Vu... All Over Again...'

You should visit @Blckshdw 's latest {SOLVED!} Post... You'll get the idea:

Thanks for the link....I do remember that video..I had a water pump go bad about 100K miles ago and it was scary...thought the motor spun a bearing...lol.

So before I started the process of removing the oil pan, I took another look as to why this noise was audible with the A/C off. I have to follow words of wisdom and not discount any helpful advice.

I went to remove the belt and noticed a shiny egde on this idler pulley.

pulley4.jpg

I replaced this pulley less than a month ago, I realized the original ran very close to the timing cover and this one was also close. I pushed on the idler and heard it contact the cover so I figured this could be the culprit for the noise when the A/C compressor is disengaged,

Original pulley.

pulley1.jpg

I took a pic of the new pulley at a bad angle and it looks like it touches but there's a small gap. It didn't start making noises until probably a few weeks ago...one of the many noises I was hearing.

pulley2.jpg

This pulley when the A/C is not engaged, will move slightly into the cover and make a sharp metallic knock.

When the A/C is engaged it loads the tensioner slightly and runs with enough clearance and is quiet.

I warmed the motor one last time before I started on the oil pan, using the old pulley and that rattling went away. Only had the single knock from inside.

So thanks @MRRSM for at least pointing this out, otherwise I would not have at least pursued it before removing the pan. :thumbsup::thankyou:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online