What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Tightened all four upper control arm bolts on the Silverado yesterday, guess I'll do my next alignment or have my other buddy do it next time. Had a mystery thunk only in reverse and not repeatable after all this work I done and a slight pull to the right. Well, that's just where one camber/caster bolt was left just loose enough to be able to flap back and forth between it's maxes. Surprisingly drove awesome. Knocked one way out tightening them, got it back close but still need another alignment.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Gave the Envoy a good washing before going out to dinner with the parents. Driving home on the highway and the CEL came on, pulled in the driveway and connected the code reader and the upstream O2 sensor went bad. (Heater Circuit, Bank 1 Sensor 1). Crap...

Luckily I have the sensor on hand (bought it for the TB before the accident), so sometime this week if the weather permits I'll be under there trying to swap them out. Just in time for emissions testing.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Drove it to work with no center console, and I have to say that was pretty weird. I know I lean on it frequently, since I've cracked the console lid twice now. But it was super inconvenient to not have it there at all during the drive. Tugging on the end of the shift cable was interesting. Kept missing reverse, and danced between park and neutral a couple of times :laugh: No one was around to see me sitting there fumbling with it, or to know what I was doing, so no wounded pride.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Oil change and air filter. I forgot about the air filter anf it was way overdue :redface:

Reactions: Mooseman

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Made an attempt the other day to do my O2 sensor, what a pain in the ass! The upstream driver + passenger side are mounted/attached along the upper half of the tranny near the back of the engine block. It looked doable if I dropped the driveshaft or removed the intake manifold. After stepping away for a bit, I took it to the shop and had them swap it out. $60 and a case of beer and it was done within a day. Not too bad, I had them swap both upstream sensors with the two Denso's I had. If the driver was bad, I'm sure the passenger side one wasn't too far off either.

Codes are gone thankfully, idle is back to feeling buttery smooth and my idle miss/stumble I was chasing since last summer is gone now. So that's a plus! Only thing I need to do is get the bolt extracted from the manifold that keeps the heat shield in place since that broken sometime within the last two weeks...oh joy.

Reactions: Matt
Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Been busy ever since I got back to Saudi. However have been able to out in a bit of work. Dad had the bumpers and side fenders painted while I was out of Saudi so I came back to a nice beautiful looking car which also took care of the holes from the license plate holder I removed when I mounted the plate on the side. The shop did a great job on it and even took care of a few minor dents on the body work.

20190617_121537.jpg

Other than that finally got the right size LED bulbs for the high beams. Such a pleasure to flash them at night and have people immediately get out the way is very satisfying. Ordered another pair for the low beams but turns out my projectors only support HIDs. So gonna either put them in the Yukon high beams or my fog lights haven't decided yet. Also did the license plate lights again cause China!

20190618_182024.jpg

20190616_193220.jpg

Other than that it's been maintanence mostly. Ordered new door handles as 3 of 4 are broken. Planning on changing my HID bulbs to something more white in color. Also trying to chase a radiator leak in the Dads truck which is almost perfect now with the Gabriel replacement shocks I made him put in. Rides like new again with all new shocks and ball joints. What a time to be back!!

Have planned to re-do my turn signal LEDs soon. For some reason I can't think of anymore mods to do!!! Am I becoming too old for this!!!!! 😱😱

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ahem, I still have that PCM here :biggrin:

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
The Voy was stumbling when it started up this morning for the wife this morning. The cel light came on so she called out of work and I left work early to go check on it. I didn't have my code scanner (brother-in-law borrowed it). It reved fine but there was definitely a misfire somewhere. I took a chance and drove it over to Autozone to have it scanned. 20190625_152529.jpg
I decided not to take the advice of there system and just buy a spark plug (since I had just replaced them not even 6 months ago) instead I choose to buy a coil. Sure enough I got home swapped out the coil and she was back to normal. I ran over to my mechanic's shop and had him clear my codes and also scheduled the Voy for its yearly inspection this coming Friday.

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
1.5" wheel spacers installed in preparation for bigger shoes on Tuesday.

I'm stoked. This is only my second set of tires under my ownership. The Michelin X Radial LT2s I have on there currently are sitting at 78,000 miles. Only 2 of them are just now getting down to the wear bars.

