What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Appreciate the confirmation on the front diff. I know I'm getting more familiar with the truck if I can think of something like that, and not have to spend big time researching it (almost all YT vids showing this on the full-size are on 2wd units, btw).

I may get the pan gasket as soon as tomorrow (it's being sent from a whse in Chicago metro area). By EOW, it'll probably be getting fixed; either by me, or by someone else. Tired of seeing new oil stains on my garage floor / driveway.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Took the Sierra to the mechanic today (I can hear the collective 'gasp!' from the forum already...lol)

He's gonna do the oil pan gasket "if it needs it" (he suspects the sending unit up top, so we'll see).

Since I start a new job on Monday, and I need a break from having the Sierra in the garage, decided to let a pro wrench on it for a bit & let me know if the truck is worth hanging onto, relative to what I want to do to it over the winter (towing cam / lifters / springs, TBSS intake, exhaust), along with all the other little goodies that should be done with all of that (timing chain, water pump, etc., etc.)

I should have the truck back and his opinion by EOD tomorrow. :squint:

Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In mild (for here anyway) 0c, I replaced the fuel rail with new injectors and installed my winter tires. Took about 4 hours total.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
2 degrees c today so washed all the salt off her and tucked her away into the heated garage for the night.

I love heated garages. Its so nice to come out to my truck, listening to all my neighbors scraping ice and snow off their rides, and I just start up the truck, turn the heated seat on low, open the garage door and back out.

But when I come out of work... GRR!!!!! Wheres my heated garage now Mother F&*^&%^%*!

smt 59

I love heated garages. Its so nice to come out to my truck, listening to all my neighbors scraping ice and snow off their rides, and I just start up the truck, turn the heated seat on low, open the garage door and back out.

But when I come out of work... GRR!!!!! Wheres my heated garage now Mother F&*^&%^%*!
Same here except when I’m in on ot and I pull it in the bays that are heated and I will almost always wash her.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Gas...

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Took her for a drive on a shopping trip to Princess Auto, then get her oil sprayed for that protection, then a CASE relearn.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Got the tires rotated and balanced. Figured out where the banging in my right front is coming from. The insulator for where the strut bolt goes into the lower control is gone! Does this mean I have to replace the lower control arm?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: Redbeard

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well the GMT400 had some attention. Was tracing its code 43 issue. I have to retry probing the knock sensor to see what its resistance is and also its output when one bangs on the engine. I was having issues getting a good reading while laying on the ground so I will need to get it on ramps one some not frozen ground. Also checked to see that the fuel pump relay was working by back probing the OBD1 connector. The relay is just fine.

The Tb developed another shake the other day and had to swap out yet another tire. The front pass side bulged. What I can say is that the Dorman spare tire winch still works and the cable appears in good shape thus far.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
With the cold weather, the TB is running colder, gauge staying one tick to the left. Torque confirmed it's hanging around 180f when moving but almost makes it to 190f when stopped. Tried a piece of cardboard in front of the rad, same thing. If I rev it while stopped, it drops. Ordered a t-stat from RA. it's a Mahle, which according to pics, is exactly the same as the ACDelco. It was cheaper as well as the shipping for some reason by a couple of bucks. Just sucks that I will be doing this in the middle of winter.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Dropped the Tahoe off at the dealer. Free lifetime oil changes with mobil 1 and I can bring it whenever I want? Yes.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Tire rotation and balance.. Now my knocking in my front passenger front end is gone.. WTF?

Reactions: Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Had the urge to Seafoam my engine, hadn't done it in a few years. Sometimes when I've done it, nice smoke show. Other times when I've done it, whole lotta nothin. This time, happened to have my cell phone USB cam, so pulled the spark plug out of cylinder 2 for a peek. (honestly, I have no idea if this is good/bad/in the middle)

181221_092752.jpg

Had mom be my assistant and hold the RPMs steady, while I sprayed through the intake. No preliminary smoke during, and no smoke after the soaking period. So much for that...

Got a new microphone for the head unit, so tested that out, and ran it up into the overhead console replacing the old one. Also got a new camera for it, the backup cam I had before looks terrible with the larger screen. Needed to get something with higher resolution. New camera works great, has the option for guide lines, and mirroring the image, but I can't figure out where I want to mount it. I like having it in the trailer hitch, so it's out of the way, and no holes needed to be drilled. Due to the shape though, can't flush mount it like the old one.

