What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got around to finishing up/correcting the upper ball joint adventure this evening. Got a replacement joint for the one I couldn't thread the zerk fitting into. This time, screwed the fittings in before pressing them into the steering knuckle. Used a different press kit this time, with more options. Worked a little better putting them in. Still had to use a 30mm deep socket to press out the old ones. Pumped them up with some grease and called it a wrap. Now I'll get to see how well the boots hold up to the lift kit stress, as one side is pretty compressed already even with the UCAs being flipped.

Also hooked up the battery charger, as I keep getting a slow crank issue if I don't drive the truck anywhere for a day. Seeing as the current battery is about 4 years old, it's time to look into replacing that too. Not sure if I want to keep going with the Walmart specials, or step up to a good AGM. Will have to do some research. :undecided:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Not sure if I want to keep going with the Walmart specials, or step up to a good AGM. Will have to do some research.

I had the same quandary and ended up getting the Duracell AGM from Sam's. Best money I've spent on a battery.

Reactions: Blckshdw

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Watched the left front tire go flat, again. So yesterday was scrambling to find another set but then remembered I had some in the shed. Found one of the same brand and type on an old steel rim but it's down to it's last bit before it hit the wear bars. It'll be good for the rest of this season. I'll have it dismounted and remounted onto my aluminum rim.

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I had the same quandary and ended up getting the Duracell AGM from Sam's. Best money I've spent on a battery.

I'll probably go with a non-Wally source for my next battery, too (and it'll likely be an AGM, too). Same issue as @Blckshdw - the WM flooded batteries lose charge quickly. I've had to replace two on warranty, and almost lost a 3rd (which now barely cranks the Envoy over; it'll be on a float charger while I'm gone)

BTW, Batteries & Bulbs also carries the Duracell line; they give 10% off online order / in-store pickup, if you don't have a Sam's membership.

I bought the 6V (flooded) deep cycles I use for my trailer there almost 2yrs ago; they're holding up well so far.

Reactions: Matt and Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Took it for a drive. Hit the UPS store for some Amazon returns, and picked up some groceries. The ride is SO much smoother with the new motor mounts. Combine that with how quiet it is on the road with the new bushings, I kept feeling paranoid like something else was wrong. It really feels like a different truck. I think an alignment may be in my future after all though. When turning a tight left off a side street, the steering wheel doesn't want to self center on it's own, it'll stay there and keep me turning. I have to start it back right a little bit first, and then it will self center. Going right behaves normally.

BTW, Batteries & Bulbs also carries the Duracell line; they give 10% off online order / in-store pickup, if you don't have a Sam's membership.

:undecided: We have Batteries Plus here, which I was looking at. I see they have the same online order deal, plus $10 MIR on Duracell batteries. Hmm, may need to pull the trigger on that one.

Reactions: Matt and BrianF

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Watched it roll another digit on the odo. 217k now. It also yelled at me to change its oil soon. On my to do list this week.

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Scoffed at it this morning when I saw one of my recent additions falling off of it. One of my reverse bars fell off of the bottom of the bumper support, head of the self-tapper sitting in the bracket. Apparently I over tightened the self-tapper and broke the screw and it just now fell off weeks later. Didn't have time to mess with it this morning so let it swing to work by the cord and zip tied it to the breakaway chain hook before I left. I'll fix it tomorrow or Friday I guess.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Deracked it and prepared it for the trip to Long Island tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20191224_105925.jpg
    IMG_20191224_105925.jpg
    680.4 KB · Views: 11

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
  • Haha
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You betcha! Wanna gain an extra 0.15 MPG :tongue:

I've been wanting to remove it since the first snow. Makes it easier brushing the snow off and I like the cleaner look. One of the knurled nuts spun so I had to silicone it to prevent leaks. The others I just put in some set screws with thread sealer. Will eventually have them knocked in, filled and painted properly like I did with the old EXT.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011

2001ZR2

Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
I finished the wheel hub replacement on my 5 speed 2001 blazer. Also replaced the front sway bar links as the corrosion prevented me from tightening the loose one. Did a quick oil change and topped off fluids. Then the comedy began.

I decided to change the oil in my son's 2006 I6 Trailblazer. I freaking hate the oil filter location and amount of spillage that comes with changing it. Even completely dropped the skid plate to make it easier. Hard to get a good grip on the filter to make sure it's tight but after 10 minutes I decided to risk that it was tight enough. I had added oil to filter before install..not a clean install.

• Sad
Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I got the passenger side front end torn apart. Had to cobble something together in order to press the new UBJ in, and the strut didn't want anything to do with leaving the yoke(no surprise). The lower bracket is in and didn't fight me(surprise). The hole in the new lower arm for the stab link is too small so I'm in limbo until I grab a new bit to bore that out. I will throw up some pics eventually but today all my extra time was spent swearing.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I got the passenger side front end torn apart. Had to cobble something together in order to press the new UBJ in, and the strut didn't want anything to do with leaving the yoke(no surprise). The lower bracket is in and didn't fight me(surprise). The hole in the new lower arm for the stab link is too small so I'm in limbo until I grab a new bit to bore that out. I will throw up some pics eventually but today all my extra time was spent swearing.

I feel your pain man, believe that!!

Reactions: Redbeard and Eric04

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Got it in to the shop for the alignment. 20191227_090050.jpg
The tech was very thorough, prying and pulling and tugging on all the suspension parts before he even took it out on a pre drive before he got started. It's all good now and he advised me to rotate the tires every 10k so they would wear more evenly and last longer then my last set.20191227_101952.jpg
Ran it through the car wash shortly after.

