What came in your mail today?

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Should you need to purchase bolts for your hitch (and you probably already thought of this) use grade 8 bolts.

Agreed, without reservation (and no harm done -- or offense taken -- for mentioning it). :tiphat:

At this point, given my experiences with this truck, and its intended purpose... my 'default' fastener is a Grade 8. Better safe than sorry. :thumbsup:

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Rock Auto sent my new rear springs. 08 Tahoe OEMs. Hoping like H*** they fit right.
USSpeedo sent my new AQUA background for the instrument panel. Been wanting it for awhile and when they dropped the price 25% for Black Friday i had to jump on it. Looks fabulous in my head, can't wait to see it installed next week.
Going to be a big week for the Envoy coming up!

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Driver's side LCA, since it looks easier to do the whole assembly than press out the old ball joint (though I'm hanging on to the old one for practice).

Now to get RA to send me the zerk that it was supposed to have and didn't. Has the hole, but no zerk anywhere in the package. And no, I can't seem to find the little package I used to have in the tool chest. :sadcry: Even so, it's kind of a matter of principle. If I order something new or even refurbished, if they say it'll come with the part, I expect it to be there!

Attachments

• image000000(10).jpg
    image000000(10).jpg
    541.8 KB · Views: 2

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
A couple of new Skid Factory t-shirts.

The_Skid_Factory_-_Use_Ya_Brain_1024x1024@2x.png

PastedGraphic-2_1024x1024@2x.jpg

And they send me another Gerfinger Poken sticker...this one went on the beer fridge.

NichtGerfinger_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Now to get RA to send me the zerk that it was supposed to have and didn't. Has the hole, but no zerk anywhere in the package. And no, I can't seem to find the little package I used to have in the tool chest. :sadcry: Even so, it's kind of a matter of principle. If I order something new or even refurbished, if they say it'll come with the part, I expect it to be there!
What sucks is that they won't send just the zerk, but just RMA the whole assembly, which is such a waste. Since it'll be classified as 'defective', you won't have to pay freight again, but still...

Another thing that sucks is when you pick up a zerk kit in one format (SAE or metric), and then find that none of the sizes fit the part.
(can you tell I have experience with this? Mine was as a result of finding a Moog part already installed on my Sierra with no fitting, and wanting to replace it.)

Reactions: Redbeard

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
What sucks is that they won't send just the zerk, but just RMA the whole assembly, which is such a waste. Since it'll be classified as 'defective', you won't have to pay freight again, but still...

Another thing that sucks is when you pick up a zerk kit in one format (SAE or metric), and then find that none of the sizes fit the part.
(can you tell I have experience with this? Mine was as a result of finding a Moog part already installed on my Sierra with no fitting, and wanting to replace it.)
Happily, they've already arranged to send me the zerk and cotter pin that should have been included in the package! :smile:

They just wanted to make sure I'd looked through the whole box and packing material before they sent it. S'alright. I'm not feeling well enough at the moment to tackle it anyway (stupid URI), so the delay isn't going to make me :sadcry:

And yes, I've had the same experience, which was another reason I didn't want to go hunt down my own only to find out they're not the right ones. Messed up the threads on a ball joint on my old S10 because of that..and not realizing I had just stripped it. :Banghead:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Received my inner tie-rods from RA however, noticed that they are different. The gold coloured one looks like better quality than the silver one. They are different in several ways. The packaging and included nuts, instructions and thread locker were the same and both were sealed so ??? Box labels says they're made in Taiwan :worried:

PXL_20211217_033651326_resized4067228768493291464.jpgPXL_20211217_033700318_resized2858791413382234717.jpgPXL_20211217_033709671_resized250276355657373109.jpgPXL_20211217_033733668_resized9114579522856539595.jpgPXL_20211217_033948905_resized7710683644618360581.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Pair of rain barrel downspout diverter kits. Many of the complaints were about the plastic spigots, and the knob breaking off. It does feel pretty light, and only takes a 360 degree turn. So I can see if you're thinking it should go farther, you can easily break it. Especially if there's a drip, and you try to crank down on it. Contemplating getting some metal ones with a quarter turn valve for ease. :undecided:

20220119_170419.jpg

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The GM OEM Factory Replacement Under-Hood Lamp for my Y2K Blue Silverado finally arrived this evening.

The "Gravity Switch" DEFINITELY wobbles around inside with a LOT more movement in the New One vs. the *Old, Sketchy* One.

