What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Man, that's sad to see what's going to happen to that truck, being in the rust belt. All the fun / love / money that's gone into that thing, only to see it eventually succumb to body cancer. :hissyfit:

My own little starter story is coming up in my build thread. *Nothing* like this one, in comparison.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You were lucky. It could've made for One Helluva Rip-Roaring Engine Fire, too. :eek:

PSFLAMES.jpg

Stugar

Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
All was good till we looked into the engine bay and saw some smoke and we shut it down to find that a power steering line had decided to split. View attachment 96955
It was rusty and crusty so its not like it wasn't eventually going to happen but it sucks to get this far and this happen as your repairing something totally unrelated. I'm glad we where standing there as it happened cause the spray of steering fluid coming out could of made a ridiculous mess of the engine bay. Lines are on order and should be here by mid week so we should have his SS back on the road for the weekend.

I've done this job twice in the last two months, not fun on the 4.2L, and I'm sure not fun on the V8's. At least your PS pump isn't on the opposite side of the engine. I know for sure if I ever have to do the job again I'm just pulling the rack and replacing the seals out of the car.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
I've done this job twice in the last two months, not fun on the 4.2L, and I'm sure not fun on the V8's. At least your PS pump isn't on the opposite side of the engine. I know for sure if I ever have to do the job again I'm just pulling the rack and replacing the seals out of the car.

I would think it may be just a little easier on the 4.2 but I haven't done 1 yet. Knock on wood but the starter in my envoy with the 4.2 is original to it and the truck has almost 210k miles on it.
I've had my own set of issues with rack&pinions on my envoy. First replacement from Detroit axle had a stripped bolt hole where the lines are held, then the second one I bought local to me was just a bad rebuild. So went back in with another Detroit axle rack and its been fine since. Although I did have a line come completely off one side of the cooler weeks later but it might of been some kind of air pocket that had been created by all the times I had to remove the lines from the rack to get it to seat correctly. Chances are that was my own fault for Turning the steering wheel at start up when it was like 30°f at a stand still.

Then about a month or so later I had to replace the pump which had run dry for a while so the internals got jacked up and the pulley was making a whole lot of noise. That actually went out and in very smooth surprisingly.

Stugar

Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
Eh, the hard part isn't getting around the engine really, it's getting up over the strut tower and down to the rack, then into the rack that's hard IMHO. Sure, I removed the cooling pack from the truck the second time around, but that was more for the trans cooler lines than the PS lines, but I suppose it did make removing that bracket retaining screw a lot easier, and made it possible to put it back in...

And I've had my issues with Detroit Axle racks too, my first one on my TB project came with the pressure line from the control valve to the cylinder smashed because they just threw it in a box and shipped it, it also hadn't come with cup seals. And similarly my second one, an O'Rielly rebuild, had a bad steering shaft seal that filled up the boot.

• Wow
Reactions: xavierny25

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
@xavierny25 Wow! My lines are looking about as crusty, now you've got me paranoid about mine. :yikes:

So far everything has been good with the new battery! We've had a few cool nights this past week, its so satisfying to get in and just have it start quick and easy. Did the usual checking of fluids and whatnot. Dumped a can of BG44k Fuel Injector Cleaner in, seemed to have decent reviews so figured why not. I've been contemplating how to tackle my oil burning now, that wouldn't involve tearing into the engine. I'm about 43% (3,340 mi) on my OLM. I've driven 500 miles and have had to put a quart in :frown:. No abnormal spots in the driveway, and the dipstick smells and looks like oil aside from being dark. My rear main is leaking though, but not sure how much thats contributing. So I'm deciding if I should try running BG's EPR that you throw into the oil before you change it to help remove carbon build up on the rings or just get a few cans of the AC Delco Top Engine Cleaner and spray it into each cylinder and let it sit for a few hours and see if that helps any. Waiting on the USB borescope camera to arrive so I can take a peak and see how shes looking before going that route.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Just put the charger on the Saab as the battery was dead again despite a new battery and alternator. So I have a parasitic draw somewhere :mad:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got the Saab ready to tow the new trailer home tomorrow. Cleaned it out a bit and also noticed that the left front parking light was out. Change the bulb, nada. I had replaced this socket before and I had soldered and heat shrinked the wires. Well tug on them and it corroded under the heat shrink :mad: . Soldered, heat shrinked and liquid taped everything. The left fog light, which also acts as a DRL, was also out however that one was corrosion in the connector. I didn't have a spare connector so I cleaned it out as much as possible and added some dielectric grease. Works fine now. Also remembered to put a spare tire in the back. Gassed it up at Costco and she'll be ready early tomorrow morning.