Then came the fun part, broke in the new tires and alignment by driving over to meet @Mooseman in long island for lunch and to shoot the shit while the Mrs. did some shopping.20191227_160420.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Tried starting it today, couldn't jump start it. Will check more into it in the morning.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Today was battery love day. Lil backstory, when I had my transmission replaced, the dealer "lost" my accessory battery terminal bolt on the ground side. They also removed the boot for some reason, and they replaced my bolt with a machine bolt and a nut to hold the ground cables on. :mad: I had an old extended bolt in my bin that I tried to use previously, but it was WAY too long and bottomed out in the battery before forcing the cables to make contact.

The majority of the bolt wasn't threaded, so simply cutting off the excess wasn't an option before. But now that I have a tap and die set... :undecided: :biggrin: Shoulda Googled the bolt size first, and saved me some time, but I didn't. Trial and error instead. Used a couple of dies first that I thought were close, but the accessory nut would only thread down to the original point and get stuck. Finally looked up the bolt size, and used the correct die. Wasn't ready for the amount of squealing at first, but after I got that done, the nut threaded all the way to the base. Forgot to take a before pic, but only the first 3 or 4 threads were usable before. If you look at the shadow, you can tell where the new threads were cut.

20191228_083241.jpg

Swapped it with the machine bolt on the ground connection, and it was still way too long, even using the extra nut. :hopeless:

20191228_110940.jpg

Broke out the cutoff wheel, and got after it. At least now I could use the same wrench on both terminals, instead of needing 2 different sizes.

20191228_111500.jpg

Picked up a Duracell Ultra Platinum, and swapped it in, in the parking lot. Old battery had a 9/15 sticker on it, so definitely was time to replace it after a good run. Now I'm debating if I want to mod my battery cover to fit over the top posts. Not really necessary, but may be a mod for a day when I'm painfully bored.

20191228_130128.jpg

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Swapped out the old 11/13 dated group 75 650cca battery for a group 78 800cca dual terminal battery. The 75 was still cranking but getting lazy when cold and not providing a good buffer as the lights were dimming like crazy with tunes at night. Tested below 500cca so with a trip tomorrow I pulled the plug on it. Went with an Exide battery because that's what we deal at work now and advance didn't have the one I wanted in stock.

I decided I HAD to have a dual terminal battery because I absolutely HATE the piggy back bolts that I had to run for big-3 and amp wiring. Made use of the top terminals for my added wiring and swapped the factory battery bolts back onto the side terminals. Was gonna use some better top post terminals but nabbed these from work for free so I'm not complaining. And yes I taped the cross bar and terminal because I'm paranoid of some disastrous contact, it's about a quarter inch from the fender pinch there.

20191227_182742_HDR(1).jpg

Also baked, resealed, and re-keyed the new turn signal housings I got with the headlights and finally put those on. Didn't wanna have more water issues like the old ones and ending up with destroyed chrome.

20191227_182544_HDR(1).jpg

And lastly I remounted the aux reverse bar that fell off and loaded down the tool box with my trip tools which consist of basically everything and cleaned the inside out. Topped off oil and checked fluids.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
Sunday I had family stuff going on so I didn't get back at the TB until today. No more issues with replacement parts and everything is buttoned up on the passenger side. I got everything torn down on the driver's side except for control arms/bracket. Since the UCA bolts take more time and I wanted a PB Blaster soak on the bracket bolts I decided I'll get them next time through. New UBJ pressed in and the strut surrendered to the BFH, so most of the shit work is done. Related: my back hurts.
20191230_131339.jpg20191230_163818.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Drove the beast into work again. It really does ride well for what it is and its fun to get it downtown and watch all the lil cars move out of the way on the tight streets.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Found a deal I could NOT pass up on! 2007 9-7x 5.3 with 230k miles on it for $850. Body was in great shape, except for the rear bumper cover and probably the bumper reinforcement that need to be replaced. I couldn't turn it down because, it is the exact color I wanted and it had the rims I wanted as well (even though the rims are completely trashed from salt).

I spent my NYE driving to go pick it up to take it to my parent's house to replace the rear upper (lateral) control arm. I also swapped out the air bags that he said were "good" with springs. I didn't need to chance those burning out the air compressor while I figure everything else that could be wrong on the vehicle.

Everything seems to be functional on it except for the whining coming from either the DVD screen/player or the air temp aspirator, which is constant when it is acting up and gets louder/more high pitched when accelerating, very annoying.

I think it's wiring issue because, one headlight was working when I started it to drive home. I turned the vehicle off when I got home and then started it for the GF to hear it engine (because I was a kid with a new toy) and then the headlight that was out turned on and the whining was silent.

I'll have to spend a few weeks tearing into it but, I think it's going to be a really good vehicle. Someone before the last owner actually took pretty good care of it.

I do plan on rebuilding the engine, trans, transfer case, and both diffs. It will be a part-time vehicle as those things happen.

EDIT: Bonus!! The guy was pulling a box out of the back (his stuff) and he had Motor Age mechanic study books, the ones I'm using for my state certifications. He had 3 of them and they were 3 of the ones I needed still. I asked him how much he wanted for them and he just handed them to me.

So, I saved at least $60 on buying mechanic study books.

EDIT#2: Added a pic of the rear bumper cover.

Attachments

• IMG_20191231_182508.jpg
    IMG_20191231_182508.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20191231_143007.jpg
    IMG_20191231_143007.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Bumper.png
    Bumper.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Status