What do you all recommend for squeaking suspension components.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
I' have used the AT-205 that Scotty Kilmer on Youtube recommended. It helps rehydrate the rubber. It definitely helps, but doesn't seem to last long. Would a silicone spray on the rubber parts work better?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which parts are you talking about? If it's the front A-arms, then replacement is the only solution as the rubber has separated from the cans in the arms. Would be the same for the rear arms. If it's the stabilizer bar bushings, I'd just replace them and install them dry.

And don't listen to Kilmer too much. He's a quack, kinda like Dr. Oz.

Last edited:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
new front lower control arm bushings don't have the "cans"

bushing 2.jpg

Is it better or worse design? It is AC Delco professional - for what it's worth.
When the edge of the inner bushing section hits the outside, you get a metallic "clank" sound, not a squeak.

Last edited:

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Which parts are you talking about? If it's the front A-arms, then replacement is the only solution as the rubber has separated from the cans in the arms. Would be the same for the rear arms. If it's the stabilizer bar bushings, I'd just replace them and install them dry.

And don't listen to Kilmer too much. He's a quack, linda like Dr. Oz.
Mostly in the rear. It's difficult to tell exactly what is squeaking. I just sprayed down all the rubber bushings and components I could see. Trailing arms, shocks, sway bar, etc. It quieted down nicely but it doesn't seem to last long. Maybe a few weeks. Then it starts back up again.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The can I'm referring to is the outer one. The rear arms can have the same problem.

NJTB

Aug 27, 2012
Flemington, NJ
I replaced all the suspension components (LCA, UCA, struts, trailing arms, stabailzer links and bushings) about 18 months ago. They started to squeak 3 months later, low speed over speed bumps.
Tried lubricating the bushings on side at a time so I could pinpoint it, then re torquing everyting, no luck.
Now I live with it.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
That's what mine does also. Low speed over speed bumps. The AT-205 does help. Just doesn't last very long.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You watch him long enough, you'll know why. One example, he goes under a car with just a jack holding it up. Another, he lets brake calipers hang from the hose. He's annoying as fingernails on a chalkboard.

Reactions: Mektek and Redbeard

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
new front lower control arm bushings don't have the "cans"

View attachment 102270

Is it better or worse design? It is AC Delco professional - for what it's worth.
When the edge of the inner bushing section hits the outside, you get a metallic "clank" sound, not a squeak.

You can see the huge difference in the amount of rubber and metal. Same problem I had with motor mounts. They're just not the quality of GM Original Equipment parts.
Ive been to the dealer quite often and was given "professional/Gold" line of parts and I hand them right back. You might just as well go A Z and get their top of the line parts. There are a few spots you can get away with using non-OEM parts but IMO the suspension, steering, motor and cooling system are not the place.

There are 3 lines of parts. GM OEM ...which are not always ACDelco Then the ACDelco Gold, formally Professional and then the Silver, formally Advantage which is as cheap as anything your local auto parts has. These trucks have lasted 20yrs and over 200K miles because they were built with high quality parts. And for 2 reasons I go back to them, 1 I like my car to sit, ride and handle just like new and 2 because squeaks and rattles drive me batshit crazy. Yea Ive spent a small fortune on mine but if nothing else it drives as well as it did the day it left the showroom floor..

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Is it just me or it's been getting more difficult to find ACDelco parts for these trucks? Since they've been out of production for over 10 years now, maybe they've been dropping them and we're now relegated to the aftermarket?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
100% its difficult. They are going to the Gold line on just about everything. Im looking to replace the rear springs and even though I have a part number for OEM all I can find is Gold line. I ended up matching the spring lengths, etc as closely as possible and ordered springs for a later model Tahoe instead.
When I go to U-Pull-it I constantly look for factory parts in good shape. Ive got enough used Tie rods to last years....lol I got front hubs, etc that looked like they had a lot miles left on them. When I needed the rack and pinion I got 1 out of a junk yard in Pennsylvania with only 80K on it. I was able to get Oem rotors and shoes but had to have them shipped in, looked like they had been on shelves for years....in fact if i remember right the date on the box was 08. To me its worth the effort, I realize others using theirs for daily drivers cant wait for parts or search for replacements and have to go with what's available.

No doubt about it only people like us who swear by these trucks who will bother to go thru the trouble to get quality parts. Thats y this site is so valuable to us, we can share what works and what doesnt and save a lot of headaches dealing with crappy aftermarket items. Maybe we should have sub forum dedicated exclusively to parts...a "what works what doesnt" type of thing. I know I belong to several FB groups of Envoy/Tb owners and half the threads are about clutch fans that dont last or work right, hubs that last 6 months, Junk MOOG and Detroit Axle parts that last 20K miles tops. Ive quit reading them for the most part because these are the daily driver types just trying to make it to work everyday and dont have time to search and order...or pay factory part prices.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online