What did you do to your GMT today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrek77

Mar 30, 2012
Tinted my headlight housings with the rustoleum tint and I'm not happy with how it sprays. Very uneven an blotchy! But it still looks good from a couple feet back. So I can live with it for now!
View attachment 29008

Attachments

• 2013-06-20 11.44.56.jpg
    2013-06-20 11.44.56.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 2013-06-20 11.45.26.jpg
    2013-06-20 11.45.26.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 29

shrek77

Mar 30, 2012
dmanns67 said:
At least you will be able to see at night this time.

I had the whole thing tinted last night and you could see but lost like half brightness. So I decided to use carb cleaner to take it off of in front of the headlights bulbs and all is good!!!

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
I got my truck tuned today, cost $300 but the guy sat in my truck and changed the settings to the way i liked it while i was driving (pulling over to flash and put new info in)
Firmed the shifts to the max (3) and reduced torque management
Decreased downshift time substantially so as soon as i put my foot down it will down shift and FLY!
Got it tuned to 87 octane but he said i can bring it back and he'll do a 91 octane tune if i want and it'll gain 10+ horsepower
Also now my exhaust system is quiet and my shifts arent jerky
Only when i give her will the shifts really kick and the exhaust will roar

Definitley a must do for anyone who hasnt done it yet

+ i get a $300 discount for a dyno tune to change shift points to get the max out of my voy
Also the guy specializes in turbo builds and has been looking for a 4.2 i6 voy to do a turbo build on but said it would cost around $5000 to do, told me to give him a call if i ever decide i wanna do it but he said he really liked my headlights and is gunna do it to his caddy
But the shop specializes in corvettes, they had at least 6-7 vettes lined up for the dyno tune

Edit: if anyone is wondering he said shift kits, a good CAI intake, high flow cat and exhaust, and 93 octane are the best things to have if you want maximum tuning capabilities
The tranny cant firm up anymore without ruining because GM builds their vehicles thinking they already know what the customer wants

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 25

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
I got my truck tuned today, cost $300 but the guy sat in my truck and changed the settings to the way i liked it while i was driving (pulling over to flash and put new info in)
Firmed the shifts to the max (3) and reduced torque management
Decreased downshift time substantially so as soon as i put my foot down it will down shift and FLY!
Got it tuned to 87 octane but he said i can bring it back and he'll do a 91 octane tune if i want and it'll gain 10+ horsepower
Also now my exhaust system is quiet and my shifts arent jerky
Only when i give her will the shifts really kick and the exhaust will roar

Definitley a must do for anyone who hasnt done it yet

+ i get a $300 discount for a dyno tune to change shift points to get the max out of my voy
Also the guy specializes in turbo builds and has been looking for a 4.2 i6 voy to do a turbo build on but said it would cost around $5000 to do, told me to give him a call if i ever decide i wanna do it but he said he really liked my headlights and is gunna do it to his caddy
But the shop specializes in corvettes, they had at least 6-7 vettes lined up for the dyno tune

Edit: if anyone is wondering he said shift kits, a good CAI intake, high flow cat and exhaust, and 93 octane are the best things to have if you want maximum tuning capabilities
The tranny cant firm up anymore without ruining because GM builds their vehicles thinking they already know what the customer wants

10 HP just from switching to higher octane? Premium in my area is mostly 93... so that would be like 12 HP proportionately, but any HP pickup would be great from the fuel. Plus it runs and burns much cleaner. Just waitin on the old fan clutch to die so i can get the e-fan patch too.

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
DenaliHD66 said:
10 HP just from switching to higher octane? Premium in my area is mostly 93... so that would be like 12 HP proportionately, but any HP pickup would be great from the fuel. Plus it runs and burns much cleaner. Just waitin on the old fan clutch to die so i can get the e-fan patch too.