SY2KSILVERADOLAMP1.jpgSY2KSILVERADOLAMP2.jpgSY2KSILVERADOLAMP3.jpgSY2KSILVERADOLAMP4.jpgSY2KSILVERADOLAMP5.jpg

They may look a little different in their sizing in these images ...but are in every single respect otherwise...physically Identical and Well Worth The Wait:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
From Crescent... a Dual Pass-Thru SAE & Metric Ratchet & Set for helping with the R&R of GMT-360 OEM Motor Mounts... and when working with Long Threaded Rod or "U" Bolt Type of Fastening Applications & around the Engine in those "Tight Spots":
CRESCENTPASSTHRU1.jpegCRESCENTPASSTHRU2.jpegCRESCENTPASSTHRU3.jpeg

...and another Nice Bargain came up on Amazon @ $75.00 for the HQ OTC Model #5609 Cylinder Compression Leak-Down Tester Kit:

OTC5609A.jpegOTC5609B.jpeg
OTC5609C.jpegOTC5609D.jpeg
OTC5609E.jpegOTC5609F.jpeg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I hate to invoke the visage of "He Who Shall NOT Be Named Anymore at GMTN" but his Initials are 'SK' and he served me well hereras motivation for what follows:

After seeing Keith DeFazio from New Line Auto walking us through how he Updated a Problem Module on a Pontiac Gran Prix, explaining that,

"With Rare Exception... it can ONLY be updated using a Tech 2..."

He continued experimenting with a few of his other High $$$ Scanners in his Shop until.he and "Crazy Ivan" from PHAD (Pine Hollow Auto Diagnostics) discovered that, "Hey... THIS OLD Autel Maxi-Das DS708 CAN also do that Update TOO." Then Keith chimed in with, "Oh Yeah.... That's 'SK's' Favorite Scanner...You Should Check it out on YouTube..."

So ...THAT is exactly what I DID....

And Whaddaya Know?
Soon afterwards, I found this Complete, Up-To-Date Autel Maxi-Das DS-708 Scanner Pro Set Up Kit available (among quite a few other Offers) for only $399.00 over on eBay.

I thought, "WTH... My Taxes are Due and I DO have a Little Bread coming back to me ...so...WTH!" I 'Pulled The Pin' on February 10th, 2022 and Nine Days later...THIS is what arrived Tonight:

AUTELMAXIDASDS708A.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708C.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708B.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708D.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708E.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708F.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708G.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708H.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708I.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708J.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708K.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708L.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708M.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708N.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708O.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708P.jpgAUTELMAXIDASDS708Q.jpg
and now ... I just can't stop Grinning... :>)

If anyone else is interested, I'll do a Write Up**** in the "Other Scanners" Thread explaining how I managed to copy the (8) Gig, Older Style OEM SD Card Vehicle Data and Autel Factory Files over to a (32) Gig SD Card..."Byte for Byte"... using Linux.and then Created a Larger Storage Back-Up SD Card...with every single feature on this "Lightly Used" Scanner WORKING PERFECTLY after I Plugged it inside!

Thanks Keith....and....Thanks Ivan !

**** I've Added the Autel MAXI-DAS DS-708 Scan Tool Kit Write Up over here:

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
After scouring my inventory of the various OBD2 DLC Port Adapters shown in the Autel Maxi-Das DS-708 Scan Tool Kit mentioned in Post# 2,177, I decided that the MOST Worn Out One of that set was the Standard OBD2 DLC Adapter for GM Vehicles. I'm always superstitious about having "The Weakest Electrical Link in The Chain" jump up and bite me, so replacing these items seems worth doing by anyone with similar equipment.

I found an eBay Vendor offering the actual Autel OEM Versions for only around $10.00 per unit. And since I also have the AutoBoss VB-300 Scan Tool Kit sporting the very same DLC Intermediate Cable, I ordered a Pair of these as OEM Quality Replacements.

Anytime you have any 'intermediary' Cable-To-Adapter items in the Electrical Scan Tool Path... it's good to ensure they won't Crap Out at the worst possible times (...for Example... When Updating GM PCMs & ECUs with New Calibrations):

AUTELMXIDASOBD2ADAPTER1.jpgAUTELMXIDASOBD2ADAPTER3.jpg
AUTELMXIDASOBD2ADAPTER2.jpg

I also wanted to get a greater assortment of BNC Banana Connector Style Probe Harnesses for my various Oscillioscopes AND obtain the Extra Long Battery Harness-To-Cigarette Lighter Adapter Combo Harness Set. These will serve to ease my concerns over ever losing 12 Volts DC Power to either the Autel Maxi-Das DS-708 or the AutoBoss VB-300 Scan Tools.

This Combo Set is EXTRA-LONG and allows one to choose either a 'Direct To Battery Post' Power Harness with a Fusible Link... or to use the Cigarette Lighter-to-Scan Tool Optional Power Harness, depending upon conditions at hand.

I suspect that I can also use these Power Cables with my "GYMKO" Tech 2 just as well, giving a much greater freedom to move around the Vehicle during Testing and Diagnostics

BNCPOWERPROBSITEMS1.jpgBNCPOWERPROBSITEMS3.jpg

Also... to "Top Off" my Power Probe 3 (12-24 Volts DC) Kit... I wanted to populate it with a complete set of Long Piercing, Locking BNC Cable Wire Probes AND also get the Unique Power Probe 3 Head Adapter that will reliably and safely allow for probing Modules with (+) 5 Volts DC and not put the PCM or BCM or other Class 2 Network Modules at Risk whenever doing so:

BNCPOWERPROBSITEMS4.jpgBNCPOWERPROBSITEMS5.jpg

And last for this batch of common problem solvers, is another High Quality Lighted Pin Probe for confirming Powers & Grounds and testing Circuits under LOADED Conditions. This one is especially nice to work with AND it comes with a Replacement Spring Bulb, too:
LOADEDCIRCUITLIGHTPROBE1.jpg
LOADEDCIRCUITLIGHTPROBE2.jpg
LOADEDCIRCUITLIGHTPROBE3.jpgLOADEDCIRCUITLIGHTPROBE4.jpg

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The cigarette lighter cell phone charger that goes with my dash mount died, so got a dual USB quick charger to replace it. This way when I have a passenger that also needs a charge, they can plug right in.

Also finally got around to ordering a door check to replace the creaky one that's been a constant with this truck for as long as I can remember :rolleyes:

20220407_150500.jpg

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Both front door weather strips and the full length above door weather strips for the Yukon. Rear door pieces were replaced a few months ago

If you're in the market, get them now, GM is really going full stupid on cutting off supply before the 10 year mark right now.

Screenshot_20220408-164739_Gallery.jpg

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
It didn't exactly come in the MAIL, the FedEx truck brought it.
002.JPG

003.JPG

That is a bumper spacer for a Trailblazer. It fits between the top of the frame rails and the bumper cover. I also bought a bumper and bumper cover from the local automotive recycling facility a couple weeks ago. I have this hare-brained idea of mounting a winch between the frame rails. I have it pretty well figured out what I'm going to do. I want to retain the stock bumper look as much as possible, and I wish to keep the original bumper and bumper cover just in case I ever decide to go back to stock.
During one of my expeditions to U-Pull-It I took some measurements of a frame/bumper/bumper cover to get an idea of what I would need to do and how to mount things. The bumper cover I removed to get to the frame rails had a foam piece that fell out onto the ground. I didn't know what it was, and wish now I had gotten it because it's long gone! It was an insert that went inside the spacer pictured above. I could buy one online, but when this https://www.redgreen.com/ is one of your favorite TV shows, you don't think like that. Of course, if that is one of your favorite TV shows, thinking is probably something you don't do too much of anyway!
The solution:
004.JPG

Yup. Expand-O-Foam! That should make a nice tight filler!
I need to bring my build thread over from 'the other place'. I'll have to work on that.

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
Replacement pallet and latch for my Platt toolcase that used to hold my telecom tools, but now houses my tech 2, and a wireless camera and solar panel.

There have been a couple of car break-ins on my street, so I'm hoping the camera will be a deterrent. I'm sure the HOA will whine about it. At the very least, maybe it'll catch a good image of the hawk that keeps visiting. My neighbor feeds the birds, so the hawk stops by for mobile meals every now and then... :wink:

The original Platt pallet pockets crumbled, and the latch kept jamming, but the size of the case was right for the Tech 2 and all the accessories, so it was time for a refurb. It was not something I could repair with duct tape. Sorry Red Green! (love that show! :smile: )

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 6
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 6

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
The majority of my cameras are Reolink as well, they've held up great over the years. Image quality takes a step down with the night vision, but for the price point they're hard to beat. :thumbsup:
Good to know, thanks! I was going by overall description and various online reviews, but it's nice to have *real* feedback. :smile: Not too worried about the decrease in night vision. I'm hoping that the spotlight coming on will be enough of a deterrent. There are also front porch lights that cast enough light outward that they'll help illuminate the area of concern without interfering with the sensor.:thumbsup:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Got a new phone case, since some of the rubber bits of my current one are coming apart. Hayden 678 cooler to replace my Tru Cool, that is no longer cooling (suspect a broken/clogged thermal bypass), and a replacement windshield shade for my previous one who's pull handle broke and epoxy didn't work to fix it for more than a day or 2.

Tried to upsize the shade to close some of the gap at the top and bottom, but turns out I was already maxed as this one wouldn't fit between the dash and headliner, as well as fit on the brackets on the windshield, so it'll have to go back. :worried:

20220417_160528.jpg

flyboy2610

Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Stopped by the UPS Customer Center and picked up the shock boots I bought to replace the pair I know I have around here but cannot find!
I'll probably find the first pair tomorrow. Ain't that the way it goes? :frown:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got these Torx-Plus sockets to be able to work on the tranny in the Caprice. The valve body/TEHCM uses a TP-10. Figured I'd get the whole set.

PXL_20220526_171551779_resized5049218639865252467.jpg

Then got this from our trip to LI last month. Just like the last time, it's just a stupid little amount that doesn't make any sense to send it here with the cost of postage, envelopes, staff, etc. Like, that could be a way to promote tourism by giving out of country passenger plates a free pass. Funny though that I didn't get nailed when I crossed the Verazzano which is supposedly quite pricey. Maybe they don't have an agreement with the Ontario Ministry of Transportation to access plate info.

PXL_20220526_171536092_resized6672586286163282464.jpg

NY wants its $3! I'll pay it just to avoid problems with the local constabulary.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
It's No Secret ...How enamored I am of using Oscilloscopes for Improved and Skillful Automotive Diagnostics. And yes... by now it's too clear that I can pick and choose from quite a variety of these Specialty Tools to do such interesting tasks.

But while over on eBay recently... I started thinking about 'maybe' also getting the Snap-On MODIS 4 Channel Scanner-Oscilloscope in a Full Kit and if possible, One with the Software Update being at LEAST up to the 14.2 Level ... HIGH enough to cover vehicles past 2013 or so...

So Yeah... I found quite a few in the $850.00 range that MIGHT Fit The Bill... But after looking their images over very closely, I spied some "SF&S" (Suspicious F****ery & S**T) Going On that I Did NOT Especially Like. So... No. NOPE... Not YET, Yo!

Anyhoo...
while doing all of this peeking & poking about over there... I spotted THIS Bargain and The Serendipity Gods of the Universe Parted the Clouds to Reveal THIS:

SNAPONMODISBALLCAP0.jpg

WELL HELL !!! For Seven Bucks... AND it's got Tri-Color Oscilloscope PWM Square Waves in its Motif? OMG!!!

Are you Kidding ME! WTF, THIS Has GOT to Be FATE, Dude... And I Have Just GOTTA Have THIS HAT, Right? And so... The BNIB "Oscilloscopic Lid " Just Arrived ...
:>)

SNAPONMODISBALLCAP1.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP2.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP3.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP4.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP5.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP6.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP7.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP8.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP9.jpgSNAPONMODISBALLCAP10.jpg

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
After replacing the chain and cable assembly, and breaking the idler pulley, I ordered a new pulley that was supposed to arrive 6/25. Got delayed and was supposed to arrive 6/26 or 6/27, but didn't show. Requested a refund and reordered from a different seller. Well both items showed up today... :blinkhuh:

Did see some reviews of people complaining about the plastic replacements breaking, the 2nd one I ordered is marked OEM, the previous one is a knock off. Guess which one I went with? :undecided: Other will be a spare just in case

20220629_170042.jpg 20220629_170055.jpg

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Radio & 6 CD changer that will be used for practicing repairs (lights, CD) as well as possible donor. First up will be disassembly to get at the CD changer (looks like there is a disc stuck inside). Saw a post a while back where @TJBaker57 described a successful fix for this exact problem.

20220702_152038.jpg

Update: Turns out there was a George Strait CD included at no extra charge! Took a while but it is now out of the CD unit. Next step will be to determine what/where defective mechanism(s) lurk. Per @TJBaker57's post there are several spots that likely need to be lubricated. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

azswiss

May 23, 2021
Tempe, AZ
Update #2: Rereading @TJBaker57's posts and comparing with the unit in hand it looks like the two likely main culprits are the mechanisms used to move the CD's into & out of the unit, and into and out of play mode. They can both be reached by simply removing the top cover on the CD mechanism; removal of the unit from the radio is not necessary.

20220703_134559.jpg

20220703_134714.jpg

Mechanism #1 is located in the front right and was found to be quite sticky. Applied a little silicone while working the slider mechanism gently by hand. Definitely a lot freer movement now.

20220703_134859.jpg

Mechanism #2 is located in the rear left. This one cannot by moved as it appears to be gear driven. Applied a little silicone here as well.

20220703_135002.jpg

Pretty straightforward disassembly, lube & reassembly. Next step will be to confirm the fix by swapping out the CD unit currently in the truck with the one I just serviced and then exercising with some actual CD's.

Last edited:

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
My new Asus Vivobook was delivered to the office today. It's a 16" screen, so slight downsize from my 17" HP, but the 4K resolution is infinitely nicer. :biggrin: And of course the components are light years ahead of what I had. Displaying my camera feeds would have the HP pegged at 100% on the CPU, with this one it doesn't even notice and rests comfortably at 3%. :cool:

It came with a corded mouse (I guess they are trying to give away old stock) that will get tossed in a drawer somewhere. The carry bag seems useful. The straps are adjustable so it can be carried by hand, or as a backpack. Had been a fan of my HP backpack style carry bag, but this is a lot less bulky, and I don't travel with a lot of extras anymore anyway.

20220706_112753.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online