What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Here is the knock sensor pigtail I replaced. Not as much fun as I anticipated but at least it was done in a warm garage. Used a heat shrink butt connector with another sleeve of heat shrink tube over it all.

Attachments

• KS1.jpg
    KS1.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 9
  • KS2.jpg
    KS2.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 9

EPfiffner

Jun 11, 2018
Canton, Ohio
Here is the knock sensor pigtail I replaced. Not as much fun as I anticipated but at least it was done in a warm garage. Used a heat shrink butt connector with another sleeve of heat shrink tube over it all.
Definitely looks like it needed replaced! Sounds like a good repair.

New GM parts = fuel tank back in! Started right up, runs great, no leaks.
IMG_20190216_121956625.jpg

Here's a pic of a spare tire that's probably never been down for 14 years in the rust belt.
IMG_20190216_145740718.jpg

I soaked the winch in a bucket of oil for a week and reinstalled it, seems to still work well.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Since it was so nice and warm yesterday, -15C!!!!! but with a -28 windchill... I ran out to double check the sway bar bushing fitment on the TB. The ACDelco blue fronts and the Moog blue rears fit like a glove!! Now I have to wait until next week when it warms up even more and can start the process of removing the factory sway bar end links... Thinking I might try and remove the uppers all the way around and remove the sway bar and end links as a unit so I can bring the thing inside and work on it. The sway bar has to come down anyway for the new bushings...

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Finally found and eliminated a squeak from my rear I've been trying to find for the past 2 years. Lower control arm bushings were shot and dry rotted, passenger side bolts leading to the frame were not even hand tight when putting a wrench to it. Picked up a pair of Moog "R" series, took her on a nice ride and what a difference in handling, and its nice and quiet. Well....aside from the squeaking I'm getting from the driver side front. Thinking its the UCA bushing that's shot. Ugh.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Mu front passenger side bushing squeaked for 2 years. Then I lifted my Trailblazer, changing the rest position, amd it stopped squeaking 🤣

I drove my Silverado to work today, getting mildly annoyed at the remaining thunk underneath and belt drive squeak. When the weather and schedule both cooperate at the same time I'll be doing some investigating and minor repair/maintenance stuff to it.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Tracked down this sporadic rattling in the front of the truck. Turns out my billet grille is the culprit. Even though the zip ties are tight, the rungs are flexing enough to contact the grille. So going to see how things go without it for a while. Please forgive the dirt, I know she needs a bath...

tcurlee

Mar 28, 2015
Sorry
Please post a separate thread in the tech section for questions. Some people don't read these threads.
Yeah Mooseman ,,,, probably shoulda thought to do that.
anyway, found some youtube stuff on it - none of it extremely helpful but just enough to help me figure my stuff out. Turns out there's a rod that connects the bracket to the door/hinge that was rusted through. I actually had to drill it out of the bracket as it was rust-welded in. I guess 14 years and 200,000 miles was just too much for it. I had a large cotter pin that fit and worked. This job is not as easy as it seems. That metal spring/band is no joke. So,, that's what I did with my Envoy today ! I'll mention it in the tech section

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Put 4 new tires on the blue Sierra (got a deal on some BFG Commercial T/A in 265/70/17). That was after installing the new battery I got for it, since the one that came with the truck would not even charge.

Today was the first time I drove that truck since I had put the diff carrier bearing caps back on & re-installed everything back on the axle.

Oh, man, does that axle sound bad now...LOTS of different noises coming from it. 😨

Only drove it 6 miles each way for the tires...wondering if I should have it flatbedded to the shop that's going to rebuild it starting on Monday (and it's only about 12mi away from me).

On a good note - when I spoke to the shop yesterday to go over the parts I sourced for it, before I brought it in -- they were impressed. Not that I had to turn heaven & earth to get them - I simply bought a 'master rebuild kit' from Yukon Gear. And a new gasket for the cover, because it's specific to that axle.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Replaced coil pack #3, removed a screw in my back tire and plugged the hole.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Gave the Envoy a good wash. I'm seeing white splotches in certain parts of the hood, looks like the clear coat was eaten through. Hoping for a nicer day soon so I can attempt taking the polisher to it and seeing if i can try getting out with some compound and polish. Got my new brake lines in and picked up a bottle or too of brake fluid to attempt replacing my front lines this weekend hopefully.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Getting a new Duracell AGM battery today, my current battery is struggling after years and the cold.