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Got the new cam but it will be awhile before I do anything with it. Was still trying to the 150 miles w no CEL coming on so I could get the inspection sticker and ofcourse it didnt make it...AGAIN! This time i get a knock sensor code and Im not sure but it kind of felt like in the last mile or 2 before I got home that it was losing power rather badly.
I dont know at this point what Im going to do with it. I cant let it sit another year dry rotting. I dont have the funds to go thru the motor like it needs , still havent solved the over heating problem and ....its a mess.
Im thinking/hoping that maybe the knock is caused because I still havent changed plugs #1 and #8. That a longshot I know but its the only thing I can try in a half a day or so to fix that might work. If it doesnt .............

• Sad
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
My TB 'almost' left me stranded again with a no start. This was the same issue I had in June. A local garage replaced the starter (it was good) and did a patch on the ground cable back in June. That in fact was a big mistake on their part...it should have been replaced completely. So last night when it wouldn't crank, I had a set of jumper cables that I used to go between the NEG and a clean spot on the alternator case. Fired up at that point. Today I was able to replace both POS and NEG cables with a new set. Fixed once and for all. :2thumbsup:

BTW...the original failure point of the cable was the ground connect that attaches to the frame at the drivers side front wheel. Water is getting inside the cable and has corroded the cable internally until it can no longer function and eventually heats up and burns. What a silly place to even put a ground.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Dropped and reinstalled the tank today after finding the connector at the pump that I thought was good leaked fuel like a sprinkler. One of the o-rings came apart, upon further inspection. Anyway, after another trip to grab a fuel line repair kit( I know, should've replaced them both to begin with) and more rolling around on the floor it appears it is good to go. First time in weeks without eau de petrol and I was tired of looking at it like this...20200919_133424.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Checked trans fluid. Going to need to get an inch lb torque wrench since last time I borrowed a friend's.

Also noted a rusted tank strap. Glad I saw it before Iost my fuel tank!

Attachments

• 20200928_091208.jpg
    20200928_091208.jpg
    468.4 KB · Views: 14

Stugar

Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
Got the tires swapped over from the Envoy onto the TB and balanced. That's not a fun job with a manual changer and balancer. Worst part is that now that I have the tools my brother and his wife will constantly be bugging me for this and that since they're always buying used tires and such. Sigh...

Only a couple more things to go on this before it's ready for winter, gotta take care of the rear wiper, either rebuild it or buy a rebuilt motor, gotta get my radios installed before hunting season, and gotta go over the interior and clean it up.

Also, does anybody know the part number for the door sill retainer clips? There was literally nothing left to take to a parts store of my old clips, the sill is just sitting in there loose other than the christmas tree pin at the front.

Reactions: Matt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Also, does anybody know the part number for the door sill retainer clips? There was literally nothing left to take to a parts store of my old clips, the sill is just sitting in there loose other than the christmas tree pin at the front.

If you have a pick n pull nearby, you can get those off junker vehicles for pennies. :twocents:

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Worst part is that now that I have the tools my brother and his wife will constantly be bugging me for this and that since they're always buying used tires and such. Sigh...

Just say "sure you can change your tires. Let me show you how..."

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
New rubber.
Before:
20200928_194516.jpg
After:
20200928_202646.jpg
Yes I went up a few sizes.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Not today.. But last night. I had a $1.00 off a gallon discount that was expiring last night. So I went out and started it, for the first time in like 6 weeks! She fired up like I had been driving it the whole. Didnt miss a beat.

I sure miss driving the old girl. Selling my Rendezvous, and my Corsica, so she will be back into full time duty sooner or later. I still need to get the winter tires put on her, and get my bluetooth adapter replaced. My BlueFusion that I put in some 12 years ago died. Gonna replace it with either another BlueFusion, or a USASpec.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Blew the motor in the Saab while towing the new trailer. Rod knock. My son came to tow the trailer while I drive it to his place. Was running on 0 oil pressure at times. She still starts and moves around but she's done.

So a new truck is now more pressing than ever. I'll check and see if the Avalanche I put a deposit on in Mississauga is ready as they were getting a new fuel tank for it today. If thats the case, I may drive down there with my son and if I'm satisfied, drive it to his place to hitch up the trailer.

As for the Saab, I'll tow it home to part it out and send the rest to scrap. I see a future for the diffs in the TB since it is a 8.6 and 3.73.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well it was kinda a roller coaster day....

I had to pick up my of my employees from a shop we took one of my company trucks to, to get an alignment done.. I just casually asked if anyone is looking for cheapish car with low miles. A father son duo walked up and said we are. I had the Buick with me, and he said can I borrow it for about 5-10 minutes to put it up on a rack, and check the underside. Uhh.. Sure no problem. 5 minutes later, he asks if he could meet me at my house tonight. Sure no problem. He shows up with his dad and mom. Dad buys the Chevy Corsica, son buys the Buick Rendezvous, and I have 4500 sitting in my pocket!

So I put the baby seat in the Envoy, transferred over some of my stuff from the Rendezvous. And the Envoy is back in full time duty. I am so wanting to buy this 9-7x 5.3 thats for sale near me with low miles and cheapish... But we are kinda hurting for cash... and its really starting to piss me off! Anyone wanna buy my XUV????