Yup, when we were driving he said my truck wanted more octane, i dont know how true that was but i'm gunna throw in 91 and see if it makes any difference, if not i'll go back and reprogram for 91 eventually, i just dont want to be paying $1.47 a litre lol

wesman43

Apr 30, 2013
Got my compustar remote start+alarm fixed! The siren wasn't working before, and redid the bump sensor. I can kick the tire and it'll go off now. :thumbup: need to fine tune some more with the settings I like the most

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Ryda55555 said:
Yup, when we were driving he said my truck wanted more octane, i dont know how true that was but i'm gunna throw in 91 and see if it makes any difference, if not i'll go back and reprogram for 91 eventually, i just dont want to be paying $1.47 a litre lol

I've thought about the price difference too, but I think it will yield better gas mileage, given the age of my engine, and since it runs cleaner then the engine will probably last longer so less issues down the road. Just. Waiting. On. That. Damn. Fan. Clutch. (I'm being cheap atm)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I went to premium fuel tune so I could avoid so much ethanol in the fuel. Shit kills MPG and is a killer of engines. Most small engines(weedeater, saw, n such) want premium because ethanol will destroy the seals in them. I did get significant gains though and can really tell a difference in fuel when I tried 89 or just get 91. 92 or 93 and the truck just feels better and the mpg is above what I got w 33s even though I have heavy 35s.

Conner299

Jan 16, 2013
HARDTRAILZ said:
I went to premium fuel tune so I could avoid so much ethanol in the fuel. Shit kills MPG and is a killer of engines. Most small engines(weedeater, saw, n such) want premium because ethanol will destroy the seals in them. I did get significant gains though and can really tell a difference in fuel when I tried 89 or just get 91. 92 or 93 and the truck just feels better and the mpg is above what I got w 33s even though I have heavy 35s.

Besides just messing up the seals, won't the ethanol also attack aluminum components, pitting and corroding them? This is what I've read and heard from different sources. Eventually, I'll be getting a tune. For the time being, I have played around with different types of gas, as well. My TB seems to really like 89. In park and idle, no vibration no matter what I use. In drive, and stopped, the 89 causes the least amount of vibration, that I can feel. MPG's seem to be comparable across the board.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
Premium fuel contains less ethanol? Or the octane protects against the effects of ethanol?

If i understand correctly (and i could be way off base and incorrect) Ethanol lowers octane so it would have to have less in a higher octane fuel. Again, i could be wrong.

EDIT: Nope, im wrong.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
DenaliHD66 said:
Premium fuel contains less ethanol? Or the octane protects against the effects of ethanol?

Not as a rule and unless you test a station's output yourself you're unlikely to know for sure but yes it's possible that premium fuel can contain "less" ethanol depending on what you're comparing it to. Some premium grades at certain gas stations contain 0% ethanol. That said, octane rating can be increased by adding ethanol so it's also possible that some premium branded fuels may use closer to the 10% limit as a means of cheap octane boost. Pump gas is usually listed as containing "up to 10%" ethanol but it's common if not the norm for all grades of fuel to contain less. Some independent but limited testing I've seen shows the majority of fuels don't exceed 7%. In other words there's no hard and fast rule that says premium will usually contain less ethanol than regular grade from the same pump and I wouldn't switch to premium based solely on that suspicion unless you have specific data for your local station.

To my knowledge the levels of iso-octane in fuel has no bearing on the claimed corrosive/damaging effects of ethanol but perhaps some of the additional additives in some premium fuels have some impact.

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I know here in Lebanon, we have ONE station that sells there premium ethanol free, I think its 91 or 93 octane. The Sheriffs Dept has deputies fill up there, I believe city cops do too. I know alot of people tune high powered cars to run E85 because detonation reduction, from what ive read its close to 105 octane.

On another note! I have spent the last few days running wiring to hook up my Hifonics 4ch amp, got the rear passenger door yesterday, started on the fronts today, got the driver front speaker wire ran to find out that spool was long enough to do the passenger rear, passenger front, and driver front door.... So I will have to get another small spool of wire, then the spare can go to wiring up the new sound in the Miata.

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
Alrighty, i had 1/4 tank left so i filled up with 91 shell V-Power nitrogen enriched gas. I think toronto gas stations stopped ethanol additives in gas because it was ruining the seals
Anyways i didnt feel a difference really and was quite dissapointed BUT i went back to the garage that tuned my voy to fix the 1-2 shift stiffness because it was VERY stiff so after they had to reflash my computer (found out he reduced torque management to 11%)
For the time the computer was trying to relearn my voy would take a while to shift and had really soft shifts
But as soon as it learned.... I WAS FLYING, i love it haha
First gear makes the truck very light on its feet going only 15-1600 rpm to get up normal traffic speeds but as soon as second kicks in ( which is a lot less stiff and has a nice firm but not jerky shift ) it flies, the pedal is super responsive and you can feel the pull every time you even give it a little gas
I caught myself having to slam the brakes because i was having soo much fun gassing it.
Next on my performance mod list is E-Fans!

