What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
A couple of months ago I found a set of 8 NEW injectors for my 5.3i 9-7x for $49.95, but I had my wife's 99 Buick Park Avenue in the garage and now that it is done and sold.. it was time to do the injectors. I did find one of the old injectors on the passenger side that was bad reading infinite on the 20 ohm range. The other 7 were reading right around 12.6 ohms. I kept getting misfire codes indicating one of the injectors was sticking open. So now, the new injectors are in. All 8 of the new injectors measured 10.6 ohms. We'll see how it goes. I also installed new retaining clips.
First trip to town, actually picked up another .2 mpg without reset on the mpg. Purchased a rear privacy/ cargo cover in brand new condition since there was no cover with it when I purchased the Saab and then went to the VA to get my bluetooth in my hearing aids switched back to my left ear.. anyway it picked up that .2 mpg in less than 100 miles.

Reactions: Beacon

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
After PB blasting the O2 sensor the previous 2 nights, I decided to see how much it was going to fight me, and if I needed to spray it again tonight. The AC hose and transmission dipstick were conveniently in the damn way for me to use my breaker bar, but I did manage to get a couple of passes to loosen it a little bit using a ratchet, so I think I'm good there.

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
After PB blasting the O2 sensor the previous 2 nights, I decided to see how much it was going to fight me, and if I needed to spray it again tonight. The AC hose and transmission dipstick were conveniently in the damn way for me to use my breaker bar, but I did manage to get a couple of passes to loosen it a little bit using a ratchet, so I think I'm good there.
Always fun to hit the moment of truth on those. With various applications I've mostly had good luck but over the years I've definitely had a few that were rust-welded in.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Worked on my wife's Pontiac Aztek last night. When I went to get at my 02 sensor last night, I realized there was no way I was going to get anywhere near the sensor or threads with the PB Blaster, barely had enough room for my arm. So I said screw it, and got the O2 sensor wrench out, and got it on the sensor end (with a lot of cussing, 1 inch of space in-between the sensor and the firewall, who came up with that idea!?). Got my breaker bar on it, and I would say I put about 15 lbs of force on it when I heard a very audible crunch. My immediate response was "Oh fuck". Thinking I broke the wrench or the sensor, I stuck my arm up there, and the sensor was spinning freely (HUGE sigh of relief). Reached up a little further, unplugged the old sensor harness, and finished spinning off the old one. Put the new one on, cleared the codes, and will take it out for a drive today.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
New passenger headlight and new sway bar bushings were on the agenda today.
I found an (ultra rare) used, clean driver's side headlight for $10 last year, but could never find a clean passenger one. So I paid the $32 for a new headlight. Whatever.
After over 16 years, the haze was baaaaaad.

Original (yuck) vs. used $10 headlight.

Power steering lines are ordered. I'm not looking forward to that job but hate driving around with a bottle of PS fluid and topping off every few days.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Gave my O2 a stink eye. Not sure if it is the cause or simply just reacting to what the engine is doing when it is doing its minor idle bog n surge.

Screenshot_20190817-150850_Torque.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Mosied through about half of my rebuild today. Got the lower control arm bushings swapped and all reassembled and got a couple of the steering components taken apart. Torsion bars are cool but I think I prefer coils. Surprisingly smooth though, just unfamiliar. Was worried the bushings were gonna take forever and couldn't find any direct how to's or anything and from what I saw most people gave up on them lol. Luckily my dad bought a shop press way back when for the garage and it made the bushings a breeze, just had to cut the shoulders off and it was butter.

Found I had a sloppy hub amidst breaking the knuckle loose from the lower arm so that was a nice surprise. Oh, and it was new when I bought the truck, driver side is still stock. Went ahead and replaced with a moog while I was that deep in there already.

Gonna hit it again in the morning and finish it up, then I'll let it rest Monday while I'm off. Got an appointment at work for an alignment Tuesday lol.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

2001ZR2

Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
I was able to get the gas tank out of the truck but the fuel pump will not fit thru the opening.

Might be easier to buy a new tank..lol

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Finished the steering rebuild half on the truck today. Anyone wanna buy it? Still have squeaks from around the lower bushings and I'm about to burn it.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Had her aligned. Nice and tight, straight driving. I enjoy it. Was told I indexed the torsion keys wrong though as it's sitting on the edge of the front bump stops, I bought the unloading tool so I'll entertain the thought and reindex them next weekend. It's completely possible, I never marked them and it was my first time pulling keys and arms. Pretty sure most of them sit on the bumpers to a degree. Drives great though.