Edit: I also ordered some new headlight buckets, a new USASpec BT45-GM15 bluetooth module, and a LED brake light strip that plugs into the 7way plug at the back.

Edit2: And I spent the last 45 mins taking off the residual residue from my Vent Visors that got destroyed in the last hail storm. Looking for a set of those too!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Follow up on the Saab and to show what an LS engine sounds like with rod knock.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I guess on the plus side it did get you home safely and leaves no doubt that it wants to die which you seem okay with.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ouch, that sucks, sorry bud.

Would a built LS3 be out of the question? :salivate:

The truck isn't worth it. Rusting quarters and underside so no new engine. Otherwise I would have slapped in an old iron block 6.0L.

I guess on the plus side it did get you home safely and leaves no doubt that it wants to die which you seem okay with.

That's just it, we're NOT home. We're about 500km away from home at my son's place.

Now planning on just taking off the parts I want there and scrapping the rest at a local yard. Would save the expense of towing it home.

Oh, and the replacement Avalanche isn't ready yet so it's a ride home in a Corolla for me, the wife, the dog, my younger son and his girlfriend. He'll, I can't even get a bus ride home as the Ottawa bus station just closed and... Covid.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
New plan. Waiting at my son's place until the Avalanche is ready, hopefully in a day or two, then rent a car one way to get it. If it doesn't work out, I'll just change the destination city for the rental and go home.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yesterday...

Gave the Voy a 100k miles check up, plugs and wires, air filter, and some blood (my own). Those exhaust manifold heat shields have some sharp edges! She has just shy of 200k, so it was time. Last time it was done at 98k by the dealer.

It went fairly smoothly. I wasnt planning on doing wires, but -1- wire decided to pull apart as I was taking it off the plug. Still cant believe I had to go thru the wheel well to get the rear 2 plugs on the passenger side.

The spark plug lay out on these trucks is a bit of a nightmare! Going to start another thread about that thou.

Realized I have a bad Tie Rod, so going to be ordering up some new Tie Rods, while getting the parts needed to finally get that front end rebuild complete.

My back is killing me today. Time to work, and take it easy.

Last edited:

Stugar

Apr 17, 2019
Michigan
Finally got rid of the Envoy, actually got $75 more than they'd quoted me in July, so not bad.

Also polished up the headlights on the TB, combined a Sylvania kit and a 3M kit for the best of the two best kits out there.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Uninstalled old and busted BlueFusion... Installed new USASpec BT45-GM15. Works just like the BlueFusion, except it does voice announcements..

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Yelled at it a bit.. And now pissed off at it..

So when replacing the above mentioned Bluetooth adapter, I disconnected the battery, completely forgetting that it makes the HVAC go NUTS! So now I have floor and defrost, but no vents!

Pulled fuses 39, 36, and 40, nothing. Tried disconnecting the battery again, nothing.

Is there a step I am forgetting, or missing? Need my dash vents AC PLEASE!

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I think you may have to replace the actuator unfortunately. Did you turn the key to acc or run after disconnecting the battery instead of just starting it up? That's the only other thing I can think of.

Reactions: Redbeard

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Went to inspect the fuel tank straps as apparently the front strap may be one of two sizes and it isn't clear which one you get without looking. My truck is a Z71 so it has a big plastic skid bolted up in the way, and it dawned on me that skid may just be helping hold the tank in place given how bad that strap looked. I decided I should run the tank closer to empty before pulling it to inspect, just in case!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I think you may have to replace the actuator unfortunately. Did you turn the key to acc or run after disconnecting the battery instead of just starting it up? That's the only other thing I can think of.
KOEO for 2 minutes, followed by starting. I dont know about the ACC? Is there something I missed?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
KOEO for 2 minutes, followed by starting. I dont know about the ACC? Is there something I missed?
No mate, it should just be run, I wasn't 100% sure yesterday which possi the key should be turned to so I threw out both. If it's not recalibrating then it's most likely replacement time.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Well, after fighting with the Vent Motor most of the early morning (until 130am), I could get it to work partially. I could physically turn the gear 90 degree, and than start the calibration thing. It would turn the 90 degree, and lock up again.

Went out and purchased a Dorman today, and it did the same thing... WTF!

Well turns out, on my XUV anyways, that pulling the fuses out, does NOT put it into recalibration mode. Only pulling the battery cable for 2 minutes will. Did all that, calibration went thru, and now it works, but when I put it on floor or defrost, it clicks once. GRR! Its got a lifetime warranty, so just going to live with it for now.

Got all the front end suspension rebuild parts ordered, Struts, springs, bearing plates, control arms (upper and lower), control arm brackets, stabilizer links, inner and outer tie rods, upper ball joints, lower ball joints, I dont think I missed anything? I decided to not buy the Bilstein struts. I like the ride that my current GM struts have, which parts exchange over to KYB, so thats what I ordered. Hopefully will be here sometime this week, will do it friday night, alignment and new tires saturday... Its going to be an expensive week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online