The battery I'm getting is a top and side post, what did you guys with the top post do about the battery box/cover? I'm thinking about using a hole saw to cut some relief holes where the top posts will be.

Reactions: Mooseman

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Installed led strips that light up the floorboards. Any color and can go along with your music or just fade whatever colors you wants.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Took it back to the Ford dealer that did the oil change over the weekend. Have some mysterious pools of oil and coolant on my shop floor. Turns out the tech didnt bother to remove the skid plate, and the oil is pooled up on it. And the coolant leak... Well we could not figure out where its coming from. Radiator, water pump, main cooling hoses, and heater core hoses, are all dry. Its coming from the passenger front lower part of the engine... Just cant see where.

tcurlee

Mar 28, 2015
The 05 Envoy hit 200,000 miles today on I-95 S on my way to work. The old girl is going strong thanks to this site and all you handy mechanical people. Still rolling all original.

Attachments

• 75EE5F62-6F4E-49DF-AAAD-F042F002E8BC.jpeg
    75EE5F62-6F4E-49DF-AAAD-F042F002E8BC.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 9

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Oil change for the TB and wife's Rav4.

Reactions: BrianF

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Put some new tires on the Silverado. The Bridgestone Dueler A/T revo2's that I got a deal on a year ago only lasted 20k. Went with Yokohama Geolandar A/T GO15 in the LT flavor for the more aggressive and deeper tread design (18/32"). So far so good, have had them a few days and all seems well, plenty of wet traction, we've gotten 3 inches of rain since I got them put on lol. Slight tire noise but nothing aggressive.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
On the GMT400, I played around with the EGR solenoid some. With the new solenoid and the old valve, it really cleaned up the bog, to the point where it was almost non existent. As of today the bog was back and almost as bad as it was before. I inspected the wiring harness and found one of the wires was almost frayed through. I think a new harness is in order.

On the GMT360, I put the back on ramps and tried to crack the rear, upper end link bolts loose. Well they did crack loose before spinning the end link. Once the weather warms up more I will continue to work them loose with some penetrant oil. I have put this job off for the last month as the weather was "supposed" to warm up but just as it got to single - digits, it will be back down to -30 for the weekend. Maybe next week??

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Left it by itself in the local Walmart car park last night. Chanin called and her car had taken a shit and wouldn't start. I bailed from Lowes and jumped it, got it home where it died before making it into the garage. Took the battery out and went to Walmart to have it tested.

It was so low on charge it wouldn't test so they kept it to charge overnight. Got into my truck, turned the key and nothing, just a small click. Battery has plenty of juice, so I suspect the starter solenoid or the ignition switch. (I'll post a new thread)

Went to Walmart this morning and her battery has a dead cell. They replaced it (bought 11/09/18) threw it in her car and it started right up. As a precaution, I tested the alternator and it's charging fine, so that was a freebie.

UPDATE: Starter was toast. So bad in fact, that my mechanic beating on it while I was trying to start it did nothing. So, $75 for a tow and $475 for a new starter and labour. They said that the armature was broken along with a weak solenoid. They tested it off the truck and it barely turned over.

Last edited:

Eric04

Dec 3, 2014
West Michigan
I have been nursing a weak battery along for weeks now. I'd put it on the trickle charger when not driving the TB for more than a day and this generally kept it working OK. However, this week I had a day leaving work when the crank was horribly weak so my cheap ass finally bought a new one today. I cleaned the throttle body too since the battery was out for over an hour and it had been awhile since I'd cleaned it. Point of interest, Walmart is $50 cheaper on comparable batteries compared to the big auto chains. 8766387664

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Did some diagnostic research on my K1500. Constant Code 43, even with the new pigtail and KS. Learned that the ESC is now built into the PCM. Now I have to test the resistance of the KS, check to see if it has any AC output and the single wire from the PCM should provide a 5 volt (guessing DC) reference signal when the engine is running. So I should be able to pick up that 5 volts at the new connector if it is hooked up properly.

I don't have long enough leads on my multimeter to test the resistance/continuity of the KS wire from the pigtail to the B15 pin at the PCM..... although I could run a segment of wire from the pin to a location that I could reach with the leads.....

Truck feels a bit underpowered and its fuel economy is about 10 miles per gallon, hand calculated.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well I did some more digging. My pigtail is working and receiving the proper 5V reference. the KS tested at the correct 99.9KV and was kicking out some AC voltage as well.