Off the shell website

"Not all premium gasolines are the same. Just like using lower quality regular gasoline can lead to gunky build-up, using lower quality premium gasolines can have the same impact on your engine.

Shell V-Power premium gasoline is designed to deliver optimum performance. Shell V-Power gasoline contains the highest concentration of the Nitrogen Enriched Cleaning System, a unique, patented formula exclusive to Shell. With five times the cleaning agents required by federal standards, Shell V-Power premium gasoline helps remove gunky build-up from your vehicle’s intake valves and fuel injectors and actively protects it from performance-robbing gunk.

Shell V-Power gasoline exceeds the stringent requirements of the world’s top automakers - Audi, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota and Volkswagen – and is certified as a TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. These auto manufacturers recognize that a clean engine allows the engine to perform at optimum efficiency levels and recommend high-quality fuels to power their vehicles."

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
premium gasoline just means you can run more timing without detonation. more timing more power more gooder

your tuner's initial comment about octane was probably because he had to pull timing due to knocking. google search the various keywords i just typed for more info

shell allegedly throws extra detergent in their hi octane, ala techron, etc...

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
jimmyjam said:
premium gasoline just means you can run more timing without detonation. more timing more power more gooder

your tuner's initial comment about octane was probably because he had to pull timing due to knocking. google search the various keywords i just typed for more info

shell allegedly throws extra detergent in their hi octane, ala techron, etc...

That makes a lot of sense because when he was tuning it he kept saying he was surprised it wasnt knocking yet lol
But yea all this techy stuff is too much to try and figure out lol, all i know is i can go FAST and its alot more gooder :rotfl:
Still not or ever will be an SS though
But he said if he installs a turbo we're looking around 120-150hp (cone has to get his on the dyno and see how much gains he got)

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Juicy K said:
I know here in Lebanon, we have ONE station that sells there premium ethanol free, I think its 91 or 93 octane. The Sheriffs Dept has deputies fill up there, I believe city cops do too. I know alot of people tune high powered cars to run E85 because detonation reduction, from what ive read its close to 105 octane.

Our van can use E85 and when you do the MPGs drop so far that it is not worth the savings of the cheap price per gallon.

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Got my exhaust manifold replaced yesterday. Dorman... never got a chance to grind down the rough casting in the ports, oh well. I also bought the Dorman manifold bolts and new ACDelco o2 sensor. Runs noticeably smoother and a bit more responsive (not sure why). The old one had a crack in it but I didn't get a chance to see it. Glad I took it to my mechanic, they struggled on 2 bolts that were stripped, one bolt for about an hour.

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Got new tint all the way around.
ebezygyh.jpg

e4ajetuh.jpg
uhy7yhug.jpg

DenaliHD66

Dec 4, 2011
Been wanting to tint the fronts on mine. Help keep the heat out, since apparently it no longer rains in Pittsburgh :sadcry:

fr34kout

Jan 6, 2012
E85 is a very common gas to use for high powered street cars. Like Juicy K said, as far as tuning and timing, it is similar to 105 octane so you can run more timing and pull more power out of the same engine. The down side is that you get less MPG, and it takes more gas to make that power so you often need to put in a bigger fuel pump, bigger injectors, etc.

But as far as running premium in a car that isn't tuned for it, it makes little to no difference. The octane rating in gasoline basically tells you the amount of stored energy in that grade of fuel. If your car is meant to run on 87 octane and you constantly use 93 octane, you won't be getting the full benefit of the gas, the extra octane is essentially wasted because it is harder to combust a gasoline with a higher octane rating. The higher grade of fuel burns slower, and requires more compression to burn correctly.