Oh then I left work and the starter acted up but did start after a couple tries. Repeated multiple times. Not a dead battery. Checked connections and left, got gas and started fine. Got home and tested battety/charging system and all looks well, also never acted up again after starting it 10 times.

I'm so ready to be done with this pig. I'm becoming overwhelmed at this point. Nickel and diming me to death. But it's my dream truck right?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Ordered up $420 worth of steering / suspension / etc. parts for the Sierra. (I *must* be high) :dunce:

Blackstone finally rec'd my oil sample today, per tracking. Given the distance to Ft. Wayne, IN from my house, I could've WALKED there with the package quicker than the full week it took USPS to deliver it. Hopefully, Bstone will have the report emailed by Mon-Tue of next week.

Starting to take apart the applicable items for replacement now, while waiting for the parts order. Counting my blessings that:
a) not going to have to deal with a super rusty / corroded chassis, this time.
b) I've done a lot of this before with Sierra #1
c) I've got a good air system, now
d) The truck is 2WD, so no front diff in the way of anything.

Removing the front bumper cover / grille, to convert the truck back to 'HD' from 'Denali'. Thankfully, previous owner threw in the original parts (although he trimmed the lower rear edge of the cover, where his 315s were rubbing, would be my guess). For now, I'll use it.

If the oil report comes back good, will place another parts order for 'the build' 🤞

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
This last week I helped a buddy with his 2004 Chev 2500. 397,xxx km. Its a 6L, hydraulic deck truck used as a ranch wagon to move bales around for cattle. Was having poor performance. Found the knock sensors (GASP!!) were bad. Rear one had disintegrated and the front had corrosion but tested good. helped him swap them out and a new harness. Codes cleared and drove much better. Then tested the O2 sensors, found them lazy. Came up with a plan and will help him with those when time permits. His T stat was showing temp peaked at 89C and fluctuated around there. Seems a bit low but not bad.

Got the scanner onto my Tb and found the P0455 code. I noticed it was having trouble air locking when fuelling again. Need to remove the vent valve for a cleaning and see if that goes away. Also monitored the O2 output at idle at operating temp. Voltage was not as smooth as it moved back and forth. Seemed jumpy and lazy to say the least. Found the sensors are like 35 bucks on amazon so I will order one up anyway. Its the original one with 230k km on it.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
on this note, was having the code 43 come back on my C1500. I checked resistance, which was in and around the spec for a black tipped knock sensor. Its output seemed weak but that's subjective. I checked the pigtail and it was sending a proper 5V reference signal. Popped it all back together, drove it for a few days, cleared the codes and now 43 is gone...... Was going to pop for a new knock sensor but I don't feel like spending 50 bucks for nothing.

This last tank I checked, 13 miles per gallon. Down from the usual 15-15.5. Hopefully with the sensor back in action she will return more decent mileage.

I also hit the exhaust manifolds with an IR temp gun. I hit each port and found the passenger bank running much, much cooler than the driver side bank. So that needs to be addressed with a teardown and inspection.

2001ZR2

Jul 16, 2019
Kansas
Successfully moved my son 4 hours away to college yesterday and he got 17.4 mpg on the drive up.

Just goes to show what a trans cooler, trans service, new plugs and 2 new coils, new air filter, new map sensor, new IAC sensor, new exhaust manifold, new engine mounts and front O2 can do when combined with a new fuel pump assembly. .

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Ordered Power Steering lines. I'm going to try and tackle this job tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I'm having flashbacks to when I did my trans lines by myself and about had an aneurysm from frustration at the "exact fit" design, and so-called "quick connects". Yikes, I hope these aren't as bad.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Did some band aid patch work to my upper radiator tank, to hold me over until I can put a new radiator in. Used a wide, flat tip for my soldering iron, and melted the plastic into the crack, hopefully it will hold the pressure and not split again right away.