IMG_20190628_183150.jpg

tcurlee

Mar 28, 2015
Well,, just got back my 05 Envoy from the transmission shop !! $3,000 later .. Total rebuild and threw in a trans cooler for good measure. Started chuddering (sp?) in drive a couple weeks ago on light acceleration like it couldn't decide between drive and 3rd OR it felt like it was misfiring. I was going to clean the throttle body and put new plugs in to see if that would take care of it but on the way to work on I-95a few days later, the trans REALLY started to go out - slipping and wouldn't go into D so I limped in the slow lane in 2nd or 3rd. finally got to work and in the parking lot it totally crapped out - wouldn't go in to any gear = tow truck to trans shop. It threw 2 codes as well, both relating to the trans ( can't remember now what they were ). I looked them both up on youtube and unless I'm a mechanic with a full shop ,, WAY over my head !! All good now though. Still gotta clean that TB and do an oil change. I got 213,000+ miles out of that trans .. is that about right ?? It's been a good veh. all in all. This is the 1st major thing to go wrong with it other than an AC compressor last year and the normal replacement items. Body and interior is in great shape so I think I'll keep her around awhile.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I had placed an order with Amazon a few days ago for some things (a couple of things for the Sierra amongst them), and since I didn't need them 'tomorrow', told Amazon to take their time delivering them (for which they gave me a few $1 credits for digital media).

Amazon being the marketing juggernaut they are, they sent me an e-mail with Kindle 'enticements' for me to then spend said $1 credits. So, of course, I clicked to see what was available.

Picked up this, based on @MRRSM's purchase of same & his referencing it on his cam swap thread

Unfortunately, after going through it pretty much cover-to-cover, I didn't find the book helpful at all. It was (to me) a parts catalog, with no real info on using the various tuning parms one will need to set (or can experiment with, etc.) when tuning. Which, as I look at the title of the book... is kind of a misnomer. Even 'fraudulent', if you will -?

The nice thing is, I was able to return it a couple of hours later, and got the (net) $10 back for it. That's how little I valued the title.

(no slight to MRRSM, of course, and I hope he gets some use out of the book. But I didn't.)

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Added a steering wheel with functioning buttons :2thumbsup:

20190629_211936.jpg

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Dropped it off at the mechanics so they can get the forward bolt for the rear drivers upper control arm off...the clip nut broke inside the frame and the bolt just spins. Getting them to replace the UBJs while it's there because I couldn't be bothered.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Dropped it off at the mechanics so they can get the forward bolt for the rear drivers upper control arm off...the clip nut broke inside the frame and the bolt just spins. Getting them to replace the UBJs while it's there because I couldn't be bothered.

sometimes better to pay for convenience sake vs. your time and energy eh? :crackup:

Reactions: Matt

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Shock isolator bushings on the Silverado. They were nicely wallowed out and squeaked worse than a typical bad ball joint. Shocks appear original and have all the rust you'd expect but still dampen wonderfully, couldn't even consider replacing them to get new bushings so I bought Dorman replacements and they were 100% oem design. Honestly impressed lol.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
20190705_125607.jpg
20190705_142656.jpg
Rack on the Voy. Started the project yesterday but ran into a few issue with the rack I got from Detroit Axle seems the bolt hole for the bracket ad lines was stripped and didn't hold. I called a local parts store and they had one in stock so I picked it up this morning and got it all put together, bleed out all the air. All that's left to do is get it aligned which should happen tomorrow morning.
20190706_131719.jpg
20190706_162158.jpg
Rear diff end gaskets on the SS.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
View attachment 89783
View attachment 89784
Rack on the Voy. Started the project yesterday but ran into a few issue with the rack I got from Detroit Axle seems the bolt hole for the bracket ad lines was stripped and didn't hold. I called a local parts store and they had one in stock so I picked it up this morning and got it all put together, bleed out all the air. All that's left to do is get it aligned which should happen tomorrow morning.
View attachment 89785
View attachment 89786
Rear diff end gaskets on the SS.
And you didn't call me to help with the rack like you said you would last year? :rotfl:

Put gas in her. That's about it. Oh and checked the oil. Did that too. Actually I bolted the inverter down too... I did stuff okay.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
And you didn't call me to help with the rack like you said you would last year? :rotfl:

Put gas in her. That's about it. Oh and checked the oil. Did that too. Actually I bolted the inverter down too... I did stuff okay.
I actually forgot we talked about that. Lol. It wasn't as fun as fun as I thought it would be.
I was planning on using my brother lift to help ease some of the heavy lifting but that didn't work out because he had a project already on it.20190705_125623.jpg

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
This past week I put over 1000 miles on it for a round trip to Williamsburg for vacation with the family. Blasted through the mountains in WV and passed a few broke down Fords on the way that couldn't deal with those mountain climbs apparently. 208k and going strong!

My wife came up with a little ditty after we passed another (newer) ford truck on the shoulder with its hood popped:

Ford on the mountain,
Walking the rest of the way,
Chasing the rainbow
For a new car to pay!

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Had a bit of a scare today morning. Was late to a breakfast with a friend. Got in the TB and it wouldn't start! Thought it was the battery, tried to charge the battery and start it. Nothing. Remembered I had the low fuel light pop up from my city run yesterday which was over 7 hrs of city driving 😱. Got the Jerry can out and after a few litres fired back up like a champ.

First time its happened to me cause I'm usually cautious about making sure the car is not running low on fuel, as I tend to refuel around the 3/4 th mark.

Other than that the breakfast turned to brunch 😋. Planning on changing my HID bulbs tomorrow hopefully

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pulled the console lid out of the TB to finally repair it after a little motivation from watching MAY03LT's vid on repairing his. Well to my dismay there were 20 some odd pieces floating around in there and the whole lid is actually broken in half, I guess that happens after it's been broke for 5 years. Got a few chunks curing now, will let it rest till Tuesday then do some more. I'm remembering how much I hate (suck at) arts and crafts after working on gluing the pieces back together.

Reactions: Eric04 and Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Yeah, mine's broken again too, have been too lazy to take it out and mess with it. Just keep trying to lean in other places that are still solid.

Decided to finally investigate why my steering wheel radio buttons like to rearrange their assignments. Couldn't find any damaged wiring, or loose connections, so I was stumped. Instead of trying to bang my head and figure out what caused it, I just reprogrammed the radio to play nice with the new resistance values.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Decided to finally investigate why my steering wheel radio buttons like to rearrange their assignments. Couldn't find any damaged wiring, or loose connections, so I was stumped. Instead of trying to bang my head and figure out what caused it, I just reprogrammed the radio to play nice with the new resistance values.

While he was doing that, we were trouble shooting my own steering wheel buttons too. I recently added buttons to my steering wheel but couldnt get the audio buttons to function. Purchased the aswc-1 axxess interface and after a lot of trial and error and reaching out to others, we finally got it to play nice with my head unit 😄. I just needed to tap the resistance wire of the interface and not the data wire that instructions called for. Then, like Carlton, I have to program the individual buttons for the rest of the functions.

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
One thing leading to another. Was fine yesterday, came home at night parked it. Got in it in the morning and it wouldn't start. This time it's the battery 🤦‍♂️. And I've parked it in such a way that I can't access the battery easily 😬. So took off the headlights to fix the projectors and change the bulbs for now

Snapchat-1498618649.jpg

I'm getting quite good at removing the grill and headlights now 😂

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Wrapped up my steering wheel swap and programmed all the buttons to my liking. I've been getting more and more irritated with my A Pillar gauge pod setup lately so i decided to get away from the ricer look and clean up the interior a bit. Removed my rear wiper switch, Put my fuel pressure gauge where the dash plug went, trans temp gauge where the wiper switch was at, and then Trevor's vent pod houses my aeroforce gauge.
20190709_205840.jpg20190709_211656.jpg

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Wrapped up my steering wheel swap and programmed all the buttons to my liking. I've been getting more and more irritated with my A Pillar gauge pod setup lately so i decided to get away from the ricer look and clean up the interior a bit. Removed my rear wiper switch, Put my fuel pressure gauge where the dash plug went, trans temp gauge where the wiper switch was at, and then Trevor's vent pod houses my aeroforce gauge.
View attachment 89850View attachment 89851

Gotta say that looks sick!!!! Something to work towards with my TB

Still dead on my side. Removed the battery which was in great shape as you can see. Hopefully I can get a replacement by tonight as the other truck is quite busy as well with the old man

20190710_114037.jpg

20190710_114041.jpg

This was all it was putting out

20190710_113419.jpg

Mar 30, 2016
KSA
Replaced the battery on my TB early in the morning. Dropped my Dad off at work, came back got to work on the Yukon. It was weird at first once you put the key in the ignition the dials would power and then suddenly go off again and then come back on. Tried to jump start didn't work. Sad about to get on the cables from the battery when I noticed the negative slot on the battery was not right which was causing the problem. Swapped my new battery in and it fired up like a champ! Now all that's left is to go and gloat to the old man on what a huggggeeee job it was 😂😁😁

Attachments

• 20190711_151811.jpg
    20190711_151811.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 2

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Anybody know if the terminals of the harness going to the battery can be changed? Or do you have to change the whole harness itself. There's quite a bit of rusting on my dad's truck was thinking of changing them for newer ones

You'd probably have to cut the wires, strip back some insulation and either crimp or solder new terminals on.

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So far a new CV and hub on drivers side. had planned on brakes, but pads are 50% or better and rotor looked good. After lunch I get to do driver side hub and then check out rear brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online