What do you guys think ?...No, really.

northcreek

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
WNY
From an Equinox website: Whoops!

Hello,
I had a drill bit fall into the spark plug hole (2020 Equinox( and the car was started. Is there anything that can be done to fix the problem without having to change the entire engine. This picture is from the inside of where the spark plug goes. I believe the drill bit is in the cylinder.
ET16_20221027081006.jpeg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's a 2020 so just two years old and likely under warranty. My question is why was he working on the engine? I mean, really?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, that's it. Start it and it will come out the exhaust! :laugh:

Joe_67

Aug 9, 2022
Central Virginia
Wow. I'd love the whole back story.

I did have an odd experience once. It was an old beater Dodge Neon - the little 4 cyl Chrysler engine. For whatever reason (can't remember exactly why) I was finging TDC compression partly with the help of a dowel. The dowel somehow hung up in a weird way and broke off way down low inside of the cylinder. I tried all sorts of stuff to get the piece of dowel out to no avail. Can't recall the details. It had just landed in a weird way. So finally I cranked the engine over to shake things up (spark plug still out) and somehow did get it out. Luckily it did not appear to do any damage.

The next time I needed a "dowel" for such a thing, btw, (I did NOT use a drill bit!) I went to a pc of plastic toilet supply line I had in my misc plumbing box. I figured it wouldn't break off!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just use a screwdriver to find TDC so it can't fall in.

If I would have been in his shoes, I would have used a borescope to position the piston and bit in a way to use a magnet to retrieve it but he obviously ran it and now he's fornicated himself!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.