What are you towing with yours ????

tcurlee

Mar 28, 2015
E070BA86-3CEB-45E4-A7BF-3D2A40A296FE_zpsh92vhvnt.jpg
I was referring to Redrockets post with my questions. ... also, any problems with front bumper clearance getting it up on the trailer ?

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
I just did a 1150 km tow to buy a $600 fishing boat in Wisconsin. Drive went smoothly back to Canada. Picture taken overlooking the Straits of Mackinac in Michigan. Trailer cost extra.

y4m2bwzvNSGE-0aTiUpjSIpoxK31yPk5GmA00UJyYECIKiZQqEQ0vYGfsZXW7YAWp-sSONwsyMBTZ4phuaXhtUEYbfDROrdxZF9Sizi1qpXcYMF-AnyIJ9OY2QNG-zcMNS2sd_jkXEwC9fCfpecmBfrxyW_AB8vaO2QPpOAWCICWuUP6cFuv0BOFD4NrfIlVo45fTwcHERmAMlkFm4yQ-UgRw

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You're not likely to get a response. RR hasn't been here since Aug. 2017

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I know this post is >2yrs old but I have an 05 Envoy FWD 4.2L SWB W/ 190,000+ miles on it and I want to pull a 2 axle car trailer w/ an 02 TransAm on it. I was scanning thru this thread and yours piqued my interest b/c its basically the same set up. What have you done to yours to enable it to tow that weight. any tips you might give me? btw,, nice Camaro !! mine's got mostly suspension mods as I take mine Auto-X-ing.

Hi, you quoted my post but I am not the one that owns the red Camaro, that belongs to @RedRocketZ28.

My tips are to add a trans cooler. Make sure you understand the tongue weight capacity for your rig and how it is calculated. If not a surge brake trailer, consider a Tekonsha P3 brake controller.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'm not responding for a 'like'...
Looks like a telescopic (space) frame

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
Two guesses I have seen this kind of structure used for: Antenna tower, or, stadium/stage lighting/sound support beams.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015

gpking

Dec 27, 2013
Berkeley Springs, WV
Looks like a telescopic (space) frame
Antenna tower, or, stadium/stage lighting/sound support beams.
Bow_Tied got it! Antenna tower is one of its intended functions.
It's actually also a pretty clever mechanism for standing up and taking down fully-assembled tower structures up to twice as tall:
It attaches to a solid tower with a hook, then a series of pulleys, and the power of a second vehicle raises or lowers the neighboring tower.
A pretty odd thing, but it fills a niche need.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Towed a tandem axle trailer with a zero turn on it. Barely felt it except braking. Not sure why it insists on being upside down but whatever. :weird:2BEAC53E-53DF-4A9B-8D2E-30867BBDC480.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Fixed it for ya!

Reactions: wstuckey1

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Apart from the ability of editing any post, all I did was download your pic, open it in Windows Picture Viewer, rotate it and re-upload it.

Were you using your phone or computer?

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
Phone. When I originally uploaded it the picture showed upside down so I deleted it and went into my pictures, spun it around, and re-uploaded it. It was still upside down. So I returned it to original and I uploaded it and it was still upside down so I just sent it.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I find the rotation thing on phones interferes with picture orientation. I've had pictures that I took one way shows up the other, even on the phone. In that case, I have to download it and fix it on the computer.

Reactions: wstuckey1

Martyelzz4

Jan 3, 2013
Sprague, WA
I find the rotation thing on phones interferes with picture orientation. I've had pictures that I took one way shows up the other, even on the phone. In that case, I have to download it and fix it on the computer.

I use Microsoft Paint to open pictures I take on my phone and just save it in the right position. Then I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to resize and correct brightness/contrast. Mostly because they are free... well the picture manager came with office 2007 which I refuse to replace with newer products since I paid for it long ago and it still works with Win 10.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I use an old WinXP Powertoy called Picture Resizer. Somebody ported it to newer Windows versions and I use it all the time. The regular picture viewer automatically saves a rotated picture.