The point I'm trying to get across, is that if you tune your truck to use premium gas (91 or 93), then yes of course use it. If you haven't tuned your truck for premium, you're essentially throwing money away by filling up with premium instead of regular. Vehicles have knock sensors to retard timing if they are knocking because you are using a gas below the recommended rating (say putting regular in a Ferrari), but they won't increase timing by using higher grade fuel. At least ours won't without tuning it to do so.

fireman4215

Dec 18, 2011
Sold my old white plastic bumper on Craigslist. Buyer was looking at my truck askin questions so i wrote down the address for him to gmtnation. Who knows maybe we'll see him on here.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Started reorganizing the rear cargo area to be a combination of work and expedition friendly. Still need to put my work case back in but that can wait till I need it regularly again.

ry5azeje.jpg

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Darkrider_LS said:
Started reorganizing the rear cargo area to be a combination of work and expedition friendly. Still need to put my work case back in but that can wait till I need it regularly again.

ry5azeje.jpg

Are you a prepper planning on bugging out soon? :raspberry:

Gave the TB a shower as it is 92 degrees here. The water evaporated as soon as I pulled out of the wash bay!

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:

Gave the TB a shower as it is 92 degrees here. The water evaporated as soon as I pulled out of the wash bay!

Heh...if this weather holds the way it has been for much longer that may be the case...starting to see a bit of mild flooding around town in the lower sections.

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
dmanns67 said:

Wash bay??? Ya lil girl...:raspberry: Just joking bro!!:biggrin: I only go through automatics in the winter.. All hand wash here bud. Plus i have my wifes car i keep lookin fly!

I like getting out there and doing it i dont mind it. But in 90 degree heat if i had to be clean i would have done the same:thumbsup:

Its fun on friday night (weather cooperating) to get home from work wash the truck and go cruise the "strip:rotfl:" and show people what a nice TB looks like!!:yes:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
yodaddy4200 said:
Wash bay??? Ya lil girl...:raspberry: Just joking bro!!:biggrin: I only go through automatics in the winter.. All hand wash here bud. Plus i have my wifes car i keep lookin fly!

I like getting out there and doing it i dont mind it. But in 90 degree heat if i had to be clean i would have done the same:thumbsup:

Its fun on friday night (weather cooperating) to get home from work wash the truck and go cruise the "strip:rotfl:" and show people what a nice TB looks like!!:yes:

It was hand wash. I do not like automatics except in the winter like you, just use auto to get the salt off. I do not have a pressure washer yet so I still use the ones at the car wash.

I was planning on clay bar and wax today, but the wife made plans for us that I was told about at last minute lol. So i did not even get to dry her, but the heat took care of that. Although i do have water spots. Maybe next weekend.

DDonnie

Mar 26, 2012
quick video of why i use my head unit instead of using a stand alone amp

[video=youtube_share;H2yRvF2Vsr8]http://youtu.be/H2yRvF2Vsr8[/video]

05tbowner

Feb 8, 2012
Starting painting my rims gloss black. Come to conclusion that I like the gloss, but I don't like my paint skills. So they will be powdercoated. I still have to paint the other side, but haven't had a chance to finish due to work.

And yes, I have purple calipers. Haha.

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
05tbowner said:
Starting painting my rims gloss black. Come to conclusion that I like the gloss, but I don't like my paint skills. So they will be powdercoated. I still have to paint the other side, but haven't had a chance to finish due to work.

And yes, I have purple calipers. Haha.

The purple calipers dont even look that bad, they actually look pretty good and definitely steering away from everyone else :thumbsup: (the cross drilled rotors complete the look)
But i thought your tb was raised but realized its about the same height as mine but because mine is black you cant really tell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 19

05tbowner

Feb 8, 2012
I also have 275 tires instead of 255, so the sidewall is a LITTLE taller (I think like .3 inches?). Getting lowered...eventually. If my Belltech springs ever come in.

Ryda55555

Apr 11, 2013
05tbowner said:
I also have 275 tires instead of 255, so the sidewall is a LITTLE taller (I think like .3 inches?). Getting lowered...eventually. If my Belltech springs ever come in.

True, i want to lower mine too but scared to because of winter. Might just even out the rear

05tbowner

Feb 8, 2012
Ryda55555 said:
True, i want to lower mine too but scared to because of winter. Might just even out the rear

I was kinda worries about the winter, but with a 2/3 drop (belltech with stock ss struts and shocks), it won't mess with my 4wd ability. Plus I have a set of winter rims and tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online