What bypass do I need for an excalibur alarm/remote start?

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:
The unit below is the one that I am looking at getting, i was wondering if anyone can tell me which bypass i need to go with it. Also, is there anything else i would need to go along with this? I'm probably going to have it installed by a local shop and dont want to buy any parts from them.

Amazon.com: Excalibur AL-1830-EDPB Deluxe Two Way Alarm Remote Start: Car Electronics

You don't need a seperate bypass with these kits. There is a "blade" that is programmed to your specific vehicle that handles the bypass function. I'm not the biggest fan of the brand, but have heard success stories with them. Shop I work at does quite a few installs with them, just not my personal preference. Can be somewhat of a cleaner install if you have space restraints though, as it eliminates the need for a second module (the bypass)

With that said, you need to either have the hardware to program the blade, have it programmed before you have it shipped or have access to a dealer that can program it for you.

Hope that helps...

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
You don't need a seperate bypass with these kits. There is a "blade" that is programmed to your specific vehicle that handles the bypass function. I'm not the biggest fan of the brand, but have heard success stories with them. Shop I work at does quite a few installs with them, just not my personal preference. Can be somewhat of a cleaner install if you have space restraints though, as it eliminates the need for a second module (the bypass)

With that said, you need to either have the hardware to program the blade, have it programmed before you have it shipped or have access to a dealer that can program it for you.

Hope that helps...

This one doesnt seem to come with the blade, I believe it is compatible but doesnt come with it. Is there a bypass that would work with this so i dont have to worry about getting it programmed?

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:
This one doesnt seem to come with the blade, I believe it is compatible but doesnt come with it. Is there a bypass that would work with this so i dont have to worry about getting it programmed?

hmmm not sure that the unit will work without the blade...if you look at the back, it has a port for it.
I will look into it later tonight for you though

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
hmmm not sure that the unit will work without the blade...if you look at the back, it has a port for it.
I will look into it later tonight for you though

Thanks man, I could be mistaken.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:
Thanks man, I could be mistaken.

ok from what I see, you're gonna be much better off picking up a blade and programming it (one of the various ways I mentioned)
you said looking at getting, so I assume you haven't purchased it yet? (unless you're like me, and impatient as hell hahaha)

Here is the blade that you will need to use with the Excalibur unit.

Omega OL-BLADE-AL-64 (olbladeal64) 64-Bit Blade Style Doorlock and Bypass for All Vehicles

Now, before you go out and purchase anything, my recommendation to you, is to check around locally and see what shops can program what bypass modules.
Yea, you may save $50 on one brand over another, but when you figure in that you have to drive 2 hours to find a dealer that can program it, or send it in, have it programmed and then wait to get it back, well that's just maddening for me. :hissyfit:

I would rather spend a few for bucks and get something I know will work when and how I need it to.
Another thing, seems trivial, but I didn't know it when I dove head first into the alarm/remote start project the first time lol
just because the bypass is designed for a specific vehicle, doesn't mean that it's preloaded with the correct firmware. I ran into that issue and it was driving me up the wall for days, and someone on here mentioned it and it hit me that I was overlooking something so simple. :duh:

Looking back at it now, the install would have been SO much easier had I just taken the time to plan it out correctly.

you will see some of my facepalm questions on here as I was getting quite frustrated with the project. Learn from my mistakes haha take your time.

2002-2007 trailblazer r/s pictorial

and I know the OS is taboo...but this write-up helped me considerably
search for viper 5901 install and aswer25 has a pretty detailed how-to on it as well.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
ok from what I see, you're gonna be much better off picking up a blade and programming it (one of the various ways I mentioned)
you said looking at getting, so I assume you haven't purchased it yet? (unless you're like me, and impatient as hell hahaha)

Here is the blade that you will need to use with the Excalibur unit.