Reactions: Martyelzz4

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Well the Tb has not been hooked up to a trailer since the fall of 2013 I believe. A small single axle enclosed. Now fast forward, the wife and I are thinking of downsizing our 5 horse gooseneck to "gasp" a bumper pull... Had originally thought of getting a 4 horse with a weekender quarters or larger mid tack and get a small 2 horse bumper pull for emergencies. Something that any of our vehicles could pull. But she is reducing the amount of horses she trains and shows so even a 4 horse would be overkill so thinking of splitting the difference and get a light 3 horse angle haul. It would easily be at or above the tow limit of the TB but would be towed by it in a pinch (if the diesel or rez truck are gone or wont start) if one horse needed to go from the farm to the vet clinic, which is 23km distance. While I love my Tb, nothing can touch my Ram 3500 CTD for towing but you have to think ahead and have a backup.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas

wstuckey1

Apr 11, 2018
Fenton MI
oh, my bad. Do you know if that is a 4.2 or a 5.3? :helpme:
It’s a 4.2. If you go to someone’s profile and click “about” it will usually tell what engine they have. Unless they didn’t include that info.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
A Little bit older here, But I towed a Bobcat Skidsteer, and Trailer, with my Envoy last year. The trailer brakes, I didnt find out till afterward, didnt work. Somehow, I smoked my REAR brakes doing this. I thought this was really weird because the braking bias is not proportioned to the rear..

Any thoughts on this?

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
A Little bit older here, But I towed a Bobcat Skidsteer, and Trailer, with my Envoy last year. The trailer brakes, I didnt find out till afterward, didnt work. Somehow, I smoked my REAR brakes doing this. I thought this was really weird because the braking bias is not proportioned to the rear..

Any thoughts on this?

Do our rigs have a load sensing brake proportioning valve? I know my old Pathfinder had that, add weight to the back end and there was a change in bake proportioning. The valve in that truck was on the body and connected to the axle via a spring.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Do our rigs have a load sensing brake proportioning valve? I know my old Pathfinder had that, add weight to the back end and there was a change in bake proportioning. The valve in that truck was on the body and connected to the axle via a spring.

I dont know to be honest. I know Ford Taurus has them, but not sure on the GMT.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
AFAIK, no. Just an ABS module and valves. Later models have Stabilitrak but that doesn't do anything for brake proportioning. Just traction control and stabilizing the vehicle that loses traction in a turn by applying the brakes.

cody_s

Dec 6, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bow_Tied got it! Antenna tower is one of its intended functions.
It's actually also a pretty clever mechanism for standing up and taking down fully-assembled tower structures up to twice as tall:
It attaches to a solid tower with a hook, then a series of pulleys, and the power of a second vehicle raises or lowers the neighboring tower.
A pretty odd thing, but it fills a niche need.
That's a pretty nifty setup. Are you a ham radio guy? I know some of the emergency comms people love mobile towers on those types of setups.

6x12 aluminum enclosed trailer. Pulls great, but I'm gonna hook up a trans cooler before any long trips with it.

Reactions: Mooseman

Drec

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jan 29, 2018
Yakima, Washington
I have been using mine to tow a 10' cargo trailer and my car trailer; which has been going on for about 6 months. The trip back and forth between the old house and new house is 125 miles, one way; which has been happening about twice a week, with one or the other trailer.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Was Towing my 10' enclosed aluminum sled trailer all over the place all winter. However it's up for sale as it is too short for my newest sled and it punched a hole in front with a ski. Picked up a 12' enclosed at the government auction at a sweet price and it fits perfectly.

Old trailer (sorry for the glare):IMG_20190425_165252.jpgIMG_20190210_125406.jpg

New trailer:

FS1843160.JPEG

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Your old trailer, I have its White identical twin sitting in my backyard. Great trailers, holds all 3 of my quads.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.