Tried it above the license plate, meh... Don't wanna deal with fishing wire through the boot and into the lift gate. Thought about putting it next to the cargo area light on the roof. Much better vantage point, but that gives only a slightly smaller blind spot than using the rear view mirror. :undecided: So I tried mounting it to the lift gate upper trim plastic. It might work... Can still see a good bit of ground immediately behind the truck, and still good vertical coverage as well. It's currently duct taped in place, and wires loosely routed in the cabin. I'll try that for a few days and see if it grows on me.

The front camera is USB, and none of the apps I wanted to use for DVR could see it. :mad: I was hoping the new camera being RCA, would work fine, but nope... Same issue. Seems the unit only likes the software that came with it, for camera usage. :hopeless: Went ahead and stuck the USB one on the windshield behind the rear view mirror, so it's out of my line of sight. I'll deal with the OEM software and it's extra basic looking interface.

With the engine cooled down, pulled spark plug #2 again, and as expected, looked exactly the same. Good times all around! Will do some more maintenance items during the week since I'll be off.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Hopefully spark plugs?

Reactions: Redbeard

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Update: it's like a new truck.

TB_n00b

Dec 19, 2011
Queens, NY
Ripped out padding under passenger side carpet after yesterday's heavy rain and the infamous mysterious passenger side leak soaked it through. Also found and hopefully fixed what I think caused it, which was the sunroof drain tube was angled upwards at it's end and it allowed water to run back into the car and down the footwell trim. Nothing a zip-tie and some black RTV can't (hopefully) fix.

Attachments

• 20181222_114410.jpg
    20181222_114410.jpg
    675.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20181222_114421.jpg
    20181222_114421.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20181222_114427.jpg
    20181222_114427.jpg
    373.5 KB · Views: 10

I_Shoot_Back

Feb 18, 2018
Ponoka
Launched my black TB of someone's driveway last night,as I got caught in a blizzard and the wind blew me off the road. balls deep in the ditch. Pretty sure I caught air as my head hit the roof when I hit the driveway into this guy's yard,and the landing put quite the jolt on my spine( truck clearly bottomed out). All seems straight but do think it collapsed a strut,strong smell of fuel too. grrrr... Hate Alberta winters.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Important thing you weren't hurt.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Searching for water leaks.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Hopefully this fixes it20181223_143724.jpg

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Put a new battery in my key fob. Was working intermittently and at short range only. Works like a charm now.

Reactions: Matt

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Replaced the passenger side window regulator which completely failed and was stuck partially open. Luckily was able to get one locally. It was a CCC since I had to re-pin the connector as they were reversed. Broke the retaining pins so I RTV'd the wires to the connector, which needed sealing anyway.

While I was there, replaced the stock mirror with a Silverado towing mirror with heat and turn signal. Got the pair from the same place as the regulator. Just the right side is on for now and the wiring to do so looking up the schematics. Too late and cold out now to finish so hopefully I can finish up tomorrow before I head to my mom's for dinner. Need the towing mirrors as I will be pulling my enclosed double sled trailer this weekend to North Bay.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
While I was there, replaced the stock mirror with a Silverado towing mirror with heat and turn signal.

I'm (selfishly) glad you posted this. Do you know if the motors for the retractable ones are in the mirror housing, or in the truck (door?)

Reason I ask - the new Sierra has a set of these; when I asked if they were powered, the owner said "no". However, the switch was the same as on my other Sierra - and sure enough, when I activated it, I could hear motors on each side - but the housings didn't move in either direction.

The turn signal on the driver's side mirror is out, so I'll have to look into that, as well. If the motors are in the housing, then I'll just get one of the aftermarket sets you can find on etrailer, ebay, ewhatever. Unless the motors are field-replaceable and cost less than $300 US or so...

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Mine are not power folding or extending so I couldn't tell you. I couldn't be bothered to get those extra gizmos to work.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Not today, but yesterday.. Wife got me for X-Mas some WeatherTech floor mats and WeatherTech Vent Shades. Floor mats went in easy, no problem there. But the VentShades, what a piss poor design. You are not suppose to cut your self, and bleed on the truck when installing these. These are the in channel ones, and I can already tell they wont last long, but we shall see.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher