What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Advance Auto has a $30 discount for friend referrals. The referring person get's $10 and the referral get's $30 off. I hate Advance Auto, but I needed a few AC Delco parts and they had them, so the $30 discount was nice.

Attachments

• AU Refer Friend.JPG
    AU Refer Friend.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Mooseman

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
I found this great online used tire shop. They have fairly cheap priced tires, depending on tread depth.

They ship all tires on fed-ex 2 day shipping. I ordered 2 sets of tires and got both orders in a day or two. They are based in Chicago, IL, so mileage may vary.

You may not want to buy an entire set of new tires from them, but this is a great option if you blow out a tire and have an AWD vehicle that requires all tires to be very close in tread depth.

The tires also carry a 30-90 warranty.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Picked up my truck yesterday. Yay.

Now gotta deal with the $300 rental car bill because his insurance (USAA) decided it shouldn't have taken this long and I should have had the shop look at it, order parts, then drop it off for repair and get the rental then, all after the fact and without informing me of this (I had no idea). So they backdated the rental agreement to the 1st. Oh, they put me in a larger rental so it cost me that much more. This is all AFTER I checked on the date because when the 1st came and the truck wasn't ready I asked about it and was told there was no end date set.

Argh.

• Angry
Reactions: Matt

EPfiffner

Jun 11, 2018
Canton, Ohio
Well this was Tuesday, but...

watched 'er come home on a flatbed. Quit on my wife making a right turn.

Gas a spewing out of the top of the tank = rusted line in to sending unit.

I can't actually see it, but enough of a bettin' man to have already ordered a delco setup from RA.

she was mostly upset about getting mud and gas on her nice white Adidas, lol

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Getting tired off ppl not posting pic's with there post's on this thread. It didn't happen if there aren't any pic's.

While at my brothers shop and had some time drove in and swapped out my blinker switch. 87430

Added bonus pic.
Some of the toys my brother is doing work on.87434

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Filled her up with a bunch of dexcool. Getting kind of worried because I just filled it up a few months ago. :mad: :frown:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Could be radiator cap.

I drove it to work. Felt good to be driving it again. Definitely prefer it over the F150 I drove one day as a rental.

Sucky part is I heard and felt that clunk from the front left a couple times. Just so random when I'll hear it but when I do it is typically very loud and noticeable.

Reactions: Matt and wstuckey1

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Yesterday I thawed out my GMT400, GMC 1500 rez rocket in the garage bay at work. After I installed the new EGR solenoid, O2 sensor, T-stat and cap/rotor/wires.

Big difference every part made. The old cap/rotor/wires were some unknown aftermarket parts. The aluminum terminals were well worn and corroded. The connections in the plug wires were so-so. Some were full of rust. The cap was loose and the rotor was well worn and showed signs of arcing. The new, cheapo United parts were decent quality silicone wires, all brass terminals. This really cleaned up the engine. Idles smoother and cleanly pulls through the RPM range now. I have a straight pipe, true dual exhaust with no crossover so it was obvious which bank of cylinders were firing right and which were not. It sounds really good now..... I really need mufflers as I feel like a 16 year old white trash kid driving circles around town during school lunch hour.

The O2 sensor (ACDelco Professional) was original as far as I could tell. Without testing it, who knows how well it operated. It came out easy using a wrench and the new one slid right back in. The old one appeared original that would be 26 years and 374,000km.

EGR solenoid (ACDelco Professional) was a simple swap. I had done a hobo test and cleaning of the EGR valve. It "appeared" to hold vacuum and did move somewhat freely. Now I should have bit the bullet and ordered a new one and will do so in the near future. It almost cured the low speed stumble that plagued the truck. It is barely noticeable from a dead stop now. I blocked the vacuum line from it until I get the new valve. So it still throws a code 32. Valve and solenoid look original too.