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
The old KS tested fine at 3.9K ohm and had some DC output when I tested it last. I swapped it back in, took only a few minutes but the piss of coolant on my arm was just stellar. Made sure the pigtail actually had a solid connection as well. Battery disconnect done to reset codes and a test drive. Code was now gone and seemed to drive great. Just need to get some highway miles on it to calculate fuel mileage. Also need to get a timing light on it to verify base and what not.

Had my ten and a half year old daughter driving today in the yard and private laneway. She has been steering for a few years now but in the K1500 she can reach the pedals and I can sit right next to her and help. Had a lot of fun!

Tomorrow I will get the Tb on blocks and cut off the end links. Single negative digits in the forecast!!!!!

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
My wife fixed some fence, worked some horses and then took off for a ride into the valley with a friend. I cleaned out the burn barrel and then onto the Tb. The rear end links and bushings are in now.

I took some pictures but my phone is incapable of sending them via email to my computer. That's what happens when you have a Blackberry on the Bell network. A phone that can barely function as a phone and little to no coverage. Pics or it didn't happen.

I cut both rear links in half with the Sawzall to allow the swaybar to drop out of the way. I then carefully cut and ground the top bolt off the frame mount using a small angle grinder. The bolt on the swaybar was easy, vice grips behind and an impact removed the bolt in a hurry.

Was -7C or so and was a nice bright day. Surprisingly it was not windy. Great day to get some work done.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I managed to wash my truck yesterday because the lines for the car wash over the weekend were stupid.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I left the stupid hard rain power wash mine!

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
Last week, when my Michelin X-Ice went to 2½/32nd and would not clean out existing snow very well... I found 4 used Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV 235/65R17 XL snow tires.. $300 not bad since there is only a bit of lingering winter weather right now. Strange name for tires so I had to look up the meaning of: Hakkapeliitta.. not being Finnish and all that....
Hakkapeliitta is a historiographical term used for a Finnish light cavalryman in the service of King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden during the Thirty Years' War. Hakkapeliitta is a 19th-century Finnish modification of a contemporary name given by foreigners in the Holy Roman Empire and variously spelled as Hackapelit, Hackapelite, Hackapell, Haccapelit, or Haccapelite. These terms were based on a Finnish battle cry hakkaa päälle, commonly translated as "Cut them down!" The hakkapeliitta-style cavalry was first used during the Polish-Swedish Wars of the late 16th century. In the early 17th century the cavalry led by the Field Marshal Jacob De la Gardie participated in campaigns against Poland and Russia. The Hakkapeliitta cavalry men led by Field Marshal Gustaf Horn were vital to the Swedish victories in Germany during the Thirty Years' War. Finnish military march Hakkapeliittain Marssi is named after hakkapeliittas. I'm finding that I actually like these tires..

Attachments

• Nokian1.jpg
    Nokian1.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Nokian2.jpg
    Nokian2.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Nokian3.jpg
    Nokian3.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Nokian4.jpg
    Nokian4.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Nokian5.jpg
    Nokian5.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Nokian6.jpg
    Nokian6.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
Last night I decided to replace my headlight washer pump.... which I figured was bad because someone let it freeze.. a long time ago.. I'm pretty sure the picture proves that.. but I did break the outlet going to the headlights... getting the aged line on. They still don't work so.. going to check the relay .. which seems to have been installed backwards.. but still don't work.. going to check the two nozzles to see if they also froze..

Attachments

• HeadlampPump2.jpg
    HeadlampPump2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 4

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Attempted to do the front sway bar bushings on the Avalanche. Had the lower bolts done, but my angle adapter snapped into two from where they meet and attach to the extension. I still don't understand how GM thought running the sway bar about an inch and a half away from the upper bolts was a smart move. Damn things are a pain to get out, while the lowers could be done with just an extension alone. The rears are done, so I hit the upper and lower front bolts again with some PB Blaster. I bought a new set of adapters and sockets from HF to get the job done tomorrow.

Of course, the tweeter inside the driver A-pillar took a crap. So now the front sounds "muted" on that side. Installed the new front parking/turning lamps after the old ones were horribly faded and the mounting clips that kept them in place were broken.

