What commands are given to the VVT at or near 3200 RPM

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
So with this ongoing occasional noise I get in the valvetrain, something has been constant lately and it sounds like some clatter at or around 3200 RPM during normal acceleration. If I accelerate from a stop and pass through 3200 RPM with a shift happening around 3500 RPM, I get a light racket in what sounds like the valvetrain. After I'm at speed, if I downshift to try to duplicate this it's quiet, it's only as I'm accelerating from a stop and it seems to be in 1st and 2nd gear.

At first I thought maybe a flexplate as the torque is higher at a lower ground speed and could affect the noise if it were cracked. However it seems to be coming from the top of the engine.

The other option may be a cam phaser...I'm curious what the PCM commands for the VVT at this speed from a stop...which seems to be right before a shift but not always will it shift if I have a high throttle setting but the noise is generally still present. If I go WOT sometimes I don't hear anything and sometimes it's very brief.

Sometimes I hear the noise at idle and with raising the RPM slightly it goes away completely.

If at a stop, I can raise the RPM to 3200 with no noise.

Just curious what the cam phaser is commanded to do under these circumstances....if anything.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'm not entirely sure but I believe the cam advances as you get up higher, I don't think it's full advance either maybe half and I would assume it backs off advance as it shifts just like timing. Just a guess though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One way to find out would be to hook up a Tech 2 and record a snapshot of what's going on with the VVT.

But, I don't think it's anything with the VVT itself. All that does is change the exhaust cam angle and valve timing. Could be a lifter or possibly the timing chain, IMHO. Interestingly, my 5.3 is doing the exact same thing, sounding like a sewing machine between 3000 and 4000 RPM only during acceleration, sounding like it's coming from the top passenger side. No VVT in this engine. I suspect a dying lifter.

Nexus1155

Jan 26, 2012
It issssss the waterpump and clutch fan. Had it plague me for some time until the coolant started pissing out. Sounds as if a loud vibration from maybe the exhaust or torque converter and only seems to happen at that rpm alone. Enjoy! Give that clutch fan a good wiggle up and down left and right and let me know how you make out.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Last edited:
Reactions: murdog and Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online