New T-stat (ACDelco Professional) was a somewhat simple swap. I should have drained more coolant first but was on a time crunch so I just winged it. Minimal loss but just a pain in the ass. Oh well it went in fine and really cleaned up the operating temp. The old one was lazier than a passed out rubbie. Now she warms faster and throws a ton of heat in the cab. Old one appeared original.

Just waiting on the Delphi knock sensor and then will install the new pigtail. Hopefully this will cure the code 43.

Attachments

• IMG_20190208_182007.jpg
    IMG_20190208_182007.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Old O2 sensor.jpg
    Old O2 sensor.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 11

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Triumph and failure, because roadkill. Finished up the shift kit install and topped her off with dexron. Start her up and drop her in reverse, all is good. Thats about when the brake pedal went to the floor suddenly and there was a puddle of brake fluid under the rear... So that was my day.

WTF happened?
Got her on a flat bed to have it looked at tomorrow by my indy shop mechanic. View attachment 87444

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Triumph and failure, because roadkill. Finished up the shift kit install and topped her off with dexron. Start her up and drop her in reverse, all is good. Thats about when the brake pedal went to the floor suddenly and there was a puddle of brake fluid under the rear... So that was my day.

WTF happened?
Cranks but wont start. She recently threw a p0560 but cleared up after few days, could be a shot throttle body but I was to far from anyone I know to diagnose. I had the family with me so had my b-I-l pick up the family and take them home while I waited for a tow. It could even be the Delphi fuel pump I put in recently I've heard they aren't any good. I'm lost at this point Hopefully my mechanic will be able to get me some answers tomorrow afternoon.

EPfiffner

Jun 11, 2018
Canton, Ohio
Dropped the tank. Not too bad, pretty heavy when half full. The filler neck hose did not want to come off!
I broke my new Christmas present creeper, just not built for real wrenching.

The pics of the tank is exactly how it looked when I got it out. See the blue and yellow o-rings? It wasn't that the sending unit rusted out, something happened that the pressure line fitting's innards came apart! The clip seems still intact.

Luckily RA shows the pressure line, so I'm going to order that.

I'm going to replace the pump module since I ordered it, and then it'll all be new. It looks like the tank may have been out before. Those zip ties don't look factory, and see how there is tape around the eval line?

Moral of the story is you can't just assume the sending unit rusted out I guess.IMG_20190209_141206935.jpgIMG_20190209_132733123.jpgIMG_20190209_132906416.jpgIMG_20190209_132838749.jpgIMG_20190209_141226894.jpgIMG_20190209_132803714.jpg

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
6-hi mod on the Silverado. Took me way too long to get this done. Had three failed attempts over a year or so and finally got it right on the fourth try today lol. Forgot how diodes worked and all images I looked at directed to use them backwards so it never worked. Finally dialed up a how-to on here and relearned which way to use them.

Pretty much have "8-hi" now? Since DRL's are on too now after the DRL/Turn mod.

EPfiffner

Jun 11, 2018
Canton, Ohio
@EPfiffner are you replacing the pump while you're at it?
Absolutely. The new one is in, and I smeared grease on top of it to hopefully hold down the rust.

Unfortunately I broke the nipple off of that white thing on the tank.
Some of the speed nuts where missing from the heat shield, so it dropped down and yanked on it.IMG_20190210_123101564.jpgIMG_20190210_173727336.jpg
Doesn't look to be a replaceable part.

Reactions: Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Brake lines. Check. Trans fixed. Check. Feeling you get when you drive it and it only has 1st and 3rd... priceless.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
My mechanic called and confirmed to me it was a faulty fuel pump. 87470
Lucky for me I get to return the faulty unit for a full refund. 87471
After an unforeseen amount of cash shes back on the road and we are happy to have her back.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
My mechanic called and confirmed to me it was a faulty fuel pump.

I hated doing mine once, I'd be absolutely acid having to do it again because the pump was faulty.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I hated doing mine once, I'd be absolutely acid having to do it again because the pump was faulty.
Honestly I didn't think it was that bad of a job...