Topped off the reservoir tank, so we'll see how it does later today when I run some errands.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
It took 7 hours, 6 beers, and, well, I lost track of my profanity, but the power steering lines are replaced! This was not nearly as bad as the trans lines in terms of the line fitment and connectors, the lines actually went in/out easy, but the location of some of the bolts was just ridiculous. Seriously, a bolt right under the crank pulley?! :Banghead:

Anyway, I did the bare minimum disassembly. I just removed the washer fluid reservoir, driver's side wheel, and upper control arm.

It took the first 3 hours to get the old lines out. That time was mostly figuring out how to get my hands/tools in the locations to best reach the bolts and fighting said bolts while contorting on the floor and cutting my hands up.

New lines in, everything (mostly) tightened back up, fluid topped off and 30 mile test drive later - the floor of the garage is dry as a bone after sitting overnight!

Job done. :woohoo:

Oh, and after all that my Service 4WD light comes on (C0327) and the switch is dark. Grrreeaaat. That's something to be pissed about another day.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Picked up the special 22mm socket for the O2 sensor. Is the ACDelco 213-3539 the correct front sensor? That's what shows online so if it is not superseded by another part, that's the one I will order.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Picked up the special 22mm socket for the O2 sensor. Is the ACDelco 213-3539 the correct front sensor? That's what shows online so if it is not superseded by another part, that's the one I will order.

This is the one I bought, for doing the same swap a couple weekends ago, 213-1698. Hitting the sensor with some PB Blaster 2 nights in a row before the swap helped. Didn't have to fight too hard to break it loose.

Reactions: BrianF

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

According to RA, that's the right one for 06-09 on the 4.2.

Reactions: BrianF

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Thanks, that one was showing for up to 2005 though. Thanks Mooseman, that's what amazon and RA were showing but I wanted to be sure, it was much cheaper than all the others so when it looks too good to be true.... Unless they want payment with iTunes cards or a Western Union through Liberia.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
After all that my Service 4WD light comes on (C0327) and the switch is dark. Grrreeaaat. That's something to be pissed about another day.
Fixed it after about 2 hours of troubleshooting with the scanner.

• Plug in scanner
  • Turn key to RUN
  • 4WD completely dead
  • Look at data, nothing from the encoders
  • Verify switch is outputting position
  • Manually actuate encoder motors A and B (I hear the motors whirr)
Ok?
  • Start engine
  • 4WD fully functional, everything works
  • Shut it off
Okaaaaay.
  • Restart engine
  • 4WD completely dead
  • Verify switch is outputting position
  • Control of encoder motors denied
Wtf?!

I called my friend and vented my frustration, insisting it was electronic under the hood - NOT the TCCM.

Before I got to probing every connector, I inspected the big connector on the side of the under hood fuse block one last time. Lo and behold, when I disconnected it over the weekend, I inadvertently broke the plastic lever that clamps it shut (it still 'clicked' but the hinge was broken so it really didn't hold the connector fully in).
I zip-tied the SOB together and now everything works again. What a roller coaster ride this has been lol.

XL Envoy

Mar 20, 2019
New York
While out on the road weeks back I got caught in a real storm coming down from Rochester and through the Poconos. Damn thing followed me as I tried to outdrive it South. We all have storm stories, this was one of those where you can't see the lane markings. Used the guardrail to insure I didn't wander. 120 or so miles took over 3 hours. Wind blowing the few tractor trailers still rolling all over, the drivers who like me kept on pushing.

After I finally got out from under by driving enough Eastward, the 4.2 started to miss. #5, which is in a perfect line of fire from the front right tire when it is in deep water. The dirt on the top of the 6 shows exactly where the water was splashing up. It got worse and worse as I continued the last 240 miles, failing completely for the last 20 or so.

It's a 2004 that I purchased that had not had a good life before me. I figured if I am going to cure that miss I might as well do plugs. Rock Auto had Iridiums with a rebate so I bought a set. Also picked up coils at the same time.

Glad I did. Found gaskets on 2 of the other coils had failed and I would have lost them sooner rather than later. Can't expect them to last forever. That #5? The water was halfway up the pocket. Lotsa rags and paper towels to dry up the Roman Bath in there.

Replaced the air filter since I had that apart. Oil and filter changed. Next will be a rub and scrub of the throttle body, once I find a store with cleaner. Two were out.

Look, the weather is still really good for prepping the ride before it gets cold. I aim to do more.
John S.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Been trying to find the source of my "ticking" sound under the hood of the Envoy. Pretty sure its an exhaust leak, since it goes away after 30 seconds of running. I know one bolt at the front of the head on the driver side has been broken for a few months, so not sure if its gotten to the point where its actually leaking out or if maybe there's an issue where the heads attach to the flange. It "sounds* like its coming from the lower drivers side, going to poke around again tomorrow.

I've also been underneath the Avalanche one too many times this weekend trying to fix my gas filling issues at the pump, keeps shutting it off every few gallons. So I ordered a new Vent Solenoid and Purge Valve, of course I'm knocking the Solenoid lose and I'm hearing a rattling sound while banging on the Vapor Canister. So that's bad, off to Amazon I went to order a new one.

Reactions: Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Bet this looks fun.
20190828_130151.jpg

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Drove it to work

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Would this scare anyone?
20190829_121328.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Blckshdw

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
What caused that?
Not sure but it came out the oil filter. Nothing magnetic to report. You'd think the oil change place would say something if there was. Hoping it's from the restore dad runs in the thing...

Just a really fine flake, no chunks at all.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got lucky with my radiator showing up earlier than expected. I guess FedEx wanted to get ahead of the storm, and did some Saturday deliveries. :thumbsup:

After tinkering with my tranny coolers the last couple of days, I decided to remove the front bumper to give me easier access underneath, as well as a few more inches of room at the front of my garage.

20190831_200153.jpg

20190831_200157.jpg

Didn't quite know how the condenser was supported, and when I realized all the weight would be on the AC lines when taking the radiator out, had to get creative. Used my scissor jack to hold up the plastic air damn that runs right under it, to support the weight. :biggrin: :cool:

20190831_200055.jpg

20190831_200040.jpg

Didn't have to backtrack too many times, but there were enough to cause some self cursing. Didn't get the condenser seated in the grooves on the radiator, so it was crooked. Then both tabs were outside of the slots, so only supported by the bolts at the top. Didn't see that until I had the top brace back on, and went to reconnect the bottom hose. Also noticed one of the radiator mounts had a LOT of wiggle room. Turns out the rubber radiator mount on that side came out with the old one. :duh:

Since I had so many components out, took the opportunity to spray and wipe everything down. Get the old coolant spray, and road grime out of there. Was nice to have everything clean. Thought I broke the hood latch, since the hood wouldn't close all the way. Took me 10 minutes to figure out the damn thing is adjustable, and I needed to move it up some. :dunce: And then I acted like I had never filled and burped a cooling system before. Got my spill proof funnel hooked up and filled, ran the truck up to temperature. Then my genius self decided to plug and disconnect the funnel while the engine was still running. Nice bit of hot coolant everywhere, to wipe up again. :hopeless:

Glad that's done, now to figure out my transmission temp mystery. :undecided:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Checked the rear brakes on the TB as they were constantly screeching. Take apart the right side where the noise was coming from, lo and behold, the lower caliper to slide pin bolt is missing! Well shoot. Take everything apart anyway, hit the rotors with the wire wheel, re-grease the pins and guides, add some anti-squeal to the old pads that still had lots of meat and put it back together. All good.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Gave the Envoy and Avalanche a good washing. Tried out Solution Finish to restore the cladding and it came out great! Hoping to get a year out of this stuff, otherwise just need to go back and touch up a few spots. Going to keep it in the garage for the next few days so it can cure.

Still not feeling too confident on patching up the rust, but gonna order everything from that ChrisFix video. I figured it can't get any worse then it is now if I try doing it myself lol.

Attachments

• 20190901_133733.jpg
    20190901_133733.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 8

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Had to cut the hoses, but got the aux tranny cooler lines disconnected, going to try running stock and see if the aux cooler is the cause of my heating issues. Let them drain for a few minutes while I took care of some cleanup, couple of well placed zip ties to keep the hoses out of harm's way.

20190902_170948.jpg

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Not today, Saturday. Drove up to my cabin. Looks to have been a very wet year up there. The roads or rough as well, washboards 4 inchs to 16+ inchs deep. Made for a rough ride. Baby was not liking it at all. So I turned and looked at him and did the whole WEEEEE!!! like it was a roller coaster. Calmed baby down, and got him to laugh some. And then he started saying WEEEE! And then my dog decided to give me a wet willy.. GRR!

I can definitely tell I need to rebuild the front end of the truck. Lots of creaking and moaning in that front end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online