Omega OL-BLADE-AL-64 (olbladeal64) 64-Bit Blade Style Doorlock and Bypass for All Vehicles

Now, before you go out and purchase anything, my recommendation to you, is to check around locally and see what shops can program what bypass modules.
Yea, you may save $50 on one brand over another, but when you figure in that you have to drive 2 hours to find a dealer that can program it, or send it in, have it programmed and then wait to get it back, well that's just maddening for me. :hissyfit:

I would rather spend a few for bucks and get something I know will work when and how I need it to.
Another thing, seems trivial, but I didn't know it when I dove head first into the alarm/remote start project the first time lol
just because the bypass is designed for a specific vehicle, doesn't mean that it's preloaded with the correct firmware. I ran into that issue and it was driving me up the wall for days, and someone on here mentioned it and it hit me that I was overlooking something so simple. :duh:

Looking back at it now, the install would have been SO much easier had I just taken the time to plan it out correctly.

you will see some of my facepalm questions on here as I was getting quite frustrated with the project. Learn from my mistakes haha take your time.

2002-2007 trailblazer r/s pictorial

and I know the OS is taboo...but this write-up helped me considerably
search for viper 5901 install and aswer25 has a pretty detailed how-to on it as well.

Thanks a ton for this info, the 12 volt article should help. As far as programming, you can purchase the programming module for pretty cheap and their website for the programming codes doesnt require any proof that you are a dealer in order to sign up, i've had an account there for a couple of weeks with no trouble.:smile:

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I plan to purchase an excalibur 1830-EDPB along with an OmegaLink OL-BLADE-AL to connect in my trailblazer. I was wondering if anyone would be able to assist me with making sure i'm not connecting wires that I don't need to connect. The manuals are listed below.

1830 - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wYDAAQ&usg=AFQjCNEPcDp_xsqVlclxATpDA7pyq4HLZg

OL-Blade-AL - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...t7kK4Vgau9a5HWXyM_kzw&bvm=bv.1354675689,d.aWc

From what i can tell, i need to connect everything from the 6 pin power harness, the ground, the hood pin, the siren, and from the blade the orange data wire to the obd2 connector. From there im not sure what else.

Also, do we need to connect the brown accessory wire? And if so, is a relay required?

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
View attachment 25404

These are all of the connections on the module

View attachment 25405

And these are the ones i think i need to make. The ones with a question mark are the ones that i am really questioning.

Attachments

• connections whole.jpg
    connections whole.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
  • connections modified.jpg
    connections modified.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 7
  • connections whole.jpg
    connections whole.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 13
  • connections modified.JPG
    connections modified.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 12

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have this exact alarm. I did not use the blade I used the GMDLBP module, wiring was straight forward and took about 3 hours to install. If you look in the audio section back around March, MAY03LT helped me with the wiring schematic and every connection that is needed is listed. The bypass I bought was like $15. Check out sonic electronic for the alarm. I got Mike with a lot of extra stuff for $199. Everything works flawlessly, I did not see a reason to spend the money on the blade system, was $80 when I did mine.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_10862_Omega-DB-GMDLBP.html

http://gmtnation.com/f36/alarm-remote-start-questions-1636/

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
blazinlow89 said:

Your thread is one of the reasons i started looking into this alarm. That bypass was discontinued though i believe. Also, with the blade, it's supposed to eliminate a TON of those connections, and TBH, the less wiring the better. Did you end up using the t-taps in your system? How did they work out? Which size did you need?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
No, if you look on YouTube there is a guy called thelessco. He has a five part series on rs install I used this method but used stretch tape and zip ties to secure and cover everything. I stripped about 2 inches off each wire, used a scribe to open up a hole in the center and wrapped the end of the wire I was attaching around 3 for 4 times. Wrapped with tape and zip ties. I did use t taps on smaller wires like the brake and blinker wire.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
No, if you look on YouTube there is a guy called thelessco. He has a five part series on rs install I used this method but used stretch tape and zip ties to secure and cover everything. I stripped about 2 inches off each wire, used a scribe to open up a hole in the center and wrapped the end of the wire I was attaching around 3 for 4 times. Wrapped with tape and zip ties. I did use t taps on smaller wires like the brake and blinker wire.

Yea, that's the one i was thinking of doing, glad to hear that it worked out for you. Now if I can just figure out which wires are needed and which are not.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
dcmtnbkr said:
Yea, that's the one i was thinking of doing, glad to hear that it worked out for you. Now if I can just figure out which wires are needed and which are not.

I want to say the bypass module had 12 wires most of which connected to the alarm. I want to say that total connections to the truck was about 12 or 15. 3 grounds, the 6 pin harness which connected to the wires for account, starter, and constant, the brake lead, dome light supervision, data, and power for the module. I may have forgotten one or two, but everything in the wire sheet that MAY03LT made is what I did. Works flawlessly.

I can forward you some of the pm's between me and MAY03 that has some info I never put into the thread. You would just need to wait until I get off work, here till 2330.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I want to say the bypass module had 12 wires most of which connected to the alarm. I want to say that total connections to the truck was about 12 or 15. 3 grounds, the 6 pin harness which connected to the wires for account, starter, and constant, the brake lead, dome light supervision, data, and power for the module. I may have forgotten one or two, but everything in the wire sheet that MAY03LT made is what I did. Works flawlessly.

I can forward you some of the pm's between me and MAY03 that has some info I never put into the thread. You would just need to wait until I get off work, here till 2330.

Did you end up doing anything for the anti grind?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
This is from my original thread on the alarm install posted from MAY.

Orange Wire - Starter Interrupt (-) Output & Relay
This provides 500mA negative ground while the alarm is armed for starter kill and/or during
remote start for anti-grind operation. The operation is selectable with user feature #4.
CONNECTION: This wire is connected to the orange input wire on the included start interrupt
relay socket. Then, locate the vehicle’s (+) starter wire at the ignition switch and cut it. Connect
the starter interrupt relay’s RED wire to the ignition switch side of the cut starter wire. Connect the
starter interrupt relay’s WHITE wire to the starter side of the cut starter wire
To starter relay orange

It took me a little while to realize exactly what was going on here. Basically the starter interrupt relay has 3 wires, the small Orange wire goes to the orange wire from the 18 pin harness on the brain (small wire, not big one on 6 pin harness). The other 2 wires go to the respective location listed, when you cut the starter wire on the vehicle the violet wire (6 pin harness) and the white wire go to the starter side of the wire you cut. The red goes to the ignition side (from the starter interrupt relay).

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
This is from my original thread on the alarm install posted from MAY.

It took me a little while to realize exactly what was going on here. Basically the starter interrupt relay has 3 wires, the small Orange wire goes to the orange wire from the 18 pin harness on the brain (small wire, not big one on 6 pin harness). The other 2 wires go to the respective location listed, when you cut the starter wire on the vehicle the violet wire (6 pin harness) and the white wire go to the starter side of the wire you cut. The red goes to the ignition side (from the starter interrupt relay).

Hey, did you use a relay for the acc2 or did you reprogram the dome light output?

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Honestly I think this is the part that sort of baffled MAY. I am not positive but I do know that in the instructions he wrote I had to run a relay to different wires in the area under the knee bolster/kick panel area. I did not run that relay and have had no problems. The thing I do not remember is if I tapped it with ACC1 or left it unhooked. It was cold and dark when I did this (February between 7pm and 11pm, playing with features). For the dome light monitoring I tapped into the (-) side from what I remember it was easy.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
I used a relay for my acc2, just used the acc wire for the trigger...it's pretty straight forward
I used the DBall bypass, no worries my way so far ::fingers crossed::
any news on this? sorry about going MIA for a while, things have been a bit chaotic

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
NinjuhhNutz said:
I used a relay for my acc2, just used the acc wire for the trigger...it's pretty straight forward
I used the DBall bypass, no worries my way so far ::fingers crossed::
any news on this? sorry about going MIA for a while, things have been a bit chaotic

Yea, i got everything in. I didnt end up using the acc2 and it seems to be just fine. I love the kit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online