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Took me the decent part part of a day to do it but that was including some mishaps like tearing a plug apart and having to fix it. I didn’t think it was too bad of a job though.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Took me the decent part part of a day to do it but that was including some mishaps like tearing a plug apart and having to fix it. I didn’t think it was too bad of a job though.
Luckily my tank only had 10 gallons in it both times I did it too so there is that.

Reactions: wstuckey1

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Luckily my tank only had 10 gallons in it both times I did it too so there is that.

My tank had about a gallon or 2 in it when I did mine. Took me about 5 hours but getting it out and putting it back in wasn't the bitch, it was the bloody electrical connection you have to plug in after you put the tank almost all the way back up that got me. 45 minutes and I still have the scar 6 months later from my arm rubbing on the frame...that part SUCKED!

Reactions: wstuckey1

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
My tank had about a gallon or 2 in it when I did mine. Took me about 5 hours but getting it out and putting it back in wasn't the bitch, it was the bloody electrical connection you have to plug in after you put the tank almost all the way back up that got me. 45 minutes and I still have the scar 6 months later from my arm rubbing on the frame...that part SUCKED!
I left the tank on my stomach with me under the truck for that part, my plug was long enough to get it from there. it sucked but worked.

Reactions: Matt and wstuckey1

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
45 minutes and I still have the scar 6 months later from my arm rubbing on the frame...that part SUCKED!
When I was running the tube for my air compressor I had to reach through a tight spot and I scratched my arm on a cut off zip tie. Still have a scar from that. Lol

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
For the last few months, I've been moving, so last Thursday when we drove into town and filled the tank on our Envoy, much to my surprise we drove home in the limp home mode. Had the famous P1512 and P1515 codes set.
The weather has been crazy here, as it has in other parts of the country, so driving my 2-wheel drive out into the blizzard didn't happen. Monday I ventured out and stopped by an Autozone store and picked up a can of Throttle Body cleaner. Today I went out and pulled the TB off and cleaned it. Put it back together, test drove it and it seems to be working fine. I'll take it out for a longer drive tomorrow.
The 120 mile trip over the mountains, towing a trailer, doesn't seem like it would be very much fun in the limp home mode. Hopefully this problem doesn't come back.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
lol I completely forgot about our conversation, and was like WTF is that about? :duh: :crazy:

• Haha
Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
lol I completely forgot about our conversation, and was like WTF is that about? :duh::crazy:
PM me your address I might be able to ship it out tomorrow.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
WOW... Thats uhh... Thats uhm.... Thats a LOT of pink!

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Escalade is a STUD now.

Reactions: Matt and xavierny25

tcurlee

Mar 28, 2015
The fuel filler door on my 05 Envoy was beginning to sag downwards a bit but operated ok. Stupid me tried to gently push it back up a bit and something snapped in there somewhere. It doesn't flop all the way open now but it doesn't close either. Is there a thread on this somewhere? I couldn't find one -- or maybe some advice from someone who has had this happen to them ??

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Changed the oil on the Silverado @128k. Went with my usual oversized wix and found Napa synthetic oil (made by valvoline) for $3.99 a quart and went with that instead of my usual max life. Also went up to 10w30 to see if it'll help consumption and lifter tick/piston slap when cold.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Thicker probably won't help cold noise because it won't flow as well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
. Is there a thread on this somewhere? I couldn't find one -- or maybe some advice from someone who has had this happen to

Please post a separate thread in the tech section for questions. Some people don't read these threads.

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Sitting at the Ford dealer waiting for an oil change.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Short while ago, pick up a set of wiper blades for the Voy at Autozone.87511
Went with 24" for the drivers side and stock 22" for the passenger side.

Earlier: Finished up the brake work on the replacement calipers and brackets.
Stored away till next Friday install day! Woohoo

@TollKeeper Hey look a little more pink. No worries there will be plenty more parts to be coated along the way for My Voy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.