Envoy I'm still trying to track down my power sapping gremlins. I think it might have been caused by my Dashcam being plugged into the front 12V outlet running all the time. I was no aware that those outlets are set to be "hot" all the time. Haven't started her since Saturday, so I plan on trying tomorrow or Wednesday to see if my guess was correct or not. Usually took two days of sitting to see the battery depleted. I also attempted to do an oil change which got put on the back burner. Bought one on Amazon, it was supposed to arrive today. Got the notification at work that it was delivered. Opened the app to view the image and it was an flat shipping envelope. No filter, then had the Amazon rep tell me that it must be a small item and got lost. You don't lose something that is the size of coffee cup.:hissyfit:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Not the TB but I got the alternator on the Rav. We'll (my tame mechanic and I) are going to try and roll the belt back on without taking the tensioner off...I tried yesterday and the top bolt doesn't want to move, unlike the other two, and I don't want to force it too much because if it breaks, the engine has to come out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Last night I decided to replace my headlight washer pump.... which I figured was bad because someone let it freeze.. a long time ago.. I'm pretty sure the picture proves that.. but I did break the outlet going to the headlights... getting the aged line on. They still don't work so.. going to check the relay .. which seems to have been installed backwards.. but still don't work.. going to check the two nozzles to see if they also froze..

You do know how those work on these wacky Saabs? For every 4 times you use the windshield washer, it activates the headlight washers. Jump the relay to test the pump and washers.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Spent 2hrs under the tan Sierra this morning cleaning off & trying to locate the pinhole(s) on the t-case where the fluid would be leaking from. Could not find any (yes, I know where to look!)

Pretty bummed @ that. Checked the fluid level; it's low, but not dry, like I found it last time. Didn't even top it off -- just reinstalled the bolt & put the front end back on the ground.

It'll go in for emissions testing, since I got the notice (another selling enticement), and then I'll transfer the plates & park it in the driveway until a buyer comes calling for it. Utterly done with this truck. Time to move on.

Then I have to take the Voy in for her emissions test.
Why can't IL be like Ontario? LOL

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Got it stuck..... IN MY BACKYARD! And its 4WD! No pics, to busy trying to get it unstuck and parked so I could get inside to take care of baby..

• Wow

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
Relay was in backward.. you have to be in drive, headlights on .. actually every third press of the washer button.. only the passenger side works... the hose to the drivers side runs in a channel next to the radiator... I have to drive into town tomorrow maybe it will warm the hose up enough to let washer fluid get to that one.. or maybe that one is bad.. attaching more pictures of the inside of the pump... looks like someone had water only in it when it froze.

Attachments

• HeadlampPump4.jpg
    HeadlampPump4.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 4
  • HeadlampPump5.jpg
    HeadlampPump5.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 4
  • HeadlampPump6.jpg
    HeadlampPump6.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 4
  • HeadlampPump7.jpg
    HeadlampPump7.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 4

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Long story, buts it what I did with my XUV today.. Its my good deed for the day!

So we are in full on blizzard conditions. power poles snapping, lines breaking, cars and trucks wrecking all over town. Power went out at work, transformer blew. They sent us home as the power company is not sending anyone out until the wind dies down from the 60-80mph that its currently at. So I left work, and headed home..

Get about 5 miles from my house, I see a Dodge Journey FWD in a ditch nose first, guy behind the wheel, and kids in the back seat. Light damage to the front end of his truck, but its completely stuck. I put my Envoy into 4x4, drove thru the ditch, and backed in behind it. Realizing at this point, I have a light vest on, and no other gear, I now know I am going to FREEZE! Grabbed my tow strap, and hooked it onto his rear axle. I start pulling, back up, pull forward. Took about 10 tries before his front wheels even touched the ground. The guy behind the wheel is just flooring it (Californian, never seen snow before), and is just digging holes. Get out, tell him to put it into Neutral, and I will do all the pulling. 3 more good yanks, and he is now on solid ground.

I pull my truck up the slight hill back to the street, and pull over to make sure he can get up the slight hill... He cant. Multiple tries, and its just not going anywhere. I get out of my truck, tell him to jump in the passenger seat of his truck, and let me drive. I hope in, turn off the traction control, back up, wait for traffic to clear, and get it out of the ditch on the first try.... His car slides completely across the road, and hits the rear drivers side wheel of my truck. No damage to my truck, and his front end is already wasted from going into the ditch. He says dont worry about it, tosses me a 50 dollar bill.

I hope back into my truck, and head on home. Its bloody cold out there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher